Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Often times, I react in the same way. If I know a company has poor ethics/morals towards their employees I won't patronize them at all. I shopped at a Feed store in the Seattle area for many many years and had the best customer service from one woman I had ever received in my life.
She had worked there since they opened about 30 years prior. Well, they remodeled, brought in designer clothing, 'specialty' pet foods etc etc etc...yes, got a bit to big for their own britches. After expanding they decided new management was in order so this woman, naturally, applied for the position feeling that 30 years of payroll/scheduling/purchasing and running the store should certainly qualify her. Well, it didn't, and the companies excuse was 'you are not family'. I never shopped there again. Took the owner, who I knew from so many years of shopping there, aside and explained to her that my account was going to be closed and I would not patronize her establishment again. She really could have cared less. Not my loss. Karma...? well, maybe...fire brought the entire building down to ashes about 7 years later. OH...she does work in mysterious ways, doesn't she?
Koale

Loved your story Koale, score one for the little guy

I worked for a video store once (this was in the days before Netflix). We had a HORRIBLE regular customer that would come in and demand that she be treated like she was the only customer on the planet. It did not matter that you were busy with other customers, she would barge in on the interaction and other customers would glare at her because she was a clueless hag (she was so bad all of us clerks nicknamed her Toadwoman, and I admit her appearance corroberated the nic, believe me!).

Well one day I was working alone because Sundays were traditionally slow in this store and it happened to be lightly snowing as well and it seemed EVERYONE decided to go to this video store all at once. Well, I was doing the best I could, balancing everything and had quite a momentum going. Customers were being patient and friendly because they could see I was racing around trying to keep everyone happy.

In comes Toadwoman to try to exchange a movie she had rented but she didn't like for one reason or another and I couldn't get to her instantaneously and she just starts yelling how I'm incompetent and that she doesn't have ALL DAY. Customers were even staring at her, but as usual she was clueless. So the line goes down and I'm finally able to help her (this is between answering the non-stop ringing phone AND going outside to retrieve movies left in the drop box) and she continues to berate me. And keep in mind this is like a week before Giftmas so it was crazy anyway.

I dealt with her as quickly as I could and by then my relief had shown up and I was off. But she had ruined my day. I left in tears and cried for nearly 3 hours because of this wench.

So...... the next day I was off and went to the post office to mail a package and lo & behold guess who was in the post office ?

Yep. Toadwoman. We saw each other at the same time and I completely lit into her. I didn't swear. I just let her know that she had caused me to cry for 3 hours straight and how could she call herself a human being etc etc...so we're yelling at each other now. She's saying how SHE'S the customer and how dare I talk to her like that. I'm saying how I'M not an employee right now so I don't have to put up with her bullspit. Then she pulls the race card and says I'm only doing this because she's Mexican. I tell her "lady, I didn't know you were even HUMAN much less Mexican (she had very pale skin)".

Also, our boss a week earlier had told us at an employee meeting that our time was our own and we would never get in trouble for anything we did on OUR own time. So keep that in mind.

You can guess what happened, a few days later I was fired and the manager (who had said our time was our own) was too chicken to fire me herself, she made the very sweet assistant do her dirty work for her. I was destroyed because it ruined my kids Giftmas.

But I got my satisfaction a few months later when they went out of business.

Karma IS real. Too bad these spitty bosses don't get that.

Ok. sorry bout the long story. I'll end now as I can feel myself getting worked up about this all these years later. Wowsers.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 22,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
Not one that dumb.

I worked retail for years, before finishing school and getting a better job - in an office.

Now, after being a sahm for 11 years and re-entering the workforce, I am back to customer service jobs again, until I can find something better.

I have never misread a work schedule - this isn't rocket science. In my younger, less responsible days, I have overslept. I have called in 'sick' when really I was 'hungover'.

I was never so dumb that I misread a schedule. And frankly, knowing how retail works, there's a good chance they called him, multiple times, to ask him to come in - if he was a good worker, that is and he ignored the calls, pretending his phone was off or that he never got the message. Of course, if he was a known screw up, then they were probably just glad they finally had a legit reason to fire him, and not have to pay him unemployment.

Again, glad to see employers stand up to lazy and/or dumb workers.
Wow, you're the only one on here with a one track mind. We're all human, we all make mistakes. His phone didn't ring once, no one called him, he was NOT hung over, he doesn't even drink.

So you're saying beacuse of one missed schedule, he is a screw up? That's pretty f***ed up.

His manager is now under investigation for this entire situation. They didn't just terminate him for a minor mistake, they also paid him in cash (very shady), added more hours to his time card that he wasn't there, didn't take out for taxes, and all of the paperwork has magically disappeared.

This was a first offence, normally a real manager will handle a first offence with a warning or as they have here with FedEx, a Level 1 write up.

"I have never misread a work schedule - this isn't rocket science."

Wow, you're so smart.
There is obviously no way of getting through to people that don't have their head on straight.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:13 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm737 View Post
He mixed up his schedule with Tuesday and Wednesday. He was scheduled for 7-10 on Tuesday and 12:30-4:30 on Wednesday. He accidentally wrote down 7-10 for Wednesday as well. He showed up "on time" at 6:50 on Wednesday. Well the manager told him that she would have to talk to the team leader and sent him home, and told him not to come back until they call him. Well the team leader called him in today to terminate him.

It was an honest mistake, he had never ever had attendance problems, always on time, good employee. Why would they let him go for one little mistake?

Is that right?
If you are not in a UNION you are on your own.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:20 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,592,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Retail jobs are for underachievers, he should be happy! He should now focus on working on his education, relocating or getting some "relevant" skils so that, he can get a better job in the future.

I worked a lot of menial jobs while I was in college and I hated it, those jobs are for people that have low IQ, if you have any intelligence, you will start to question their policies and realize that you are being screwed royally, I am so happy for him!
and you have zero family or extended family who work in retail? gimme a break. i would love to hear you tell them to their faces that they, your own kin, are low IQ.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
and you have zero family or extended family who work in retail? gimme a break. i would love to hear you tell them to their faces that they, your own kin, are low IQ.
This made me think... I actually have NO extended family that works in retail.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:29 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I have never misread a work schedule - this isn't rocket science. In my younger, less responsible days, I have overslept. I have called in 'sick' when really I was 'hungover'.
The OP said that her brother misread a work schedule for 1 day.
You said you have overslept and have also called in sick because you were hung over.

It sounds like you were much more irresponsible than her brother.

In my "younger days" working in retail, I've done what the OP's brother did once before but my co-worker called me and I was just 30 minutes late... but I have never overslept for work and especially never had to call in sick because I was hung over.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,149 times
Ive worked in retail in my teen years and arent you usually called if you don't show up, especially you were the closing chashier etc...The ops brother isnt telling the whole story.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:40 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2 View Post
You said you have overslept and have also called in sick because you were hung over.

In my "younger days" working in retail, I've done what the OP's brother did once before but my co-worker called me and I was just 30 minutes late... but I have never overslept for work and especially never had to call in sick because I was hung over.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Quote:

Yes, I was irrresponsible.

But not nearly as dumb.

I am no longer irresponsible.

Stupid is forever.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM

57 posts, read 50,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc
Quote:

Isn't it ironic that an alcoholic who called in sick instead of controlling her liquor intake is calling someone else who made one mistake on his schedule, irresponsible? sskkc owes the OP an apology. When encouraged to return to the thread, instead she posted an inflammatory comments (I've already reported it as a TOS violation and suggest everyone else do the same) Calling people you don't know dumb, stupid , plus making up lies about the OP's brother's bosses calling him when the OP says the opposite is true must be a TOS violation.

Last edited by Ursofa_king; 07-18-2011 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment