Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM

20 posts, read 391,640 times

Advertisements

I graduated with accounting and I want to enter the retain field. I heard many retail stores have manager trainee programs where they prefer college grads. They hire them and start them as a basic employee (but train them a bit more I believe) but then over a few months period or so offer them the assistant manager position if they do a good job and then manager eventually after that.

My brother had little retail experience and was hired by Walgreens as a manager trainee and they said after a few months of basic salary they would promote him to assistant manager.

Anyone have any experience with this or know anyone who does? How hard are these manager trainee positions to get. I know that many retail places like Walmart and Walgreens have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:52 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Sure, enter the world of retail management. Im sure you wiil looooooove it ..lol

Old 09-22-2011, 04:30 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Retail sucks IMHO. You couldn't pay me enough to work those butt kissing jobs, and they don't even pay anywhere near what other comparable sectors pay. Seriously, take a look at what has happened in average retail earnings in the last 30 years... Just how low will they go, nobody knows...

Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Retail sucks IMHO. You couldn't pay me enough to work those butt kissing jobs, and they don't even pay anywhere near what other comparable sectors pay. Seriously, take a look at what has happened in average retail earnings in the last 30 years... Just how low will they go, nobody knows...
True, but at least they can't be outsourced like many corporate jobs. Some retail jobs are much better than others.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
I used to work with a guy who graduated college and then went to Enterprise Rental as a manager trainee. I ran into him last year and he says that he likes his job and is doing okay.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
All of them suck.

While on paper the compensation and perks look good (for example, Aldi's manager trainee program pays an average of 50K with complete benefits), you're going to work hellish hours for that pay.

It's not uncommon for an Aldi manager trainee to work more than 17 hours a day, without overtime, because they're salaried.

That said, if you're willing to put in those type of hours regularly, then go for it. All you have to do is make it clear to the hiring manager that you don't have a life.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb9876 View Post
I graduated with accounting and I want to enter the retain field. I heard many retail stores have manager trainee programs where they prefer college grads. They hire them and start them as a basic employee (but train them a bit more I believe) but then over a few months period or so offer them the assistant manager position if they do a good job and then manager eventually after that.

My brother had little retail experience and was hired by Walgreens as a manager trainee and they said after a few months of basic salary they would promote him to assistant manager.

Anyone have any experience with this or know anyone who does? How hard are these manager trainee positions to get. I know that many retail places like Walmart and Walgreens have them.
I had a college friend who did a management trainee position through Sav-On Drugs (chain no longer exist) about 15 years ago and she was expected to work excessive hours beyond the 40 per week ... I remember her complaining that with all the hours that she worked per week, she'd be making minimum wages if her salary were converted to hourly. As a assistant manager, she was expected to know all areas and had to pitch in to work those areas whenever there is a need. Also, older employees resented having a young college grad overseeing their work. I don't know how it is for Walgreens but any management position in retail can be brutal especially having to resolve customer complaints and other issues.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
True, but at least they can't be outsourced like many corporate jobs. Some retail jobs are much better than others.
Ha! That's like watching your house burn down, but saying thank god you saved your baseball card collection...

Old 09-23-2011, 08:36 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,999 times
Target has one of those programs.

Some people like retail. I hated it.

I forbid myself to do retail, as it is harmful to my future. If I continued, I may have stabbed a customer.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 PM

550 posts, read 1,356,399 times
It's all about meeting sales goals in retail. Working with other career managers at the company probably isn't bad. It's working with the part-time and temps that makes retail management hard. Everyone at the store will not share the same vision.

I worked in retail while in school. I just needed the money. I couldn't care less what the manager was trying to accomplish since there was no incentive for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment