Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
That's reality. I was just being blunt and to the point. What do you call for-profit schools?

The person with a GED drags down the data on the HS diploma just like someone with a for-profit degree does to a bachelors degree.
You imply that everyone with a GED is a moron who couldn't finish high school. One of my good friends dropped out during her senior year to care for her mother who was dying of ovarian cancer. After her mother passed she got her GED, went to community college and then a well regarded private college.

She then went to medical school at an Ivy League and now does research at what is generally regarded as the best cancer institute in the country. She might save your life someday, even though you will look down your nose at her because she has a GED instead of a HS diploma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 06:15 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You imply that everyone with a GED is a moron who couldn't finish high school. One of my good friends dropped out during her senior year to care for her mother who was dying of ovarian cancer. After her mother passed she got her GED, went to community college and then a well regarded private college.

She then went to medical school at an Ivy League and now does research at what is generally regarded as the best cancer institute in the country. She might save your life someday, even though you will look down your nose at her because she has a GED instead of a HS diploma.
Your reading comprehension is rather poor. How many times in this thread must I say I'm talking about the "average" person who has a bachelors or HS diploma?

There are exceptions to the rule to everything. One would assume this would be obvious in a discussion like this...........

Old 08-08-2011, 06:17 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,467 times
Quote:

Cancer research is the biggest racket of any industry in the world. Utterly wasteful and inefficient. Plus the cure or "cures" for cancer already exist. And it sounds to me like she probably had plenty of help from the government. Most of these rags to riches stories of academic heroism never hold water under monetary scrutiny.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Your reading comprehension is rather poor. How many times in this thread must I say I'm talking about the "average" person who has a bachelors or HS diploma?

There are exceptions to the rule to everything. One would assume this would be obvious in a discussion like this...........
Actually my reading comprehension is fine, thank you. You are making an awful lot of statements with no fact to back them up.

By the way, I have a HS diploma but no college degree. I own a company, and make more than most likely you ever will. I worked hard to get where I am, and had to deal with "education snobs" like you over and over. That type of attitude just made me stronger. And I'm the one having the last laugh.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Cancer research is the biggest racket of any industry in the world. Utterly wasteful and inefficient. Plus the cure or "cures" for cancer already exist. And it sounds to me like she probably had plenty of help from the government. Most of these rags to riches stories of academic heroism never hold water under monetary scrutiny.
She paid her way through community college, did work study and got a small PRIVATE scholarship for undergrad, and financed med school through student loans.

And if the cure for cancer exists, how come people keep dying from it?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 AM

2,409 posts, read 3,042,467 times
Quote:
She paid her way through community college, did work study and got a small PRIVATE scholarship for undergrad, and financed med school through student loans.

And if the cure for cancer exists, how come people keep dying from it?

Are you REALLY that naive? You know what would happen if cancer was cured? My god lady........seriously! Unemployment would rocket to 50% and the US economy would collapse overnight. Think about it. That's like saying what if there was no such thing as war......America wouldn't even exist.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Actually my reading comprehension is fine, thank you. You are making an awful lot of statements with no fact to back them up.

By the way, I have a HS diploma but no college degree. I own a company, and make more than most likely you ever will. I worked hard to get where I am, and had to deal with "education snobs" like you over and over. That type of attitude just made me stronger. And I'm the one having the last laugh.
You really should read through these comments again and try and comprehend them. You clearly read every comment and automatically get insulted because you never went to college and have been looked down on by people(not I) your entire life.

Everyone on these boards has seen you talk about your job over and over so we all know you didn't go to college and are successful. For whatever reason you feel the need to tell everyone this often. Once again what you can't gather from my posts is that I"m talking about the "average" HS graduate. Outliers like yourself exist and that is great for you. Your personal example is useless when talking about college vs HS on a high level.

So lets try this again. Respond to this question and don't go off on some personal example rant.

You have to hire a group of 10 people. 10 have their GED and 10 have a HS diploma. If that is all you know which group are you hiring?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Are you REALLY that naive? You know what would happen if cancer was cured? My god lady........seriously! Unemployment would rocket to 50% and the US economy would collapse overnight. Think about it. That's like saying what if there was no such thing as war......America wouldn't even exist.
Uh huh.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
You really should read through these comments again and try and comprehend them. You clearly read every comment and automatically get insulted because you never went to college and have been looked down on by people(not I) your entire life.
I did go to college, I didn't finish a four year degree.

Quote:
Everyone on these boards has seen you talk about your job over and over so we all know you didn't go to college and are successful. For whatever reason you feel the need to tell everyone this often. Once again what you can't gather from my posts is that I"m talking about the "average" HS graduate. Outliers like yourself exist and that is great for you. Your personal example is useless when talking about college vs HS on a high level.
I work with HS grads/GED's and even a dropout or two who didn't go to college and make more than you do. They wear uniforms and punch a clock, but have critical skills that keep this country running. I have a lot of respect for them. I've worked alongside them, and it's hard work that requires intelligence and common sense--something that a college degree can't buy.

Quote:
So lets try this again. Respond to this question and don't go off on some personal example rant.

You have to hire a group of 10 people. 10 have their GED and 10 have a HS diploma. If that is all you know which group are you hiring?
It depends on what their experiences are, what skills they have, and how they present themselves. I don't judge people over what you perceive to be a lack of education.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I did go to college, I didn't finish a four year degree.

I work with HS grads/GED's and even a dropout or two who didn't go to college and make more than you do. They wear uniforms and punch a clock, but have critical skills that keep this country running. I have a lot of respect for them. I've worked alongside them, and it's hard work.

It depends on what their experiences are, what skills they have, and how they present themselves. I don't judge people over what you perceive to be a lack of education.
As expected you went off on a rant and an attempt to insult me instead of answering the question. It's obvious by your hedging though that you'd hire the 10 with a HS diploma in the given scenario. Thanks for proving my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment