Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times

Advertisements

Ok, I seriously hated doing this app and whined about it the whole time I was working on the submission. Now that some time has gone by and I've thought about it, it makes great sense and I bet we are going to see more of this.

The job was great. High salary, good bennies, vacation, and even retirement. In Las Vegas, it's rare to find a full time job that pays a living wage. And it's in my field. I was psyched to do the app. But it was a process. It was all online and specified no resumes would be considered. First was all the normal who are you stuff. Next education and work experience. Last was a whole series of essays you had to write on previous work experiences. 8 of them to be exact. It took me more than a day to complete the application!

Why would a company do this? They want you to do the application without the help of a slick professional resume. They want to find out if you can communicate. Not if you can afford to pay someone to write a good resume full of today's popular buzzwords. They want to get a real sense of the work you did and learn about how you handle difficult situations.

Now I guess you could hire someone to do this for you, but it's much tougher to 'fluff' your way through an application like this. It would be pretty obvious if you weren't for real. In retrospect, this was probably the BEST application I have seen in years. It did a lot of sorting out all by itself. It would have been almost impossible to do the app without having done the job. Probably most of the 'shine 'em on' people couldn't even complete the application.

I did get an email from them saying I had made it into the pool of qualified applicants. For now, that's great and I'll hope for an actual interview. Who knows? At least its' a real job!

Last edited by yellowsnow; 09-22-2011 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:51 PM

18 posts, read 42,954 times
What was the job for?

Old 09-24-2011, 12:02 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Yea, I came across a few of those before. I don't bother. Complete waste of my time, and some sorry HR manager's time. If companies could focus a bit more on actually delivering decent products and services, and less on this kind of chronic time wasting garbage, perhaps American businesses could be a bit more competitive. Crap like this is indicative of why America is becoming a do-nothing country.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutInTheStreet View Post
What was the job for?
Network Engineer

Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Network Engineer
No wonder. One H1-B visa coming right up!

Old 09-24-2011, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I can't imagine having to wade through 100 of those. If our position requires writing or some other skills that we can easily test, we wait until the applicant comes in for the interview and have them do the performance piece then.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,167 times
Seems like an effective weeding out process. Many will eliminate themselves from the beginning. Others will be eliminated based on the essays.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
No wonder. One H1-B visa coming right up!
Actually I'm wondering if in this case it isn't the opposite. The OP mentioned 8 essays had to be written and being able to communicate was important.

Let's face it we see it on this board from time to time with people who are foreign and you can tell by their posts that English is their second language.

Maybe this company is realizing the importance of having employees who can communicate and speak English.

That having a dept of all H1-B visa holders while cheaper is impacting their business in a negative way when it comes to communication issues.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:56 PM

856 posts, read 2,014,357 times
I've encountered this...non-visa positions/companies...basically its the Taleo and other services but the employer can add a few questions. I've always disliked the Taleo and other service apps...they would only be useful if we could fill out generic Taleo Apps then simply link in to the company section.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:08 PM

I keep wondering if I will hear anything else. I think it would be hard to hire a H1b for this job because it's at a secure location. But who knows? Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search