Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 08:53 AM

433 posts, read 1,370,125 times

Advertisements

This has happened to me twice since I started working at the dollar store as the cashier. Customers would make sign language instead of just opening their damn mouth and telling me exactly they want me to do. The first time was the worst. A customer came to pay up about $20 worth of stuff. At the end when I told him the price, he was missing about 1 or $2 and I let him know that. He then takes 2 items out and puts them near me and I ask him if that's all he wanted. He doesn't say anything, but I assume it meant yes. So I then take the money out of his pile to pay for the 2 items and after what happened, it seems like he had no clue that I was taking his money to pay for the only 2 items I thought he wanted. After giving him his change, he starts this stupid argument about how he now wanted to pay for the rest of the stuff in his pile...,,, and I explained to him it'll end up being the same price and you're missing about 1 or 2 bucks. He was like 'oh, but you took the money out for these 2 items'. It was all so confusing. He calls me stupid and another cashier and even the manager had to help me deal with him.

It wasn't until later when I thought about it at home that I realized he wanted me to get rid of the 2 items he pulled out, but couldn't he just have so? I don't think it was even my fault because even the manager was confused that he walked off angrily out of the store. Maybe I should have asked if he wanted to take out the 2 items instead because I found it weird how you have a whole bunch of you wanna buy, you have a majority of the total amount to pay, but you only wanna buy 2 items now?? Since I took the money out and paid for them, it's like he has no clue that I did that and he didn't even bother taking them with him when he stormed out.

Another thing that happened this week was this guy was talking on his cell when he came to for his pack of lightbulbs. He has 2 packs with him, but I guess while he was in line he only wanted to pay for 1. He simply moves 1 pack to the side a little and expects me to be a mind reader and thinks I know what that means. After telling him the price and giving him his change, he was then like 'oh, I only wanted 1 pack. That's why I moved this one.' So I had to call the manager to give him his money back. WTF?? He only moved the pack slightly away from the other pack. He couldn't just tell me or even let me know when he saw the price... Get off your damn phone and tell me what you want!!

Do you guys think these are both my fault, the customers, or both our faults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:05 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
This has happened to me twice since I started working at the dollar store as the cashier. Customers would make sign language instead of just opening their damn mouth and telling me exactly they want me to do. The first time was the worst. A customer came to pay up about $20 worth of stuff. At the end when I told him the price, he was missing about 1 or $2 and I let him know that. He then takes 2 items out and puts them near me and I ask him if that's all he wanted. He doesn't say anything, but I assume it meant yes. So I then take the money out of his pile to pay for the 2 items and after what happened, it seems like he had no clue that I was taking his money to pay for the only 2 items I thought he wanted. After giving him his change, he starts this stupid argument about how he now wanted to pay for the rest of the stuff in his pile...,,, and I explained to him it'll end up being the same price and you're missing about 1 or 2 bucks. He was like 'oh, but you took the money out for these 2 items'. It was all so confusing. He calls me stupid and another cashier and even the manager had to help me deal with him.

It wasn't until later when I thought about it at home that I realized he wanted me to get rid of the 2 items he pulled out, but couldn't he just have so? I don't think it was even my fault because even the manager was confused that he walked off angrily out of the store. Maybe I should have asked if he wanted to take out the 2 items instead because I found it weird how you have a whole bunch of you wanna buy, you have a majority of the total amount to pay, but you only wanna buy 2 items now?? Since I took the money out and paid for them, it's like he has no clue that I did that and he didn't even bother taking them with him when he stormed out.

Another thing that happened this week was this guy was talking on his cell when he came to for his pack of lightbulbs. He has 2 packs with him, but I guess while he was in line he only wanted to pay for 1. He simply moves 1 pack to the side a little and expects me to be a mind reader and thinks I know what that means. After telling him the price and giving him his change, he was then like 'oh, I only wanted 1 pack. That's why I moved this one.' So I had to call the manager to give him his money back. WTF?? He only moved the pack slightly away from the other pack. He couldn't just tell me or even let me know when he saw the price... Get off your damn phone and tell me what you want!!

Do you guys think these are both my fault, the customers, or both our faults?

I work retail and deal with all kinds of funny people. Some of them rather signal with their hands. I have had customer come up to me and just place their bag on the register in front of me while they are on their phone. I know that they want to return whatever is in the bag but instead of having the curtsey of pulling out the content inside the bag and let me know they want to return it, they keep chatting on their phone and just put the bag on the counter.
After working retail long enough you learn to read customers signals. As scary as it sounds, those little gestures becomes its own language most cashiers learns to read. what kills me is when a customer wants to return something and they let me complete the return and they ask me " where is my money "..
"I put them back on your card"
"no no no, I don't use that card anymore, I want cash, or I want it back on a gift card or....."

The lack of communication is not your fault!

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 08-08-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 10:07 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Sounds to me like you won't be at this job long

Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Could you ask the customer to confirm what it is that they want to before proceeding? I am not a very good mind reader either. I always have to ask.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:49 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
The OP needs to add the following to his work vocabulary: "How may I help you?"

Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,876,135 times
I hate dumb customers. They just **** me off.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
It's all a part of having your job...the customer is always right...no doubt after time you'll be able to decipher a customers actions better...nothing to sweat about.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Just stand there and look at them until they say something, unless you're rated on time/transaction, then say "how may I help you?"

I do telephone customer service, even worse, people call, and think their whole screen is in front of me without their saying a word. I start the game---thank you for calling---how may I help you? then, nothing, silence, then, well, can't you read/ Read what, gentle sir? Read WTH is in front of you? what is that? Hey, you are the return line, so I want to return it! Return what? goes back and forth, people are so stupid, I swear, they should make them take some sort of test first before getting a phone, something like a driver's license:

first, can they pass a hearing test? don't just make calls and scream hello, I can't hear you, speak up?

then, can they speak basic English? That's right, English. Look, sorry, at $10/hour, don't expect a multilingual clerk to answer the phone. don't babble at me in whatever mish mash and think I understand!

Know your own phone number and address, and how to spell your own name

All that should be standard to use a phone, don't you think?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM

97 posts, read 210,639 times
I hate seeing people talking on their cell phones at the check out counter. It drives me nuts and I'm just another customer, so I can imagine if you're the cashier! It's rude - not just because they have to guess what you want, but even if they're just saying Hello to you, you're not acknowledging them because you're talking to someone else.

I was at CVS a little while back and as it became my turn to go up with my stuff, I got a call on my cell phone. I quickly answered, asked them if I could call them back, and hung up, all within seconds. Then I apologized for to the cashier, and she said, "Don't worry about it, most people just stay on the phone the whole time."

I know the customer is always right, but you don't have to be jerks to the cashiers either!

Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
I hate seeing people talking on their cell phones at the check out counter. It drives me nuts and I'm just another customer, so I can imagine if you're the cashier! It's rude - not just because they have to guess what you want, but even if they're just saying Hello to you, you're not acknowledging them because you're talking to someone else.

I was at CVS a little while back and as it became my turn to go up with my stuff, I got a call on my cell phone. I quickly answered, asked them if I could call them back, and hung up, all within seconds. Then I apologized for to the cashier, and she said, "Don't worry about it, most people just stay on the phone the whole time."

I know the customer is always right, but you don't have to be jerks to the cashiers either!

The customer is defiantly not always right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment