Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,234 times

Advertisements

With this person's screen name, I'm guessing they are a dudette. But, regardless my advice to OP would be don't look a gift horse in the mouth. You are in a good situation at present. I wouldn't advise doing anything rash. In fact, I'd suggest you talk to a career counselor or someone of the sort to really get an idea of what it is you are seeking in life. Crossroads can be uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean any action is good action. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Sorry to be blunt, but schools have screening tests for a reason. If you couldn't pass the test, there's a very good chance you would not have a successful academic career. Online programs especially require that you be able to learn independently--without the aid of tutors, and with much less supervision by instructors or advisors.

Your mother is right--every workplace has it's issues. Every job has dreary tasks that you won't want to do. Every job has coworkers you don't like. Every job looks less appealing that some other job. If you want to do something else, then go for it. But before you make that leap, you need to figure out exactly what it is that you want to do and research the possible roads that could lead to that, and then decide which one is best for you. "Hoping to god they'll work around my schedule" isn't a plan. That's a disaster waiting to happen. And it's definitely true that people with college degrees have trouble finding a job. A college degree is not a ticket to a guaranteed job.

On another note, I think you should talk to a financial advisor before you assume that you'll be able to retire in 27 years just on a prison guard's retirement plan. Even assuming a better-than-average rate of return, a better-than-average employer contribution, and a better-than-average contribution from yourself, you will still have less money to live on each year than you do now. And by then you'll have to pay for your own housing and have medical bills of your own to pay for.

Last edited by kodaka; 07-31-2011 at 08:48 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 PM

285 posts, read 868,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
I just want to vent and i want people perspective.
I am 27, dropped out of college because I completely suck at school. I dealt with a learning disability my whole life. I still live with my parents by saving for a house and helping them out with bills because they are old and are living on social security.
My brother talked me into being a correctional officer. It's a low facility non violent place. Sometimes i just hate it becuz i have to work in the heat and have to deal with inmates. Most of all i luv about this job is my time off and great benefits and I can retire here with in 27 years and don't ever have to work becuz I always put alot of money into my 401K and they match whatever I got. My mom told me I have it made and that I can go some place else and it will be the same stress. and that people my age that have college degrees can't find a job. ( I am a hermit and i like it like that, I only have 1 friend) I have known people who have graduated and they are in huge debt and living place to place. And they get jealous becuz I work 5 days and off five days and I can take alot of time off of vocation and sick and still get paid. *knock on wood* My new supervisors don't harass us they just help us out. In our job a supervisor cannot just walk in and just fire you for no reason only the Warden but only she/he cannot fire you for no reason.
I try so hard to look at the good side. And on my days off I enjoy my times with my family. But then again I look at people from high school where they are toally successful making the big money.

I have a plan by going back to walmart and and going to school at night hoping to God that they will work around my schedule if I am working full time

What would you do? Would suck this job up for 27 years or go back to school?

If you love what you do, there is no reason to change. An education could give you the flexibility to do it in more environments and make more money over the years. You will see if/when you go back to school that there are tons of career changers going back to school who are much older than you and people around your age who just never finished college for whatever reason. If you have a learning disability, you can get help. I work with adults who have learning disabilities, and once they know what kind of instruction they need they can be quite successful. Think about the character Theo from the Cosby Show. He was a terrible student until he found out he was dyslexic and got the help he needed. He got a degree in psychology and was very successful. That character was based on Cosby's real-life son and it reflects the experiences of a lot of people who learn differently.

As far as the job, you might be able to take some classes online or attend part-time. That way you can keep the job you enjoy. People will always covet what someone else has. Don't let that get you down. If you want to go back to school, you can do it. If you don't, just make sure you have a career path (not just a job, as these come and go) and you will be fine!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Sorry to be blunt, but schools have screening tests for a reason. If you couldn't pass the test, there's a very good chance you would not have a successful academic career. Online programs especially require that you be able to learn independently--without the aid of tutors, and with much less supervision by instructors or advisors.

Your mother is right--every workplace has it's issues. Every job has dreary tasks that you won't want to do. Every job has coworkers you don't like. Every job looks less appealing that some other job. If you want to do something else, then go for it. But before you make that leap, you need to figure out exactly what it is that you want to do and research the possible roads that could lead to that, and then decide which one is best for you. "Hoping to god they'll work around my schedule" isn't a plan. That's a disaster waiting to happen. And it's definitely true that people with college degrees have trouble finding a job. A college degree is not a ticket to a guaranteed job.

On another note, I think you should talk to a financial advisor before you assume that you'll be able to retire in 27 years just on a prison guard's retirement plan. Even assuming a better-than-average rate of return, a better-than-average employer contribution, and a better-than-average contribution from yourself, you will still have less money to live on each year than you do now. And by then you'll have to pay for your own housing and have medical bills of your own to pay for.

The screening tests don't measure her intelligence or her ability to be a good student. They are not designed with people who have learning disabilities in mind. However, if the OP has a documented learning disability, she is entitled to reasonable accommodations. She can contact the LDA to find out how to proceed. We live in a diverse society and there are laws to ensure that people who have special needs (physical, learning, etc) receive adequate services. Too many people who have learning disabilities are told by teachers and schools and naysayers that school is not for them because they didn't pass some test.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Don't quit your day job....just yet. I'd first address your learning disability, you didn't say if it's dyslexia or something else. If you can find a school/counslor/tutor to help you with it and give you tools to over come the disability it will help you when/if you decide to go back to school.

I was fortunate to be diagnosed with dyslexia when in college and I was given tools to help and now have no problems with it.

As another poster said, you need to decide WHAT you want to do for a career and make sure there will be a future with said career. If your not sure, take a class or two to get your feet wet before you commit, college is expensive and there are plenty of grads out there right now that'd give their eye teeth for your job.

What ever you decide good luck.
Well said!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM

398 posts, read 1,365,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
I just want to vent and i want people perspective.
I am 27, dropped out of college because I completely suck at school. I dealt with a learning disability my whole life. I still live with my parents by saving for a house and helping them out with bills because they are old and are living on social security.
My brother talked me into being a correctional officer. It's a low facility non violent place. Sometimes i just hate it becuz i have to work in the heat and have to deal with inmates. Most of all i luv about this job is my time off and great benefits and I can retire here with in 27 years and don't ever have to work becuz I always put alot of money into my 401K and they match whatever I got. My mom told me I have it made and that I can go some place else and it will be the same stress. and that people my age that have college degrees can't find a job. ( I am a hermit and i like it like that, I only have 1 friend) I have known people who have graduated and they are in huge debt and living place to place. And they get jealous becuz I work 5 days and off five days and I can take alot of time off of vocation and sick and still get paid. *knock on wood* My new supervisors don't harass us they just help us out. In our job a supervisor cannot just walk in and just fire you for no reason only the Warden but only she/he cannot fire you for no reason.
I try so hard to look at the good side. And on my days off I enjoy my times with my family. But then again I look at people from high school where they are toally successful making the big money.

I have a plan by going back to walmart and and going to school at night hoping to God that they will work around my schedule if I am working full time

What would you do? Would suck this job up for 27 years or go back to school?

If you have a learning disability, why would you want to go to school while needing to work at Walmart to earn money?
Do you think an entry level job at Walmart with no benefits, minimum wage and employee lawsuits will be a work environment you'd enjoy while attending school?

You also mention that you enjoy the "time-offs" your current job allows, so if your job doesn't occupy all your time, I'm sure that you can find a way to go back to school part-time without quitting your job. You can take classes in the daytime or night.

Point is that you can continue your education without quitting your current job so if you can't manage attending a few classes with all your current job perks, what makes you think you can handle the stress of working at Walmart while going to school again?

I'm sure there are many people working at Walmart while going to school right now who would trade jobs with you.

Last edited by raymond2; 08-01-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 03:22 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
She'll be 54 by the time she's eligible to collect on the pension. Many people begin collecting but continue to work for a decade or so. Nothing says you HAVE to retire once you collect. Of course, if she returns to college, she will loose four working years of her life and likely go into debt. She could very well graduate at 31 starting over financially. Both options must be strongly considered.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:53 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Are you county or state?

How long does it take to hit top pay in your pattern? Do you get night differential? How long have you been on the job? Are you part of a union?

I ask because my SO is a CO, halfway to retirement, making good money (he's at top pay, but also works OT whenever he can get it), and although it's not the most glamorous job, the benefits are better than most jobs in the private sector and the pension will be nice. He's 34 and will be able to retire around 47. There are only two things that could get him out of that job: A career-ending injury (heaven forbid) or a winning lottery ticket, and even then, the take-home after taxes on the lottery winnings would have to be $10 million. (Yes, I asked. No little $3 million would be enough. We're on Long Island. That won't go far.)

Really, if you're working nights, you're not dealing with inmates nearly as much as the day staff.

And WalMart? Really? You do know that they have one of the worst reputations in terms of how they treat their employees, right? No way will they work around your school schedule. They deliberately make their employees work erratic schedules to keep them from working a second job. Someone else had a thread about that a few months back.

And there is no way in Hades you will get five on, five off, and the amount of leave you get now, in a private-sector job with your experience, especially without a degree.

Think hard about this, Pink. The private sector is an unholy mess, and it's not going to get better any time soon. If you work nights, you can take classes either in the morning after work or in the late afternoon before work. That will give you far more options than working days.

Personally, I think you'd be absolutely foolish to leave a civil service job for something as unstable, low-paying, and exploitative as WalMart. I might even question your sanity. But hey, I'm not living your life.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasmallworld View Post
The screening tests don't measure her intelligence or her ability to be a good student. They are not designed with people who have learning disabilities in mind. However, if the OP has a documented learning disability, she is entitled to reasonable accommodations. She can contact the LDA to find out how to proceed. We live in a diverse society and there are laws to ensure that people who have special needs (physical, learning, etc) receive adequate services. Too many people who have learning disabilities are told by teachers and schools and naysayers that school is not for them because they didn't pass some test.
I quite clearly did NOT state that OP was unintelligent. I stated that the tests measure your ability to perform in a classroom format, specifically an online classroom format. Online formats do not have the same ability to assist with learning disabilities. Having someone you can email for help is not the same thing as having someone sit next to you in a room and have a conversation with. In an online format it is harder to get help, and harder for instructors and advisors to see that you need help.

I also did NOT say that she could not go to college. OP did not say she did poorly on an SAT or ACT, which predicts ability to perform in college in generaly, but rather a screening test, which is typically used by online schools to predict an applicant's ability to perform in their unique environment. OP might do perfectly fine at a local college but online is another story.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
She'll be 54 by the time she's eligible to collect on the pension. Many people begin collecting but continue to work for a decade or so. Nothing says you HAVE to retire once you collect. Of course, if she returns to college, she will loose four working years of her life and likely go into debt. She could very well graduate at 31 starting over financially. Both options must be strongly considered.

I know you don't have to retire as soon as you are eligible to collect your pension. But OP specifically stated that she could retire in 27 years, not that should was eligible to. I was simply pointing out that being legally able to, and being financially able to are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment