Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times

Advertisements

Wife and I have been watching WPT,WSOP and One-On-One Championship Poker for a number of years on tv. Actually was in Las Vegas during a WPT championship once. Lots of money up for grabs, but lots of poker players to "put out" to get to that big money! When a person is playing against people like Annie Duke, Scotty Nguyen, Phil Hellmuth, Daniel Negreanu and other pro poker players only one thing we can say "GOOD LUCK!"
I play poker online, but it's only fake money. I'd like to be good enough to put a credit card out there to play on, but..........I don't think so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant. I enjoy playing poker with family and friends for nickles and dimes, but never have done the online thing. Although you are correct, some people do quite well playing poker online, of course you usually only hear about the winners or people that do really well and obviously there's a ton more losers that you never hear about. I was watching the WSOP on ESPN recently and they were showing the amounts these "professionals" earned online and it was pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
It is funny you bring up Poker. I grew up with a guy that has made his living playing poker. I remember back in high school he already had his game going on. We played (for fun) back in high school but he was good at it. He did try and teach me the game but gambling was never my thing. Kind of lost track of him and then became friends on facebook a year or so ago. Turns out that since the mid 80's poker has been his life and he has done very well with it. It is not for everyone as you can guess because with winners that means that lots of others lose money.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant. I enjoy playing poker with family and friends for nickles and dimes, but never have done the online thing. Although you are correct, some people do quite well playing poker online, of course you usually only hear about the winners or people that do really well and obviously there's a ton more losers that you never hear about. I was watching the WSOP on ESPN recently and they were showing the amounts these "professionals" earned online and it was pretty amazing.
Oh it's almost enough to make you sick. I knew a college aged kid who's poker winnings were well into the 6-figure range. He paid cash for a house Las Vegas. He was good though. We'd get the guys together for a friendly game once or twice, and you could tell who the pro was.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:47 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,632,299 times
The key is family. My mother is luckily able to live with her parents and my uncles. She's very qualified and a go-getter but is having a hard time finding work. She's constantly putting in applications month after month with no luck, an interview here and there but nothing materializes or last long. I think what we need to face is that the whole fam or even half the fam may not have work for another few years, so we just need to deal with it and the younger croud needs to use their innate asset of their energy and take care of the family. Try not to feel bad. You're not washed up. Eat quality food and you should feel good. There are 48 y/os who have several medical issues and bad attitude and don't take care of their health, they may be washed up but it doesn't have to be you.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Here are some figures from a census report.

As of July 29, 2011, the United States has a total resident population of 311,853,000. They make up the following numbers of people.

0-14 years: 20.2% (male 31,639,127/female 30,305,704) The 0 - 14 year group would not be counted as employable (61,944,831 total people) 15–64 years: 67% (male 102,665,043/female 103,129,321) Many in the 15 - 64 age group are also not considered as employable even though some of them, the 15 - 18 age group may have jobs. (205,794,364 total people) 65 years and over: 12.8% (male 16,901,232/female 22,571,696) (2010 est.) Many of these are retired individuals and are not part of the employed figures. (39,472,928 total people)
Total available workers: 245,267,292 if everyone could work. Still that is not the numbers that are used to determine the labor force. The real numbers are for who could work and who are able to work.

In the US the numbers are 153,421,000 individuals in the labor force. Of those 139,334,000 are employed. That gives us the 9.2% unemployment numbers. To get to 50% unemployment rate you would need to have 139,334,000 others that are not working. That just is not the case. Remember that of the 311million + people that we have in the US 61million + are too young to work. That only gives us 250million + to work with and we know that 139million + are working now.
I said the unemployed were closer to 50 MILLION not 50%.

This is what I personally believe and there's nothing you can say or print to me from our government to convince me otherwise.

I also don't consider working an extremely low wage part-time job as being "employed" either. That's what the government does.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 AM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I also don't consider working an extremely low wage part-time job as being "employed" either.
What if that low wage earner is only worth a low wage?

Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,208 times
Quote:

This is what I personally believe and there's nothing you can say or print to me from our government to convince me otherwise.

I also don't consider working an extremely low wage part-time job as being "employed" either. That's what the government does.

I agree. Many economist think the real unemployment rate is closer to 16 percent and one "Alternative Rate" has it at 22%. Here is the link to Shawdowstats that includes underemployed workers.

Alternate Unemployment Charts

Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Sorry I was thinking you said 50%. Still lets look at your 50 million. If 50 million people were out of work. That is still a hefty number when you consider that the entire work force is only 153,421,000 people. With 50 million out of work that would be close to 1 in 3 people not working and we are still not even close to that number.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
I agree. Many economist think the real unemployment rate is closer to 16 percent and one "Alternative Rate" has it at 22%. Here is the link to Shawdowstats that includes underemployed workers.

Alternate Unemployment Charts
With the worse case scenario from the chart that brings it to about 22%. If you were to have 22% of the people unemployed you are sitting at 33,752,620 people unemployed. Still not 50 million.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:32 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,790 times
My heart goes out to all of you and all the others who are in the same boat. And all I see coming down the "pike" is even more lost jobs in the manufacturing sector. Incandescednt light bulbs no more so there goes those jobs as the others are being made in China (but why?); no more phone books, so there go those printing and ad selling jobs; a slow down of snail mail, so there goes those jobs; schools no longer buying paper textbooks so there goes those printing jobs and paper factories as well; and with so many stores having "self-service" checkout lanes, where are people actually going to work??? Can't companies/government see this and what technology added with "out-sourcing" is doing to this country???? Countries cannot just be service; they have to MAKE something to be sustainable. We are in a flippen mess, and we DO need to do something; but what??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment