Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:23 AM

147 posts, read 213,648 times

Advertisements

If not, what's making you stay? (I know some obvious answers to this, $$ ) What do you not like about your job?

If yes, how did you get to this job? Was there any sacrifices? Was it something that you knew you wanted to do, or you knew after trial-and-error with other jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
No I hate my job, profession, company, and degree with a passion. I stay because I can't find anything better. The latest polls show that 85%+ of Americans hate their job, though few as much as me.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,210,139 times
I love what I do. It took me a year and a half of networking to actually be hired at this job. I applied and was promptly rejected. Over the next year and a half, I got to know people in a few companies, did work on the side and then applied again when a new position opened up (I worked as a waiter in the meantime). Thankfully, the effort paid off and I have been doing something I really enjoy for a few years now.

It was a very planned thing. I have known what I want to do since I was about 18 years old. I have been working hard to get closer and closer to my dream job. I am also going back to school at night right now to build the skills I need to further tailor my career to my ultimate dream.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Yes, I love my job

In fact, I spend a lot of my spare time at my workplace as well, since I work in aviation and my hobby is flying.

The only thing I really don't like about my job is that the people who work here love to play the blame game. Nobody EVER takes credit if they make a mistake, it's ALWAYS someone else's fault.

Other than that, it's pretty damn good.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:09 AM

977 posts, read 1,815,770 times
Nope. Only here b/c it's a good paying job/career, and the low hours and low stress. The work is pretty meaningless and there are some corporate douches I have to work with sometimes, too.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:18 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
I love my job. I always knew I wanted to be able to do research, analyze, come up with a future idea, work to get it developed, etc. I also always wanted to work internationally and go into leadership.

I stumbled upon my particular niche and then later grew into it and now it meets all of my desires.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,639,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, I love my job

In fact, I spend a lot of my spare time at my workplace as well, since I work in aviation and my hobby is flying.

The only thing I really don't like about my job is that the people who work here love to play the blame game. Nobody EVER takes credit if they make a mistake, it's ALWAYS someone else's fault.

Other than that, it's pretty damn good.
That attitude is fascinating to me. I have propelled higher and higher in my career for un-apologetically taking accountability for when I screw up. I also view no shame in saying, "You know, I don't know. Let me find that out." And then actually finding it out.

One thing that all of my reviews and 360s have said is that people respect that I take ownership and I am forthright. I don't get the whole blame game or fear of being honest.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
That attitude is fascinating to me. I have propelled higher and higher in my career for un-apologetically taking accountability for when I screw up. I also view no shame in saying, "You know, I don't know. Let me find that out." And then actually finding it out.

One thing that all of my reviews and 360s have said is that people respect that I take ownership and I am forthright. I don't get the whole blame game or fear of being honest.
I always take accountability for my mistakes, although sometimes I don't even know I made a mistake until 6 months later. We have an 'anonymous' program on our company site that's supposed to be used to report safety issues but we call them 'backstabbing reports' since that's basically all they're used for. Since meetings to discuss these 'safety' issues is only once a quarter or so, it can take MONTHS to be told you made a mistake. It's a little irritating being reprimanded for something that I don't even remember doing, especially if I find out later that it had nothing to do with me.

We use 360 reviews as well, and they're basically just bitching reports. Hardly anyone uses them constructively, although I've always received good marks. It's just a passive aggressive way to berate someone, which I know isn't what it's intended for.

My company says everything is 'anonymous' but everyone knows it's a joke. Especially considering the bossman has software installed on everyone's computer that takes screenshots every 2 minutes and stores it on our server. Everyone gives him good reviews because we all know he can find out who gave him a bad one.

Anonymous shmanonymous.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *lorie View Post
If not, what's making you stay? (I know some obvious answers to this, $$ ) What do you not like about your job?

If yes, how did you get to this job? Was there any sacrifices? Was it something that you knew you wanted to do, or you knew after trial-and-error with other jobs?
I love my job. I work for a major grocery chain in the pharmacy as float relief. I get to travel & I get paid for it.

I got this job by persistently applying over the years... When my references improved, I got a phone interview (got this position last October). The sacrifice was waiting & working in environments where I was uncomfortable. Mostly it was certain people in charge I hated... I guess they acted like they hated me so it became too hard to like working for them. Now I work with people who are usually very easy going & supportive so it's easy to love them back & to love getting to work with them.

It was not something I would have ever guessed I'd be doing, as of 30 years ago, when I was much younger, in my 20's. I've been in pharmacy since '96 & just happened into it, clerking.

If I had it to do over again, I'd be a teacher or librarian. Or at least a professional tutor - which I'm thinking I want to do in my retirement.

My current job has sporadic hours, so that's the down side. I am considering relocating to get a full time position (32 hours) in the same company. The relocation would be in a new town in the same state.

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 07-25-2011 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-25-2011, 11:41 AM

473 posts, read 761,159 times
No. I hate the stress and mental and emotional exhaustion. Teacher here.

I'm with the above poster in wishing I had become a librarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment