Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times

Advertisements

Do you remember the last scene in "Office Space", where our protagonist Peter Gibbons describes how he loves working in contruction, getting exercise and breathing in the fresh air?

I feel like I am Peter Gibbons, but I'm not quite the burnt out mid-30s office rat he was. I'm only 25 and figuring this out early.

I have some anxiety issues that sort of sneak up on me from time to time and I find that physical activity is the best way for me to keep it contained. When I sit in an office for 8+ hours a day, I can get very antsy and anxious. I can't really explain why this happens, it just does. The jobs that helped me burn a lot of this excess energy or not focus on it that much were ironically jobs that are typically considered high stress.

My (very) brief stint in retail was excellent. The pay sucked and management treated everyone like children, but it gave me the opportunity to do what I do best: interact with people and help them out. The same goes for when I was a dishwasher way back in my mid to late teens. Though I didn't have as much of the personal interaction, I was still physically on the move constantly. Driving a bus was another cool job for me. It wasn't as physically demanding, but it still gave me a chance to interact with people.

I'd love to have a job that had me out in the field more, possibly interacting with people, possibly working outdoors. I'd love being something like a park ranger or a tour guide. I know most of these types of jobs don't pay that well, but I almost don't really care. If it would bring me happiness in terms of my work life, that'd be priceless to me.

Anybody else feel similar, perhaps not for the same reasons that I provided, but for your own unique reasons? IMO, office jobs kind of suck. Maybe it's my blue-collar blood. What do you guys think? Have you made any kind of drastic career change that took you out of the office and placed you in the field? Did you find it highly rewarding, if not for the pay, for other not so obvious reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:11 PM

125 posts, read 255,276 times
Hi Zenith... I understand you perfectly.

I'll be worked for big companys here in Argentina, like Microsoft, Siemens, Telefonica, etc but close in the office 8 or more hours a day, travelling all the fu@k week and just have 26 years old right now.

In my last job, in telefonica for personal cut, they fired me and from these moment I recover my life back.

With the money from the indemnization I start a little computer store in my town, I living for six block of my job, before I must make 70 km and two hours for the trip and, you know. I discovery something scary, all the time working in a office, I'll be living in automatic, I can't remembers nice things of these time, they are take out my life.

Right now, i'm living sooo happy, don't make a fortune o even a salary from my last job, but i'm happy.

I hope what you can make good things for you life because you found the problem... it's time to fix it!

Best regards
Nacho

Old 08-29-2011, 04:19 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Do you remember the last scene in "Office Space", where our protagonist Peter Gibbons describes how he loves working in contruction, getting exercise and breathing in the fresh air?

I feel like I am Peter Gibbons, but I'm not quite the burnt out mid-30s office rat he was. I'm only 25 and figuring this out early.

I have some anxiety issues that sort of sneak up on me from time to time and I find that physical activity is the best way for me to keep it contained. When I sit in an office for 8+ hours a day, I can get very antsy and anxious. I can't really explain why this happens, it just does. The jobs that helped me burn a lot of this excess energy or not focus on it that much were ironically jobs that are typically considered high stress.

My (very) brief stint in retail was excellent. The pay sucked and management treated everyone like children, but it gave me the opportunity to do what I do best: interact with people and help them out. The same goes for when I was a dishwasher way back in my mid to late teens. Though I didn't have as much of the personal interaction, I was still physically on the move constantly. Driving a bus was another cool job for me. It wasn't as physically demanding, but it still gave me a chance to interact with people.

I'd love to have a job that had me out in the field more, possibly interacting with people, possibly working outdoors. I'd love being something like a park ranger or a tour guide. I know most of these types of jobs don't pay that well, but I almost don't really care. If it would bring me happiness in terms of my work life, that'd be priceless to me.

Anybody else feel similar, perhaps not for the same reasons that I provided, but for your own unique reasons? IMO, office jobs kind of suck. Maybe it's my blue-collar blood. What do you guys think? Have you made any kind of drastic career change that took you out of the office and placed you in the field? Did you find it highly rewarding, if not for the pay, for other not so obvious reasons?
Agreed with how you feel.After a brief stint in an office, I got my start in retail, moved up to manager and beyond. Went into the Hotel biz years later. Sitting at a desk answering phones was never for this restless Aries guy. Like being on my feet, moving around and interacting face to face. I don't think human beings are meant to just sit for 8 hours under those artificial lights. it can be taxing.We as a species are geared toward sociability and motion. It is better for one physically and mentally. Blue collar work and being handy is a good feeling. fixing, or building something can bring a feeling of accomplishment.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:03 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
This is the reason I don't work in an office. I did at one point. Maintained storage units for a large medical practice, as well as maintenance and handyman work. I enjoyed working off site, but working in the office sucked. I don't like being in a work environment like an office, feels very cramped and limiting. People always seem a bit more on edge in the environments as well, as if some are going to snap any minute. And the routine... It gets old quick. There was nothing challenging about the work, only time consuming, and repetitive.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:

The grass often seems to be greener on the other side.

I've worked outside for most of my career (environmental field). I've often wished I had an office job so I could check my email, go to happy hour in a shirt and tie, and take public transit to work like a lot of my friends. I, mean, I am in office some of the time, but I need to be outside rain or shine a lot.

There are times when I do really enjoy being outside but I've been doing it for so long, it's so routine.

Look into environmental science and engineering if you are serious. You are seriously outside A LOT. And you rarely have to do tough physical work.

Park Ranger ...

What do park rangers actually do that keep them occupied for 40 hours a day, 7 days a week?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:08 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:

I'm in a very similar situation myself. I work for a financial magazine in my first proper professional job after graduating and spend all day in a very quiet office, everybody sits at their computer hardly saying a word from one hour to the next, and even when there's not much work to do, we still have to stay there killing time until 5pm, in my case largely staring out of the window thinking how it's against the laws of nature for somebody my age (I'm the same age as you) to spend all day sitting down inactive clicking on buttons all day long. So, rather than spend the next 40 years of my life in that sort of workplace I'm retraining as a landscape gardener in the evenings starting next month and thinking of going self-employed

One caveat though - office jobs are pretty boring, but one advantage of them is that when you're injured, as I am now with tendonitis in my shoulder, you can still usually do them. If I were a gardener now I'd have to take time off for a couple of weeks.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I work in an office with engineers. I like it. It is mentally stimulating nad I enjoy the work. Even in SoCal, I am glad I work inside.It must be horrible to work outside in places where it is cold in winter or hot in summer or both. I like having access to the internet at all times - this is a huge benefit in life.

I work out every day at lunch either basketball for almost two hours or swimming - both outdoors all year around. I get my fill of outside.

I bet if you took a very brisk walk outside twice a day for 15 minutes your problems would go away.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,972,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Park Ranger ...

What do park rangers actually do that keep them occupied for 40 hours a day, 7 days a week?
I have no idea haha. It just sounds like a very outdoorsy, laid back gig.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 AM

8 posts, read 18,092 times
It is the "grass is greener" syndrome. I have worked both office and construction jobs. I prefer being inside with air conditioning and a comfortable chair. It may get routine - but its better than slaving away at a hot construction site in 100+ degrees.

Not to mention....most physical type jobs wear your body down tremendously. Unless you become a project manager or foreman....you are going to be right in the middle of it. Those jobs are notorious for back, hip, knee injuries and chronic conditions. You are young....when you are in your 40s...you won't feel the same way.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:25 AM

8 posts, read 18,092 times
Quote:
I have no idea haha. It just sounds like a very outdoorsy, laid back gig.
They patrol trails, roads, and other areas of their assigned park. They enforce a variety of laws from littering to traffic violations......all usually many miles from any kind of backup.

There have been several killed in the past few years by poachers and also by stumbling across marijuana fields out in the forests.

It's a good gig....but I wouldn't call it laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment