Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,562 times

Advertisements

Apply to teach English in Japan. It is recommended but you do not need to know Japanese to work in Japan and I hear they are looking for more workers over there. You could also look at Teaching in China, South Korea, and Thailand as well. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Perhaps a limo driver for a livery company may pay a few dollars more than $10. You can drive executives to the airport.

I drive a taxi in Boston (a nice hybrid with a/c). Not prestigious, but I'm kind of past that and enjoy it.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
history is a solid major if you plan on going to grad school.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM

166 posts, read 443,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
yep- to the OP, have you not considered grad school?

I recently went to an open house at NYU's Center for Global Affairs and both the Center's director and one of the main professors had both majored in history as undergrads. They of course, had advanced degrees but they both said knowing history was absolutely vital to the Center's mission and thus included history courses as prerequisites in the program.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
Quote:
or law school.

i also heard its a semi common major for MBA's as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:34 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:
or law school.

i also heard its a semi common major for MBA's as well.
You couldn't pay me to go to law school. The idea of researching cases and what not sounds interesting, but you'd be dumb enough to go to law school, spend money, and wind up with a law degree, no job, and a massive amount of debt. I already read too many stories of people who went down that path.

[quote][yep- to the OP, have you not considered grad school?
I recently went to an open house at NYU's Center for Global Affairs and both the Center's director and one of the main professors had both majored in history as undergrads. They of course, had advanced degrees but they both said knowing history was absolutely vital to the Center's mission and thus included history courses as prerequisites in the program. /QUOTE]

I wouldn't go to grad school because I don't know what I would major in. I know it wouldn't be in history...........Plus I don't have any money, and plus the bachelor's degree was a waste for me. I'll just stick it out with the pharmacy tech thing since I'm certified, even though I don't want to do it.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:35 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Lots of warehouse jobs will get you that type of money [if not more].

Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Lots of warehouse jobs will get you that type of money [if not more].
Plenty of jobs that involve a little sweat equity exchange would pay considerably better than retail/fast food. Not to mention they typically offer full time hours, benefits and good potential for overtime. It makes me wonder why so many young people today look to the lowest paying sector by default. Perhaps hard work is looked down on these days

Old 07-31-2011, 12:57 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Plenty of jobs that involve a little sweat equity exchange would pay considerably better than retail/fast food. Not to mention they typically offer full time hours, benefits and good potential for overtime. It makes me wonder why so many young people today look to the lowest paying sector by default. Perhaps hard work is looked down on these days
I know in my area fast food is about all that is left. Factories have been leaving my hometown for decades or closing entirely. I have the same question as the OP. I too, would like to know how one makes $10-$12 an hour or more. At least I could barely pay my bills on that salary.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I know in my area fast food is about all that is left. Factories have been leaving my hometown for decades or closing entirely. I have the same question as the OP. I too, would like to know how one makes $10-$12 an hour or more. At least I could barely pay my bills on that salary.
The same thing happen to me in my hometown. After being laid off from my job that I had to drive an hour to get to anyways, I just gave up on it and moved. No sense in sinking with the ship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search