Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 10:37 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Solution = Protectionism

Bring back tariffs = bring back our manufacturing jobs
That is genius. Never mind the fact that that would mean we all have to pay more for goods, thereby creating inflation, stretching budgets, etc. Then, of course, everybody would raise tariffs on American made goods which would squash those companies that are heavily reliant on export markets.

In the long run free markets work, especially for countries with the ingenuity of the US. Memories are short, but this is not the first time that the sky is falling for the US. Last time around was the 70s/80s when our economy was dead and the Japanese we're going to own us. 20 years of prosperity later and we are still here. We have a period of necessary adjustment ahead of us, but we will be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 12:29 AM

348 posts, read 638,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
That is genius. Never mind the fact that that would mean we all have to pay more for goods, thereby creating inflation, stretching budgets, etc. Then, of course, everybody would raise tariffs on American made goods which would squash those companies that are heavily reliant on export markets.

In the long run free markets work, especially for countries with the ingenuity of the US. Memories are short, but this is not the first time that the sky is falling for the US. Last time around was the 70s/80s when our economy was dead and the Japanese we're going to own us. 20 years of prosperity later and we are still here. We have a period of necessary adjustment ahead of us, but we will be back.
There is no guarantee that free markets will always work. Not when you have a bunch of crooks pushing paper and manipulating data on their computer screens.
That "Free Market" position is just as obsolete and ideologically tainted as the Marxists' rants on Workers' power.

Where's the Free market? when you have the fastest growing economy in the world being run by Communists? And billionaire capitalists are all running to them begging for a piece of the action.

How are you gonna adjust this kind of military spending
Giuliani: Military Spending ‘Not A Major Part’ Of The Federal Budget, Makes Up Only
and the kind of debt that the country has.
Thirty years ago, the US was the ONLY superpower in this world.
Now, it's mortgaged out to Communist China, and China, India, along with Russia, EU, Brazil are all flexing their muscles, while Obama begs the Congress for just a little bit more mercy. It's just plain SAD.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM

143 posts, read 319,930 times
Almost 45 million people on food stamps in the U.S. today.

But.

My sister told me, in June 2011, Mercedes had the best month ever for the amount of cars sold in it's history for June. July is looking good too.

I know many people who are doing well in this economy and some that aren't.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,793,637 times
I call it BS If ones connect the dots you always complain about your fellow IT manager or contractor and yet you make 250k-300k+ For that kind of money you actually have to be pretty smart and pretty good... Besides haven't you read the news yet, IT is history, is now called "India Technology"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
I quit the employee gig in 2009, went to become an IT contractor and doubled my pay. this is my 3rd year making 250k-300k+ a year just by myself

Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I call it BS If ones connect the dots you always complain about your fellow IT manager or contractor and yet you make 250k-300k+ For that kind of money you actually have to be pretty smart and pretty good... Besides haven't you read the news yet, IT is history, is now called "India Technology"
I dont blame you. I didnt believe its possible at first, but its my only reason to move to houston (less competition). I've been trying to teach every lazy/lost american I've met about what I got myself into but everyone seems to think the corporate ladder is the only way. I couldnt change their minds. My wife still couldnt believe it to a degree, we just saw the money add up. You do the math, bill from $125-140 per hour + overtime. I'm still far from getting to the max earning potential, I see guys in my field making a lot more. head hunters add another $20-80/hr on that rate

I dont know what kind of connect-the-dots you played but it doesnt look like youre any good at it. IT folks is a different type of 'smart', perfect english/grammar/spelling is obviously is not important for us especially if you know you'd be dealing with brains from all over the world. we're trained to comprehend coded messages from a nigerian, isreali, chinese, russian etc resource.
but yeah, i'm not smart. not like the guys sitting in the next room who coded the highspeed trading software (5min test run made $150k wtf) or the other guy here who once coded instructions for the patriot missile (legend has it) and their higher salaries says it all, nevermind my sentences not making any sense lol i'm actually very low tech compared to these guys
If i complain about other IT folks, it has nothing to do with what each of us earn. its just what roles people do for a project. its not necessarily a bad thing many americans are lazy all talk type of resource, in fact thats the reason foreigner IT guys are here so we should be thankful. theyre also the reason the rates went this high for developers. it is frustrating tho, but I think the next gen of american should take advantage of this if they can.
The corporate world is changing, theyre slowly shedding old people, sickly people, parents and everyone with their hands out for *benefits* and law suits. Battle tested hardcore workers(some are) contracting is the way to go if youre willing to come in without your jihab. nah you can bring your issues, but you buy your own medical insurance

Last edited by TimBomb; 07-24-2011 at 09:39 PM..

Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 AM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Those sickly old people who are parents with their hands out for benefits are the way corporate America recruited. Now it is cheaper for them for you to get your own benefits. It will change again. Try not to be smug with your big salary. You better be saving 2/3 of it and hoping the market does not get manipulated into the toilet when you need your money.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Sorry guys, the OP starts a disjointed rage thread and gets a bunch of disjointed responses of "what is wrong with the world". What is wrong with the world are threads like this.

His or first error was stating "republicans in denial" Huh???....when you have one party in power in the executive office, with a bad economy, you have the other party complianing. Republicans are the ones complaining about the economy, screaming in fact! Next time, when a GOP is in the white house, the democrats will be the ones complaining. And so it goes. I seriously thought this was a thread written 4 years ago.

The other is playing the class warfare card. The problem isn't that there are too many rich people, the problem is that there are too many poor people. The solution isn't too make the rich people poor, but to make the poor people rich, or at least more prosporous. You don't do that by making rich people less rich - one does not result in the other. Logic should tell people that.

Now there are fundamental problems with the economy, yes. Some are fixable, some are not. It's a global economy now, and the US is required to compete globally. That's a fact of life and nothing can prevent that without negative consequences (tarrifs, etc). Other problems exist that can be fixable - too much government regulation, a burdened and unfair tax code, entitlements (both financially and as a social viewpoint), political favoritism, etc. The OP mentioned small businesses, tax code revisions and certain deregulation would make a significant postive impact on the small owner/operator. Make your votes count, outside of the political talking point rhetoric you hear on the news (and outside of what you read in internet forums for that matter).

But it also begins with you - don't blame the government or society for all your ills. You do that and you become part of the problem, not the solution. Educate, learn a trade in demand, and make the right decisions in life. Yes sometimes it seems everything works against you, and/or you have bad luck. Don't give up.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:22 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
I am doing fine as is everyone I know that is middle class and college educated. What we are seeing is the end of the employment market for lower class workers since the majority of what they did has been or is currently being outsourced to lower wage countries. We can either eliminate minimum wage to make workers competitive or create a welfare state to support them.
I have to say most people I know in my area that fit this profile are not struggling.

A few of my friends just got better jobs, I have in the past few months received a promotion and a generous annual increase on top of it, a few of my colleagues also received promotions-- all of my family members who are educated and skilled are employed-- even my aunt who was not college educated and is in her 50s just got a new job after being unemployed for 2 years (although she never looked really hard as her husband made a very solid income from retirement).

I know 1 person who is unemployed but went back to school and has been on multiple interviews-- she is not in a huge hurry as she has a severance package and whereas my company had closed down a part of the business in my area they are expanding in my area with newer jobs--so there is that.

Now my feelings or experience may differ if I were in certain areas of the country. I think in many areas like Detroit and other parts of Michigan the reality is very different.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:29 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulksmashpunyhumans View Post
i dont know anybody who is actually thriving. in fact anybody who is thriving or doing just fine is normally just someone who is breaking even. everybody across the board has taken a hit.
Thriving is a pretty open-ended definition but same as few others in this thread we're doing just fine, definitely much better than breaking even, and have taken no hit. Not trying to rub your nose in it but this notion that nobody is doing well is delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment