Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:10 PM

4,243 posts, read 4,756,195 times

Advertisements

I'm 32 and looking to go back to school. I have a BA in Economics. Currently working in a hospital doing clinical research. I've been in clinical research for 6 years; prior to that was in marketing research for 4 years. I left marketing research b/c I wasn't very 'fulfilled'. Perhaps the most important thing to know about me is that I'm an INFP (that's my personality type)...if you know anything about this type, we are NOTORIOUS for not liking our jobs, having unrealistic expectations about how fulfilling a job should be, and are known for being 'job hoppers'.

Anyways, 'supposedly' we are happiest in jobs that are helping in some kinda way, but we yearn to be fullfilled in our job, that it aligns with our purpose in some sort of way(s).

Right now I need an income boost. I'd be happy in the high 60s with the potentials to max out in low 80s to low 90s. SO. Here are my career choices (speech language pathologist, market research analyst, social worker/therapist) and pros/cons to each:

1. Speech language pathologist:

Pros: Earning potential: Good salary. Pays more than social worker; probably about the same as market research analyst. Fulfillment: Should be fulfilling for an INFP since it's a helping profession. Flexibility: I can move with this profession because demand is high everywhere.

Cons: Cost: Schooling is for day programs, and I cannot forgo two years' income to go back to school full-time

2. Market research analyst:

Pros: Duration of schooling: I found a MMR program (masters in marketing research) that is pretty inexpensive so I could afford to do this program. It is only 1 year long. Transition: I worked in marketing research before, so this would be a good complement to my Econ degree and research background. Seems to be plenty of jobs available with good job outlook as well as earning potential. I also have a blog, so maybe the education could help me to market and earn extra money from the blog.

Cons: Fulfillment: I left marketing research because I wasn't fulfilled. Would hate to go back to it and hate it all over again, although there is the possibility I was unfulfilled because of the lack of training and my own immaturity/lack of confidence which may have played a part. Another con is I can't see a 'helping' angle in this profession, plus I'm not crazy about working with numbers all the time. I can do it and be good at it, but it's not something I would 'love'.

3. Social worker/therapist (LCSW):

Pros: (Plan would be to provide individual psychotherapy to adults with mental disorders.) Cost of schooling: I can go back to school for this now employer will pay for it, so no forgone income. Fulfillment: Would more than likely be fulfilling to an INFP like me (on career tests I've scored high on social worker/counseling).

Cons: Earning potential: I have had a very hard time deciphering the earning potential for an LCSW who plans to provide therapy in a private practice setting: that's my goal. I would either work for a private practice or the VA and perhaps open my own PP eventually. I need to be earning at least in the low-mid 60s.

I'm single with no kids. Right now my brain leans towards marketing research but my heart leads toward social work so I'm really torn. I don't have a husband or kids yet and want to put this time towards more education while I have the time to do so now.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 PM

460 posts, read 1,140,721 times
Free Career Test - Find a New Career with the MAPP Assessment Test | Assessment.com

Maybe you should try the above site, there is a free version. It was recommended to me by someone else on CD. After you take it plug in the job titles you are considering and you can get an idea how good of a fit that is for you.

My inclination is to think you'd be frustrated with the LCSW route based on what you've shared.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:41 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm 32 and looking to go back to school. I have a BA in Economics. Currently working in a hospital doing clinical research. I've been in clinical research for 6 years; prior to that was in marketing research for 4 years. I left marketing research b/c I wasn't very 'fulfilled'. Perhaps the most important thing to know about me is that I'm an INFP (that's my personality type)...if you know anything about this type, we are NOTORIOUS for not liking our jobs, having unrealistic expectations about how fulfilling a job should be, and are known for being 'job hoppers'.

Anyways, 'supposedly' we are happiest in jobs that are helping in some kinda way, but we yearn to be fullfilled in our job, that it aligns with our purpose in some sort of way(s).

Right now I need an income boost. I'd be happy in the high 60s with the potentials to max out in low 80s to low 90s. SO. Here are my career choices (speech language pathologist, market research analyst, social worker/therapist) and pros/cons to each:

1. Speech language pathologist:

Pros: Earning potential: Good salary. Pays more than social worker; probably about the same as market research analyst. Fulfillment: Should be fulfilling for an INFP since it's a helping profession. Flexibility: I can move with this profession because demand is high everywhere.

Cons: Cost: Schooling is for day programs, and I cannot forgo two years' income to go back to school full-time

2. Market research analyst:

Pros: Duration of schooling: I found a MMR program (masters in marketing research) that is pretty inexpensive so I could afford to do this program. It is only 1 year long. Transition: I worked in marketing research before, so this would be a good complement to my Econ degree and research background. Seems to be plenty of jobs available with good job outlook as well as earning potential. I also have a blog, so maybe the education could help me to market and earn extra money from the blog.

Cons: Fulfillment: I left marketing research because I wasn't fulfilled. Would hate to go back to it and hate it all over again, although there is the possibility I was unfulfilled because of the lack of training and my own immaturity/lack of confidence which may have played a part. Another con is I can't see a 'helping' angle in this profession, plus I'm not crazy about working with numbers all the time. I can do it and be good at it, but it's not something I would 'love'.

3. Social worker/therapist (LCSW):

Pros: (Plan would be to provide individual psychotherapy to adults with mental disorders.) Cost of schooling: I can go back to school for this now employer will pay for it, so no forgone income. Fulfillment: Would more than likely be fulfilling to an INFP like me (on career tests I've scored high on social worker/counseling).

Cons: Earning potential: I have had a very hard time deciphering the earning potential for an LCSW who plans to provide therapy in a private practice setting: that's my goal. I would either work for a private practice or the VA and perhaps open my own PP eventually. I need to be earning at least in the low-mid 60s.

I'm single with no kids. Right now my brain leans towards marketing research but my heart leads toward social work so I'm really torn. I don't have a husband or kids yet and want to put this time towards more education while I have the time to do so now.

Your thoughts?
Good to hear that you are switching it up.

I am currently considering a career switch too and have spent A LOT of time thinking about it (already applied to schools and been accepted, saving up $ for possible tuition, etc).

I think your income range is a bit aggressive considering the careers you are considering moving into. Consider that you will have to start at the BOTTOM for all of those careers except market analyst and that even as a senior-career social worker, you'll probably be lucky to break 50K.

PayScale - Salaries of Social Workers, Average Salaries

As a market analyst, you could probably come closer to ~60K because you have some experience. Further down the road, if you are good at playing the game, you could parlay that into your desired 80K-90K. But that is a big if, considering you left the game the first time...

PayScale - Marketing Analyst Salary, Average Salaries

To that end, I think speech pathologist is your best bet.

PayScale - Speech Pathologist Salary, Average Salaries

The market is good,

Speech Pathologist Jobs - Job Search Beta

and the chances you'll reach ~80K or so are realistic. However, you'd have to start at the bottom.

When I've compared the salaries of what my co-workers and I make, Salary.com is the most realistic site out there.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Good to hear that you are switching it up.

I am currently considering a career switch too and have spent A LOT of time thinking about it (already applied to schools and been accepted, saving up $ for possible tuition, etc).

I think your income range is a bit aggressive considering the careers you are considering moving into. Consider that you will have to start at the BOTTOM for all of those careers except market analyst and that even as a senior-career social worker, you'll probably be lucky to break 50K.

PayScale - Salaries of Social Workers, Average Salaries

As a market analyst, you could probably come closer to ~60K because you have some experience. Further down the road, if you are good at playing the game, you could parlay that into your desired 80K-90K. But that is a big if, considering you left the game the first time...

PayScale - Marketing Analyst Salary, Average Salaries

To that end, I think speech pathologist is your best bet.

PayScale - Speech Pathologist Salary, Average Salaries

The market is good,

Speech Pathologist Jobs - Job Search Beta

and the chances you'll reach ~80K or so are realistic. However, you'd have to start at the bottom.

When I've compared the salaries of what my co-workers and I make, Salary.com is the most realistic site out there.
Thank you for your input/recommendation and for the very helpful links. This is indeed a tough decision; I could go the SLP route but it's two years of full-time day schooling and since I still have student loans from undergrad, haven't figured out how to finance forgoing two years of salary + the cost of SLP school.....

Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,392,821 times
I don't think that you would like being a SLP or a Social Worker, you have to work with people constantly, and never really get a break from it, as an INFP...I don't think you would really want to deal with the drama you get working with kids in SPED at a school district, or with veterans at the VAMC. I would go more towards Market Research, or even look at Labor Economics.

There is alwasy contracting with the government, and that goes up to a GS-12.

Last edited by jasper12; 08-27-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-27-2011, 01:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
MSWs in private practice don't really exist. It's not a degree for independent practice w/no supervision. You would work in a group practice or a hospital or some kind of clinic. My DD is a MSW in a hospital and she will NEVER make $80K. Also MSW in considered lower than an MA in counseling, which is of course lower than a PH.D.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't think that you would like being a SLP or a Social Worker, you have to work with people constantly, and never really get a break from it, as an INFP...I don't think you would really want to deal with the drama you get working with kids in SPED at a school district, or with veterans at the VAMC. I would go more towards Market Research, or even look at Labor Economics.

There is alwasy contracting with the government, and that goes up to a GS-12.
As an INFP, I do like working with people...but moreso on an individual basis (one-on-one) than in large groups/teams.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:21 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
Wouldn't it be easier to just deal with the fact that you have unreasonable expectations and probably aren't going to be happy anywhere? What are you going to do 3-5 years from now with your new degree (after you spent all that time and money) and your new job and it wasn't what you thought it would be? Are you going to look for another more fulfilling job? Just asking questions--not trying to start an argument.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to just deal with the fact that you have unreasonable expectations and probably aren't going to be happy anywhere? What are you going to do 3-5 years from now with your new degree (after you spent all that time and money) and your new job and it wasn't what you thought it would be? Are you going to look for another more fulfilling job? Just asking questions--not trying to start an argument.
How are my expectations unreasonable? And what specifically are you suggesting I do to 'deal with these unreasonable expectations'?

I am also not trying to start an argument, but sometimes people who have unreasonable expectations don't realize they're being unreasonable, and it takes people pointing it out them to bring them 'back to reality'.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:42 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
How are my expectations unreasonable? And what specifically are you suggesting I do to 'deal with these unreasonable expectations'?

I am also not trying to start an argument, but sometimes people who have unreasonable expectations don't realize they're being unreasonable, and it takes people pointing it out them to bring them 'back to reality'.
I think your expectations are reasonable although your salary expectations in my opinion are just a bit optimistic.

But the world has made me a jaded realist. I'm thinking of going back to school for 2 years to switch to a career which MIGHT pay $10,000 a year more than my current career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment