Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,969,666 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious if that is a deal breaker for anyone,Say the economy is like it was say 6 or 7 years ago .. My husband has been at his job for 7 years (Law Enforcement) and they don't give you any holiday pay (no double time just straight pay) or any kind of holiday bonus. Their reasoning is pretty much crime doesn't take a holiday so why should we pay you for one. I find it pretty sad I mean he still has a family to support and a little extra during christmas wouldn't hurt (esp considering he's worked christmas eve, day and thanksgiving 6 years straight now)..

So whatcha think? Would you take it or does it not even matter to ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 06:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,033,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'm just curious if that is a deal breaker for anyone..Saying the economy is like it was say 6 or 7 years ago .. My husband has been at his job for 7 years (Law Enforcement) and they don't give you any holiday pay (no double time just straight pay) or any kind of holiday bonus. Their reasoning is pretty much crime doesn't take a holiday so why should we pay you for one. I find it pretty sad I mean he still has a family to support and a little extra during christmas wouldn't hurt (esp considering he's worked christmas eve, day and thanksgiving 6 years straight now)..

So whatcha think? Would you take it or does it not even matter to ya?
Holiday pay and bonuses have never factored in any decision to accept a job ... Whenever I received a bonus or extra holiday pay, I just considered it a blessing ...

Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
^^^^ It would never be a make-or-break part of the deal for me. I worked as a police officer for four years before I got on a dept that paid holiday pay. I worked many holidays at straight time. I imagine he knew there was no holiday pay when he took the job, correct?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:48 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,287,626 times
I agree, I just look at overall compensation. Companies that give holiday bonuses aren't really giving you more money, they're just paying you less on a weekly basis and "catching up" at the end of the year.

In other words, if a job pays $30K without any bonuses you gross $577 a week every week. A company that pays $30K and gives a holiday bonus might pay, say, $527 every week and give a $2600 bonus at Christmastime. The first option is better from a financial standpoint if you either put the extra $50 away in an interest-bearing account or use it to retire debt early, but someone who can't control their spending would probably be better off with the second scenario. It's just a matter of understanding what to expect before you accept the job.

I'm speaking strictly about automatic holiday bonuses here, performance-based bonuses and profit sharing programs are another matter entirely.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,915,728 times
I have indeed worked for companies that did not offer bonuses. And I've never worked for a company that gave an automatic holiday bonus. Those that have offered a bonus have done so on a performance basis. In fact I don't know any employer that gives an automatic holiday bonus. So I guess the answer to that is yes. When considering an offer, I consider the entire package. A job that offers no bonuses may still be more attractive than a job that has no health insurance, for example.

Bonuses are, generally speaking, a kind of profit sharing. They incentivize employees in the for-profit world to increase profits, by rewarding those who do so. Giving bonuses to law enforcement would not be effective because there are no profits to improve. Even if you were to argue that improving efficient use of funds would be bonus-worthy, that would still apply to an officer's actions, not to the mere showing up for work, or even volunteering for certain shifts, since all shifts have to be covered regardless of an officer's willingness to do so. Moreover, no matter how fair one tries to be, bonuses are inherently subjective. Subjectivity is a major problem when using taxpayer funds.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:10 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,937,877 times
For me, holiday pay and bonuses aren't a factor at all. I want to know what my employer is offering on an hourly basis, so I can do the math and figure out if it is acceptable. The little extras go into the savings anyways, but they are much appreciated at any job I work.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,924,846 times
If the pay was sufficiently greater than the job that did give holiday pay or bonus, sure would. Bonuses are often the first thing they take away during bad times anyway.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,038,382 times
Most companies don't pay those.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 PM

766 posts, read 1,396,159 times
Be grateful you HAVE a job!

Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,969,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
Be grateful you HAVE a job!
We're not complaining at all about it I'm just simply wondering if that is a deal breaker for some. Some of our friends wouldn't do his job because of this and I wasn't sure if that was a normal thing to consider or not. He has no plans on leaving the benefits are fine and it pays the bills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment