Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
So yet another personal example which means little in the big picture. His personal example doesn't mean much in the big picture discussion.
Dude,

You REALLY think having gone to UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA gives you the right to prance around and say Top 50 this and Top 50 that. You've gotta be kidding me.

Most of my friends went to Ivy League Universities. One of them has a JD/MBA and makes about 42K a year. None of them go around saying I went to a top 10 school this and that. That is a quick way to get yourself despised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Not necessarily unfair. I had to start working at 17 to learn my trade. Went home every day smelling of sweat, cutting fluid, oil and filth. Employer taught me everything he knew in exchange for doing work that most people were not willing to do. Had to listen to my parents telling me I was wasting my life. All in all, I have no complaints
I've got no problem with skilled trades making good $. In NYC, steamfitters in the union can make $50/hr. And its hard work and necessary work. I respect those guys.

I just wish I made a leeettle more considering my education...

Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 PM

29,803 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
That on average going to college will make you more successful. I know this is the statement that drives you to post the same thing over and over here but that is the reality until you break it down further.

Since you like talking about your job. Is the kid that goes to some tier 3 school because mom and dad tell him he has to going to be more successful than a smart HS grad who gets himself into a skilled trade? No, probably not. That fact however doesn't change the overall big picture however, it's just a very small sample.

College isn't for everyone just like a trade isn't for the kid who can go on to a top school and be very successful.
Well, since this is a work and employment forum, I only can discuss work and employment based on my experiences. What else am I going to post about, the fart I heard in the next cubical over???

With regards to college making you more successful, I would disagree. YOU, and only YOU will make YOU successful. That formula has never changed and it never will. We've told an entire generation that they can go to college and be successful, but we've neglected to tell them they must also work extremely hard and make great sacrifices in time and personal life. Frankly, you can work hard in anything you want as there are plenty of paths to success, and sometimes, success if based on the individual. For example, a CEO wouldn't see himself as successful until perhaps hes driving an expensive sports car, while most struggling artists would be satisfied being able to pay next months rent.

None the less, I feel if you take two equally motivated individuals and sent one to college, and the other out into the workforce early, there's a strong possibility they would both end up close to being equal by age 50. We've sent our best and brightest to college, along with marginally intelligent people and some not so smart people. There are not that many bright and intellectually competent people running around with just a high school degree, so any graph or statistic your going to find would very well support your theory.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Dude,

You REALLY think having gone to UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA gives you the right to prance around and say Top 50 this and Top 50 that. You've gotta be kidding me.

Most of my friends went to Ivy League Universities. One of them has a JD/MBA and makes about 42K a year. None of them go around saying I went to a top 10 school this and that. That is a quick way to get yourself despised.
It's very relevant to the topic actually. The top schools attract the top talent.

I'm not sure what your friend who makes less than about every Ivy school grad has to do with this. Personal examples mean little in a debate on a high level like this.

Last edited by Gatornation; 08-07-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Well, since this is a work and employment forum, I only can discuss work and employment based on my experiences. What else am I going to post about, the fart I heard in the next cubical over???

With regards to college making you more successful, I would disagree. YOU, and only YOU will make YOU successful. That formula has never changed and it never will. We've told an entire generation that they can go to college and be successful, but we've neglected to tell them they must also work extremely hard and make great sacrifices in time and personal life. Frankly, you can work hard in anything you want as there are plenty of paths to success, and sometimes, success if based on the individual. For example, a CEO wouldn't see himself as successful until perhaps hes driving an expensive sports car, while most struggling artists would be satisfied being able to pay next months rent.

None the less, I feel if you take two equally motivated individuals and sent one to college, and the other out into the workforce early, there's a strong possibility they would both end up close to being equal by age 50. We've sent our best and brightest to college, along with marginally intelligent people and some not so smart people. There are not that many bright and intellectually competent people running around with just a high school degree, so any graph or statistic your going to find would very well support your theory.
Sure it's up to the person. The reason the data shows college is due to the fact that most of the group of intelligent and driven people who graduate HS will go on to college.

I really don't see many people who disagree with your whole point in this thread or any other. I think you can do a much better job of making it however. The problem you talking about with not finding jobs and having a ton of debt comes down to the kid who did average in HS and went to some tier three school. The debate should be this kid needs to be told that going into a trade might be a better choice. He may not even have the drive or talent to get into a highly skilled trade but that doesn't mean it's still not a better option.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
It's very relevant to the topic actually. The top schools attract the top talent.

I'm not sure what your friend who makes less than about every Ivy school grad has to do with this.
I'm going to ASSUME you are a real person and not a troll.

In which case, I'm going to be a nice guy and give you a lesson in reality.

The school you went to won't mean nearly as much as you think it does. It will help you somewhat to get into better grad schools. It will definitely help you get into better law and medical schools if that is your route.

And if it's your first job, and your major is finance or engineering, it might help you get your first job.

But after that, you are going to be judged on how well you 'play the game', meaning work hard, kiss arse, and interact with your co-workers. You will see what I mean when somebody who went to Jacksonville State gets promoted ahead of you because he either works harder than you, plays the game better or is flat out smarter.

And lastly, I have NEVER seen somebody that went to the University of Florida prancing around and boasting about his school like it was some kind of phenomenal feat to get in and graduate. I mean, yea, it's an OK school, but having a condescending attitude towards lesser schools because you went THERE. Wow...

Old 08-07-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I'm going to ASSUME you are a real person and not a troll.

In which case, I'm going to be a nice guy and give you a lesson in reality.

The school you went to won't mean nearly as much as you think it does. It will help you somewhat to get into better grad schools. It will definitely help you get into better law and medical schools if that is your route.

And if it's your first job, and your major is finance or engineering, it might help you get your first job.

But after that, you are going to be judged on how well you 'play the game', meaning work hard, kiss arse, and interact with your co-workers. You will see what I mean when somebody who went to Jacksonville State gets promoted ahead of you because he either works harder than you, plays the game better or is flat out smarter.

And lastly, I have NEVER seen somebody that went to the University of Florida prancing around and boasting about his school like it was some kind of phenomenal feat to get in and graduate. I mean, yea, it's an OK school, but having a condescending attitude towards lesser schools because you went THERE. Wow...
You clearly have some issues that a very innocent comment brought up. I hope you get help for them.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
You clearly have some issues that a very innocent comment brought up. I hope you get help for them.
You clearly don't see your own condescending attitude towards colleges that are 'ranked' lower than yours.

Tier III?

Who the hell brings up Tiers when discussing undergraduate schools in the real world?

Answer: Nobody.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
You clearly don't see your own condescending attitude towards colleges that are 'ranked' than yours.

Tier III?

Who the hell brings up Tiers when discussing undergraduate schools in the real world?

Answer: Nobody.
Looking at your other posts it's kind of clear why you are responding this way. Your other post talks about being 36 and making 50k. The average salary for a man with a masters is 61k. Now that is the average person and that data includes people who went to any school. Ones who went to top schools like you did surely are making much more than 61k on average.

So again going back to the point of individual examples not being very useful. You mention how you are probably making less than Andy. Well of course, you are making as much as the average person with a bachelors. So using yourself as a representative of top schools or your Ivy buddy making 42k is useless. You both are outliers who earn much less than most of the people with similar degrees and education.

It's the same as using someone like Andy to as an example of a HS graduate. He is much more successful than the average HS graduate can hope to be.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 PM

29,803 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Looking at your other posts it's kind of clear why you are responding this way. Your other post talks about being 36 and making 50k. The average salary for a man with a masters is 61k. Now that is the average person and that data includes people who went to any school. Ones who went to top schools like you did surely are making much more than 61k on average.

So again going back to the point of individual examples not being very useful. You mention how you are probably making less than Andy. Well of course, you are making as much as the average person with a bachelors. So using yourself as a representative of top schools or your Ivy buddy making 42k is useless. You both are outliers who earn much less than most of the people with similar degrees and education.
I can make statistics that go against everything that really happens in real life. Just like the government can tell you unemployment is below 10% with a straight face When you graduated 10 years ago, the school you went to is absolutely meaningless to your potential employer. And the averages now and 4 years ago are two different things. We do not live in average times. There are plenty of Ivy league grads who cannot find jobs, or jobs to meet their educational backgrounds. Who cares about statistics, ouliers, and so forth. At the end of the day, if your the outlier who can't find a job, charts and statistics won't keep you fed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment