Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 01:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times

Advertisements

Most people that I know who are underpaid are underpaid because they continue to only strive for low-paying jobs. A pharmacy tech certification will not get you much more money. You are a college graduate! Hold your head high and aim high!

With your pharmacy tech certification, look into pharmaceutical research companies. Here is a list of those in Texas:
BioTech Career Center (Galderma and Alcon stick out to me)
Check their websites individually for openings or a sample list of job titles that you can search on indeed.com Go in as a data manager, clinical trial associate, clinical research associate, whatever sounds interesting. Do NOT go in as data entry or an admin ...unless you are unemployed and desperate because food and shelter is always priority 1... no shame in that! When they ask what salary you want, don't say you want $10/hr because that is exactly what you will get! Research salaries and know what is fair, or just say you're open to a reasonable offer.

Above all, start valuing yourself the way you want employers to value you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 PM

547 posts, read 939,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Most people that I know who are underpaid are underpaid because they continue to only strive for low-paying jobs. A pharmacy tech certification will not get you much more money. You are a college graduate! Hold your head high and aim high!

With your pharmacy tech certification, look into pharmaceutical research companies. Here is a list of those in Texas:
Check their websites individually for openings or a sample list of job titles that you can search on indeed.com Go in as a data manager, clinical trial associate, clinical research associate, whatever sounds interesting. Do NOT go in as data entry or an admin ...unless you are unemployed and desperate because food and shelter is always priority 1... no shame in that! When they ask what salary you want, don't say you want $10/hr because that is exactly what you will get! Research salaries and know what is fair, or just say you're open to a reasonable offer.

I understand what you're saying but it's just hard trying to find a better paying job that pays more than 10 dollars an hour or more. On top of that, a college degree guarantees nothing, only the fact that you hold one. I would love to start at a job that pays 30,000 dollars and move on up, gain more experience, and gain more skills but I just don't see too many places now a days hiring for anything.

But thanks anyway.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:53 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
When they ask what salary you want, don't say you want $10/hr because that is exactly what you will get! Research salaries and know what is fair, or just say you're open to a reasonable offer.
I would take that a step further and say don't be so willing to take their first offer. It's always a lowball, and if it's insulting enough, may not even be worth the time. If they are willing to negotiate, you should be able to land something considerably better than $10 an hour.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I understand what you're saying but it's just hard trying to find a better paying job that pays more than 10 dollars an hour or more. On top of that, a college degree guarantees nothing, only the fact that you hold one. I would love to start at a job that pays 30,000 dollars and move on up, gain more experience, and gain more skills but I just don't see too many places now a days hiring for anything.

But thanks anyway.
I know it's hard, but it's doable and I am proof. I was a pharmacy tech for years. I am now a 6-figure professional in the pharma industry. Like you, I've got a bachelor's. It took lots of little steps along the way.

Have you really looked inside yourself and asked if you WANT to do the whole career advancement thing? You are getting lots of great and varied suggestions (and mine specifically pointing to a company hiring in your area) and you seem to have a "no that won't work" attitude to every single one of them. I'm struggling to understand.

If you want to be a stay at home parent or you want to have an easy low stress job of filing and paper-pushing, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But this thread has just seemed ... odd. I'm not quite sure what you're looking for but I do sincerely hope you find it.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:

Some of you guys make finding a job as straight forward as going to the store and getting a gallon of milk.

First of all you will fill out the application and most likely never hear from them again. The response rate is between 10% to less than 1% for jobs.

Next you may get interviewed where again they may be interviewing 10 other people. As a result your chances of getting hired are probably less than 1%

Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM

And when you don't even try, your chance of getting hired is 0%.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 PM

331 posts, read 956,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Some of you guys make finding a job as straight forward as going to the store and getting a gallon of milk.

First of all you will fill out the application and most likely never hear from them again. The response rate is between 10% to less than 1% for jobs.

Next you may get interviewed where again they may be interviewing 10 other people. As a result your chances of getting hired are probably less than 1%
Exactly. I just had an interview today and I was politely informed that they are interviewing 88 candidates to fill 3 vacancies. Yes, eighty eight... no typo.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

This dude is looking for a job that pays $10 an hour; jobs that pay that type of money are easy to get.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:01 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
And when you don't even try, your chance of getting hired is 0%.
I'm just saying don't be delusional. Getting a job is not simple or straightforward. It has become one of the most difficult things in life. I found quantum mechanics less difficult and convoluted then a job search.

I have applied for probably hundreds of jobs had maybe 10 interviews and no offers in 2 years. I have so far a 0% response from nonlocal jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search