Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:53 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

Small commercial construction company looking for a young person to grow with the company. This person will be relied upon to get the answers right, not just throw together a set of books. Accounting is the dashboard of our company. Without accurate and timely feedback, we can't make good decisions. If you can't unravel a puzzle and put it in a format that can be used, you aren't the right person. We expect our employees to perform without being watched, so we shouldn't have to worry about walking past your computer and seeing facebook open. The construction industry is tough enough to have to worry about slackers. If you want to be challenged and excited to come to work everyday, we are the right place.

The position starts at $20 per hour with benefits.

Please submit a resume. Convince us why you are the right person for this job

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this on Craigslist this morning in Nashville, it seems to me that discriminating based soley on the basis of age is questionable.

Of course, the idiot posted it in the wrong area. I am also humored by the posters attitude in trying to attract employees with the "you slacker" attitude up front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:16 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Why not have some older people apply and see what happens, just for fun. I am 46 and would love to apply there. I have no plans on leaving my job but still it would be fun to push the age issue.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
If they're complaining about people doing Facebook at work, maybe they shouldn't be so eager to hire young people. They should use words like "entry level" but I guess employers these days think "entry level" means "two to three years of experience."

Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Define "young."

Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Small commercial construction company looking for a young person to grow with the company. This person will be relied upon to get the answers right, not just throw together a set of books. Accounting is the dashboard of our company. Without accurate and timely feedback, we can't make good decisions. If you can't unravel a puzzle and put it in a format that can be used, you aren't the right person. We expect our employees to perform without being watched, so we shouldn't have to worry about walking past your computer and seeing facebook open. The construction industry is tough enough to have to worry about slackers. If you want to be challenged and excited to come to work everyday, we are the right place.

The position starts at $20 per hour with benefits.

Please submit a resume. Convince us why you are the right person for this job

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this on Craigslist this morning in Nashville, it seems to me that discriminating based soley on the basis of age is questionable.

Of course, the idiot posted it in the wrong area. I am also humored by the posters attitude in trying to attract employees with the "you slacker" attitude up front.
What a poorly written ad. There is no job description and no mention of the experience required for the $20 an hour.

And it sounds like they already had a problem with a twenty something slacker spending time on Facebook and goofing off.

So by all means risk repeating the same behavior by limiting who you can hire, and yes it does sound illegal.

But that ad wasn't written by a Rhodes Scholar.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:47 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Who cares. Young people have a terribly uphill battle finding anything that pays reasonable in this country. At least older folks had a chance to actually SAVE money. My dad is 55 and doesn't care if he never works again. He saved a lot of his earnings, invested, and was unaffected by this recession, other than loosing his job. Young people never even had the chance, and who knows if we ever will.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:51 PM

521 posts, read 860,206 times
If we are dealing in strictly facts here then no it isn't illegal.

Huge difference between sounding illegal and actually discriminating.

Young is a relative term and that's what makes it alright. It was probably written by someone under 40 anyways.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:52 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Define "young."
Exactly. I believe it only becomes discriminatory if they actually say 'You are too old for this job.'

Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
If we are dealing in strictly facts here then no it isn't illegal.

Huge difference between sounding illegal and actually discriminating.

Young is a relative term and that's what makes it alright. It was probably written by someone under 40 anyways.
It was probably written by someone under 25.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Just based on the way the ad is written I wouldn't want to work there. It comes across as "you should be so lucky to work for us you poor fool. We will stomp your face in the mud as you deserve for being such a peasant."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment