Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The problem with all this is that nowadays people can't really "decide" to work 40 hours/week. What happens is those who work 70-80 hours per week cause management to expect others to do the same. This is especially stressful for those who can't really do it due to other obligations (i.e. family, etc.), let alone those for who such a work schedule is bad for their health.

It would be one thing if people truly made more money working longer hours, but with "salaried employment", that's only true if management is nice enough to give bonuses to those who do. Also, even if mgmt. consistently gives bonuses in those situations, those who don't work those hours shouldn't feel like their job is in jeopardy (I'm not saying in that situation the lesser hour people should get the same bonuses, I'm saying they should be respected for their choice and not feel like they are bad employees).

The sad joke is the law was made for workweeks to generally be 40 hours/week (or a little more as needed) for a reason while I have no problem with people who choose to work a lot more, too often it's really forced.
It's not just salaried folks getting the screw job... Hourly wages have been going south, so it takes more overtime to earn the same amount of money in many professions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Wife and I work 35 in the office and another 5 at home. I used to work 55 hours a week when our income was lower but now we've found the perfect work/life/salary balance. Not really interested in making more if it means adding more hours.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Why feel sorry? Some of us choose to work jobs that require longer hours. Some do not. Its all good...people can choose whatever worklife balance suits them. A person can decide to do 40 hours per week and spend more time at home, and others can choose to work longer hours. Both situations have different advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, I don't mind the longer hours I put in...I make a comfortable living doing so and expect to be able to comfortably retire in my early 50's. But that's just me.
That is one way to look at it. I understand the logic of working a ton of hours if your income is on the lower end but not otherwise. What's the point of killing yourself for 30 years and sacrificing time with family and your health so at 55 you can retire.

I'd rather have a great work/life balance all through life and still work part time once I turn 55 or so. Of course depending on your income some can pull of both. A lot depends on how much money you waste.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:18 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,492 times
37.5 hours a week officially. Really, I probably work more like 36. I make really good money, too. I guess I'm lucky to some extent. Life is too short to work more than 40 hours a week if you can help it.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,121,439 times
I work at least 50 hours a week as a QA Manager, no more no less. During peak periods, I can work anywhere from 55-60. I love my job so I don't mind putting in the time; it's that sacrifice that has gotten me where I'm at professionally. And I still have time for friends/family. Next weekend, me and a few friends are having a night out Friday after work. Dinner & a movie, bowling

Old 07-24-2011, 02:05 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
That is one way to look at it. I understand the logic of working a ton of hours if your income is on the lower end but not otherwise. What's the point of killing yourself for 30 years and sacrificing time with family and your health so at 55 you can retire.

I'd rather have a great work/life balance all through life and still work part time once I turn 55 or so. Of course depending on your income some can pull of both. A lot depends on how much money you waste.
Your assuming that people don;'t like their job or have family. I have no family (single) and I work as much as I can because I really do like my job. I like to travel, visit other countries, see things others don;t get to see, work for a great company, and get paid a really darn good wages for doing it. I will be retired by the age of 49 with a almost tax free pension that is more than twice what most people make a year working full time. We have crew that do have family and I have never heard them complaining because of the wages and benefits. Its a give and take to balance if the job and wages is worth the seperation from family. And lets face it, many times the person wants to get the heck away from the whinny kids and nagging wife anyway so they work long and feel that extra time away is their vacation.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Your assuming that people don;'t like their job or have family. I have no family (single) and I work as much as I can because I really do like my job. I like to travel, visit other countries, see things others don;t get to see, work for a great company, and get paid a really darn good wages for doing it. I will be retired by the age of 49 with a almost tax free pension that is more than twice what most people make a year working full time. We have crew that do have family and I have never heard them complaining because of the wages and benefits. Its a give and take to balance if the job and wages is worth the seperation from family. And lets face it, many times the person wants to get the heck away from the whinny kids and nagging wife anyway so they work long and feel that extra time away is their vacation.
Not at all. My wife and I enjoy our jobs a lot. We just have a family and hobbies we enjoy. Many of the people I know get into a vicious cycle of making more and spending more while working many hours at a job they don't care for.

The logic I find foolish is working a ton of hours and not enjoying life until retirement.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
The logic I find foolish is working a ton of hours and not enjoying life until retirement.
The logic I find foolish is not working as much as possible (when your young enough to do it) because you want to enjoy life at that moment and when you do retire, your living cheap and enjoying nothing. I want to be one of those people who you pass on your way to another day in the grind of work who just retuned from their Tahiti vacation and you wonder "what do they do for a living to enoy life so much at such a young age?".

Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The logic I find foolish is not working as much as possible (when your young enough to do it) because you want to enjoy life at that moment and when you do retire, your living cheap and enjoying nothing. I want to be one of those people who you pass on your way to another day in the grind of work who just retuned from their Tahiti vacation and you wonder "what do they do for a living to enoy life so much at such a young age?".
Very possible to be able to do both once you reach a certain income.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Very possible to be able to do both once you reach a certain income.
No way because you forgot, you have to go to work. That person can decide at 10 am on a wednesday to do what they want at 10:01 am on that wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment