Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 AM

49 posts, read 99,842 times

Advertisements

Recently I decided to change my career path to architecture. However, I'm married with a young daughter and can't afford to quit my full time job to pursue an architecture degree, which from what I've researched is not easy to get in the first place. Then I discovered that you can become a professional building/home designer without an architectural degree, but you are limited in what you can design, at least in Oklahoma. A college near me offers an Associate's degree in computer-aided design with a focus on architecture, so this is what I'm working on, because from what I've found there's no specific degree or training to get, although you do need training. I just have a couple of questions because all the information on PBD I can find online is very vague.

If you are a professional building designer, how did you get started? Do you have any advice for me? (I really need it.)
What else can I do with a degree in CAD/architecture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:44 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo_wifey View Post
Recently I decided to change my career path to architecture. However, I'm married with a young daughter and can't afford to quit my full time job to pursue an architecture degree, which from what I've researched is not easy to get in the first place. Then I discovered that you can become a professional building/home designer without an architectural degree, but you are limited in what you can design, at least in Oklahoma. A college near me offers an Associate's degree in computer-aided design with a focus on architecture, so this is what I'm working on, because from what I've found there's no specific degree or training to get, although you do need training. I just have a couple of questions because all the information on PBD I can find online is very vague.

If you are a professional building designer, how did you get started? Do you have any advice for me? (I really need it.)
Have you talked to someone who is actually in the industry? The construction industry is still struggling. Even in good times, unless you are one of the international architect star....regular professional architects (who do most of the grunt work) are poorly paid.
To qualify was a PA, in addition to having a Bachelor's degree from a qualified school, work experience hours, you have to pass a series of exams.

Alot of firms don't even do CAD/3-D modelling in house, they have freelancers/contractors doing it for cheap.

I had a lot of friends, and a brother who went into Architecture around 12 years ago...NONE of them are still in the field as an architect because it was frustrating and not at all rewarding. My brother moved to the other side of the table, and is a PMP (he is also a PA).

Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 PM

38 posts, read 135,745 times
I am an architect and I do not think that taking cad classes qualifies someone as a "professional building designer" I never heard of such a degree but I would think a professional building designer would be an architect. Is this a reputable school you are talking about? A bachelors of architecture is a 5 year program I know it sounds long but it is worth it. I spent 8 years in school at quality universities getting 3 degrees in architecture. Learning auto cad and 3d modeling is the EASIEST part of architecture school. Learning the software has nothing to do with architecture. It is like saying I know how to use a hammer so I should be able to build a house. I am sorry to be so negative it is just that I do not think that a degree in cad has much value. It doesn't make sense if you could design buildings with an associates degree why does everyone else spend so much time and money on their education. That degree is not going to be accredited anyway. the relationship between cad and architecture is the same as a pencil and a novel. Just because you know how to use one doesn't qualify you to produce the other.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Wait until they start building again. Has to happen someday, right?

Old 08-11-2011, 05:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo_wifey View Post

There's so many architects who are looking for jobs and have accredited degrees, that I think it would almost be impossible to get a rewarding design job with a lesser degree.

If you are just in it for the salary/career advancement, I'd say go for something else.

If you are in it because you think you might love being an architect, bite the bullet and go for the architecture degree. It is a degree I've always thought of because I love built environment, and I'm trained as a planner, but I can't draw worth squat...

Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you are in it because you think you might love being an architect, bite the bullet and go for the architecture degree. It is a degree I've always thought of because I love built environment, and I'm trained as a planner, but I can't draw worth squat...
You need to love being an architect, have very thick skin, and realize that you are not going to get to design what YOU want. You have to design what your client wants and within their budget.

Everyone I knew who went into it LOVE architecture, and wanted to build the next great building. Reality is VERY different. I remember my brother working LONG nights, building models, CAD drafting, 3-D modeling on his projects. Only to go to the "Crits" and to have designs ripped apart by professors and TA's. One friend was repeatedly made to cry during her crits (and she is NOT the crying kind).

Working in the as an architects, expect to work on things like hideous cookie cutter tacky condos, houses, because that is what the developers want. Skimp on material to fit the budget etc. Only a few international big international firms gets the big projects...designed by star architects. The "regular" architects do the grunt work to bring to reality.

All the while, with no job stability at all, since the construction industry is ALWAYS impacted when the economy starts tanking. Even during boom times, the pay sucked.

It's so sad to see so many people, who were truly passionate about architecture and design, get burned out by the industry so quickly.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:33 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Working in the as an architects, expect to work on things like hideous cookie cutter tacky condos, houses, because that is what the developers want. Skimp on material to fit the budget etc. Only a few international big international firms gets the big projects...designed by star architects. The "regular" architects do the grunt work to bring to reality.
Designing cookie cutter condos and houses sounds more fun and exciting than what I do for a living.

Of course, I'm older and I've lowered my standards of my 'dream job' to require only a stable income and a semi-interesting daily routine.

Even though architecture is down, I'd say it could still provide that...

Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Fontan View Post
I am an architect and I do not think that taking cad classes qualifies someone as a "professional building designer" I never heard of such a degree but I would think a professional building designer would be an architect. Is this a reputable school you are talking about? A bachelors of architecture is a 5 year program I know it sounds long but it is worth it. I spent 8 years in school at quality universities getting 3 degrees in architecture. Learning auto cad and 3d modeling is the EASIEST part of architecture school. Learning the software has nothing to do with architecture. It is like saying I know how to use a hammer so I should be able to build a house. I am sorry to be so negative it is just that I do not think that a degree in cad has much value. It doesn't make sense if you could design buildings with an associates degree why does everyone else spend so much time and money on their education. That degree is not going to be accredited anyway. the relationship between cad and architecture is the same as a pencil and a novel. Just because you know how to use one doesn't qualify you to produce the other.

Why don't you do your research, and check out the American Institute of Building Design? You can become a Certified Professional Building Designer after having 6 years of on-the-job experience and passing a national exam. I am not just taking CAD classes, it is a CAD/Architecture degree. I AM taking construction, architecture, design, and standard pencil and paper drafting classes.

Obviously asking on this forum was a bad idea. I'll take the first poster's advice and try to contact some actual CPBDs to see what they say.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Designing cookie cutter condos and houses sounds more fun and exciting than what I do for a living.
There is no design, it's customizing a a box (or some template house plan) to fit local building codes, location & developer's cost cutting with material.

Income is not stable either (frequent layoffs), and it pays poorly given the amount of education, and the cost of getting licensed.

I ran into one of my brother's classmate, who worked for one of the top firms in NYC. She was stocking shelves at a supermarket.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
You need to love being an architect, have very thick skin, and realize that you are not going to get to design what YOU want. You have to design what your client wants and within their budget.

Everyone I knew who went into it LOVE architecture, and wanted to build the next great building. Reality is VERY different. I remember my brother working LONG nights, building models, CAD drafting, 3-D modeling on his projects. Only to go to the "Crits" and to have designs ripped apart by professors and TA's. One friend was repeatedly made to cry during her crits (and she is NOT the crying kind).

All the while, with no job stability at all, since the construction industry is ALWAYS impacted when the economy starts tanking. Even during boom times, the pay sucked.

It's so sad to see so many people, who were truly passionate about architecture and design, get burned out by the industry so quickly.

In Oklahoma, Professional Building Designers can only design residential homes and small commercial buildings, no bigger than two stories tall. I really don't have an interest in designing the big stuff anyways, I first got interested in designing when my husband brought up a type of house he'd like to live in that I've never seen myself. I don't mind cookie cutter, I really just want something that I like to do that will help me earn more than the measly amount I make now doing a job I hate.

I've also checked out quite a few design firms (that yes, focus on "cookie cutter" homes) in Oklahoma and the designers are not PAs, they are CPBDs. This IS a real profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment