Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Good salesman are among the best paid "workers". I use quotations because they more or less "work" for themselves. Having said that, not everyone is cut out of that kind of job. Those who do not do so well have no security of a wage. In this economy, I know a few salesman who made great money before, but are now on the verge of foreclosure because this economy just can't support them. In any profession, there are winners and losers, no getting around that, especially in a recession.

Take that $100 item. Now try to get me to buy it. Ain't gonna happen. I pay for rent, insurance, utilities, food, gas for my car and the rest of the basics. If your selling one of those, you can have my money. Anything else, I doubt I will be spending $100 on it. I'm far from broke, see how far you get with someone who IS broke. They can want it all they want, chances are they won't be able to finance your killer product line, or your 25% commission.
Your right, you may not buy it. Still millions of people do buy it and other items like it. They see value in it and have no problem purchasing it. The company I was referencing sells a system to lose weight and get in shape. Many people see the value in it and buy it. Still I doubt that someone that has no money would look into it. Then again and this may be why I mentioned the company, if you need more than minumum wage to live on then you need a job or business opportunity that pays more than minumum wage. First thing people need to do is decide their lifestyle that they are willing to live. If a minumum wage job gets you the lifestyle that you want then stick with it. If you are like me and want more out of life then you have to be willing to do something else.

The real deal is that their are plenty of people willing to shell out cash for what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 03:26 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Your right, you may not buy it. Still millions of people do buy it and other items like it. They see value in it and have no problem purchasing it. The company I was referencing sells a system to lose weight and get in shape. Many people see the value in it and buy it. Still I doubt that someone that has no money would look into it. Then again and this may be why I mentioned the company, if you need more than minumum wage to live on then you need a job or business opportunity that pays more than minumum wage. First thing people need to do is decide their lifestyle that they are willing to live. If a minumum wage job gets you the lifestyle that you want then stick with it. If you are like me and want more out of life then you have to be willing to do something else.

The real deal is that their are plenty of people willing to shell out cash for what they want.
Which while may be an option for you may not be for everyone else.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:37 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
I am basing my statements on knowing (very well for about ten years) three familes and their extended families, who are all on various types of assistance. Starving? Not hardly.

How many people do you know intimately who are on assistamnce, or work minimum wage?

I also volunteer every week with an organization that provides all sorts of help (housing, legal, food, etc) to families who have no other income and who have never worked or gone to school (or who would ever consider that as an option.) Most have PCS smartphones, many have cars, cable, TV, etc.

Also when I was a kid we were so poor we ate casseroles made out of chicken feed (us kids had to pick out the little rocks and shells so it would be OK for human consumption) and we had no running water, electricity or indoor plumbing for years. Us kids used axes to break up coke for fuel every day. Toilet paper was a luxury: we used newspaper. Meat and soft drinks and fast food and cookies or sweets were out of the question - those things are non-essential and cost money.

You can choose to believe that or not, but I assure you I know what living truly poor is like. You, however, clearly have no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Many times though that assistance is only for a certain amount of time not forever. The living poor have a decent standard of living really? This just tells me you do not know anything about the poor in America. Not all poor have these things and some of these things cars, food, heat, are neccesary. Not knowing if you are gonna be able to eat everyday and living in run down areas is not good living. Maybe you need to walk in some one elses shoes before you make inaccurate statements about them.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I am basing my statements on knowing (very well for about ten years) three familes and their extended families, who are all on various types of assistance. Starving? Not hardly.
I volunteered at a teen center here in NYC. It was in one of the various housing projects here, one of the more "bad" ones. We where supposed to help the kids paint a mural in their game room. Boy was I surprised when we painted the whole mural and the kids sat texting on their black berries the whole time. One even brought their ipod and ihome in for us to listen to.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Just wondering. I guess you can make it in Fla on $8 an hour, but im seeing that in LA for non-retail jobs also. What do they expect? How do you create loyalty? Thats just above poverty level...

Unless you live in a clump of woods, you can't live on $8 an hour in Florida.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:54 AM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
That 8 dollars translates to around $16,000 a year, and most of that will be yours after taxes. I personally could live on that in Chicago, but I wouldn't be doing much more than surviving. If I was paying what my parents have to pay for their health insurance, I would be in trouble as well. If it came down to it, I think I'd retire before turning 30 before I work for $8 an hour, no grown adult should be expected to "live" off that.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times
Quote:

How many people do you know intimately who are on assistamnce, or work minimum wage?

I also volunteer every week with an organization that provides all sorts of help (housing, legal, food, etc) to families who have no other income and who have never worked or gone to school (or who would ever consider that as an option.) Most have PCS smartphones, many have cars, cable, TV, etc.

Also when I was a kid we were so poor we ate casseroles made out of chicken feed (us kids had to pick out the little rocks and shells so it would be OK for human consumption) and we had no running water, electricity or indoor plumbing for years. Us kids used axes to break up coke for fuel every day. Toilet paper was a luxury: we used newspaper. Meat and soft drinks and fast food and cookies or sweets were out of the question - those things are non-essential and cost money.

You can choose to believe that or not, but I assure you I know what living truly poor is like. You, however, clearly have no clue.

That is still a small pool of people and not enough to make a general statement of all people in that situation. Does what you say happen sure. Is that happens most of the time proabably not.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:29 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,611 times
chiroptera, where are you from?

I know the poverty you speak of and yes, I haven't seen that in the US.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
It's also sad when grown adults are not qualified for anything more than teenager wages...

There's no argument that there's a legitimate demand for low-pay, low-skill labour (aka "teenager wages") but whose fault is it, really, when an adult human is barely even qualified for low-pay, low-skill work? And if that adult has a family or children keeping them in one spot, or is too broke or encumbered to move away for better-paying work, how is that the fault of the system or of others?
Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Pretty soon, we are going to legitimately need unions again in this country to protect wage earning citizens.
I guess it beats motivating people to improve their skills and knowledge so that they can be more marketable and, thus, earn more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
No one owes anyone a job.
Harsh...but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
the purpose of a job is to be able to provide housing and food.
No - the purpose of a job is to provide for an exchange of goods / services in which one party compensates another party for performance of a given task or function.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I guess it beats motivating people to improve their skills and knowledge so that they can be more marketable and, thus, earn more.
Oh please... As soon as there are enough people running around with the same skills, the wages will drop. When supply goes up, and the demand stays the same, the wages drop, simple economics. I have seen this play out in countless professions. And what happens when technology outpaces the workers? The skills that are relevant today may not be worth too much tomorrow.

And besides, people can get all the knowledge they want. It's great to see everyone getting that education... But if you cannot make your boss money with your fancy degree, your not going to make any more than me. No one is going to pay you more just because you have a degree or certifications unless they are relevant. I've worked with people who made less than half what I make, and they have many more years education. Meaningless in my bosses eye.

The job market is much more complex than it ever was, and your simple assumptions are as meaningless as a PhD in basket weaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment