Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 PM

102 posts, read 578,535 times

Advertisements

I applied at so many jobs here in Phoenix. I get maybe 1 to 2 interviews a week if i am lucky for a job that I know i am over qualified. I do try my best and act like i want it, however same ole same ole from the hiring person i have more people to interview will get back to you this week. I am sure i been forgotten with all the candidates they interview.

What to do for work? I quit my job of 5 years for a entry level position in the IT field, however didn’t work out because of some stipulations and money factor. Its been over a month now and I am still looking.

I had a interview with one of those pyramid selling schemes, where you sell fiber optic cable to customers door to door home sales Upgrading there system or finding leads. . This pyramid factor is where its a management program where you train employees under you then they train more and you keep moving up the ladder. Thats where the pyramid comes into place. I went through the whole circus act with the company and at the end I had to meet with the head guy that was running the circus show and he did a slam dunk with his hand congratualating me they want me to work for there company and i was one of the top people they interviewed and i would fit perfect.

I knew the whole time this sucks, and i am going to be there little gunniea pig running around the oven of phoenix to make them money, until i drop off and they find someone new to replace me. I know if i do this it might screw up other oppurtunitys and the amont of gas to get there everyday. I have no income coming in right now. Its tempting but no thanks.

I dont know what i should do for work? I laughed in my head when he did the whole yay your so great and so many good things. I am like they probably hire anyone for the office. Not saying i am a bad employee, but everything seemed so fake and like OMG LOL Also selling out in the heat, i dont think many people enjoy that and the fact going to peoples homes knocking on there door. People dont tend to like sitting there with there door wide open while there AC is leaving the house and they tend not to invite strangers in right away into there house. So best solution is not to answer, or go away. Maybe i am being negative, but i been through this before with other pyramid companys and it seems to be the same.

Is there anyone have any suggestions what i should do? Should i continue with that job and sees where it goes, or continue my search for another opportunity? There is some money that could be made, however i know in the end it won’t be worth it and Ill be like i knew i shouldn’t have done this.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 AM

819 posts, read 1,593,837 times
I thought PS were illegal. This is a Ponzi type deal, right? Only those at the top ever make any money, while you're out harrassing people to join.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,486,282 times
Run, run, run....

Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
Lets be clear - do you or the company make money by selling a product or enlisting (training) more people? From what you describe, they make money not from selling a product but by recruiting.

That's an unsustainable business model and this is fraudulent ethically if not legally (and the law will most likely be catching up with them sooner or later). Run, don't walk, away from it.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,367,468 times
I agree with Dd714. Unless a product is actually being sold then it is time to run away. There are legitimate companies out there that are in the direct selling industry.

Two things have to happen for the company to be a good place to make a living or more.

1 Products or services usually are being sold and that is where they make their money.

2 Those doing the selling can resell to the customers over and over again or their are plenty of new customers for the sales staff.

What that means is that you are selling to your friends and family and run out of people to sell to in the first month then you are in the wrong business. If you have something good to sell then people will want to buy it. If they buy it and like it they will continue to buy it or even suggest it to others that may be interested.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 AM

123 posts, read 245,797 times
You already answered your own question. If you know its a pyramid scheme, run from it. As for income, try those freelancing websites. I know they don't pay much, but you won't have to spend money on gas and run around in the sun.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:28 PM

102 posts, read 578,535 times
Its more like selling and upgrading cable service. The thing is you bring 4 people under you and then train them.. Then they get more people and traing them and so on. I dont think going around door to door is the way to do it. There is to much technology such as internet, and advertisements. You can make money right away selling services, however you make more when you have people working under you. I just think it will be short lived. nobody likes to work in the extreme heat throwing sales pitches around.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:18 AM

123 posts, read 245,797 times
That is the very definition of a pyramid scheme. Supposedly selling some product or service but the main aim is to bring in more "agents"/ customers. A real sales job will pay you a commission based on every sale that you make. And the product or serivce will be the only thing that you will be asked to market.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:22 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,928,000 times
for me to give you advice, i'll need your age, gender, and ethnicity.

i already know your location, and your prior field from your 1st post, which were two other things i would need to make an analysis of your situation.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark55us View Post
Its more like selling and upgrading cable service. The thing is you bring 4 people under you and then train them.. Then they get more people and traing them and so on. I dont think going around door to door is the way to do it. There is to much technology such as internet, and advertisements. You can make money right away selling services, however you make more when you have people working under you. I just think it will be short lived. nobody likes to work in the extreme heat throwing sales pitches around.
I see what you are saying. So who is selling anything then? If all you are doing is bringing 4 people in. What happens after you have your 4 people? Still better yet how is any money being made if nothing is being sold? You also stated that sales can be made from the internet and advertisements. Then why do they need you at all? What is your purpose there and the purpose for the 4 people that you will bring into the "business"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment