Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 AM

16 posts, read 104,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafHoney View Post
And yes, I appreciate when you're early. By 5 minutes or so. By 30 minutes? I'd almost rather you be late because you were lost. I'm running on a schedule for interviews and also scheduling my team for breaks, so you coming in that early throws the whole thing off, and I don't feel bad when I tell you sorry, but you're going to have to wait that 30 minutes until I can actually do your interview. At the scheduled time.
I didn't read the entire thread so pls excuse me if this was brought up already.

I see your point and it's understandable that arriving 30 minutes early may actually work against me... but I would rather be 1 hour early than 1 second late. That's just me though... And when I'm 30 minutes early (or even an hour) I don't expect the interviewer to change his schedule and start the interview early just for me. In fact, I usually wait outside the office/building so the receptionist doesn't know I'm there yet. But sometimes it's just too hot outside so I have no choice but to go in and let you guys know I've come early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
They can be covered. I do plan to get more, also in areas that can be covered. It's super easy to throw on a sweater or slacks or opaque tights.

But I just love the ignorant thought that tattoos = someone who doesn't know how to be professional.
Usually a person with a lot of tattoos is considered ghetto. I never met a professional person who had a lot of tattoos

Old 10-02-2011, 10:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Interesting, because I also have several tats, and yet maintain employment. As a matter of fact, in my profession, it actually makes me "hip", and people relate to me quicker. It is a common ground, we can discuss tats, then after having an excellent rapport, move onto whatever is the reason for our appointment. It is an "ice breaker" for me. Kids love teachers with tats. Parents too, I don't seem so scary. Just my perspective.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Usually a person with a lot of tattoos is considered ghetto. I never met a professional person who had a lot of tattoos
I'm telling you, you would never know by looking at me while at work that I have them on my arms and legs. It's just such a silly worldbiew I can't wrap my head around it.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I think one should examine how this recession affected the different sectors and earning brackets. Middle class jobs have been slaughtered, while lower wage jobs seem to be growing. Your fighting to find a worker for a low paying job. It may be that the typical workers who work these types of jobs are not having any problems finding work right now. It may be tougher to find a worker for this job as a result.

As for the workers who had nice middle class jobs... I don't blame them for not wanting to work in retail. If I lost my job, I would not bother applying either. I can make more on unemployment and day trading stocks than I can working for you, so why would I? I don't HAVE to work, and there's nothing saying I have to apply for your job, so I wouldn't. Don't like it? Offer a wage that would allow me to earn more than what I could sitting on my butt. That's simple economics. Whining about it won't fill a position.

I believe this not not always true.

I sold my restaurant two years ago and closed down my construction company because I was having a hard time finding quality labor.

First job I applied for I was hired. That was as an project manager but the pay was crappy. It was only $600 a week but it was still a job. Plus a way for me to get back into commercial construction after being out of that line of work for over 30 years. And I also figured that it was good I got hired because I was 50 years old.

That job ended after six months and I applied for a superintendent position and was hired making $1000 a week. Good money but still not what I was used to making being in business for myself.

After working for this guy for three weeks I found some things that I didn't like about the owner. He was working his labor 60 to 70 hours a week and wasn't paying them overtime. I received a call from the local DA about this and quit right then.

I applied with his competition and was hired as a superintendent making well over 100K a year. I've been with this company almost a year and a half and am very happy with it.

Will I stay with them forever. I doubt it as I really love working for myself so I will most likely open another restaurant in the next year or so. But my point is that the crappy paying job lead to a better paying job which lead to a great paying job.

busta

Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
I'm telling you, you would never know by looking at me while at work that I have them on my arms and legs. It's just such a silly worldbiew I can't wrap my head around it.
I guess it never gets hot in Ohio? That your arms and legs would be bare?

Sorry, I have yet to see anyone in a high paying white collar job who has tattoos where you can see them.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:29 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
What is "high paying"? I make $80,000 a year. Is that high? Medium?

Old 10-02-2011, 11:55 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I guess it never gets hot in Ohio? That your arms and legs would be bare?

Sorry, I have yet to see anyone in a high paying white collar job who has tattoos where you can see them.
You've never heard of climate control? I wear sweaters a lot. There's something known as black/grey/brown tights. Big freaking deal.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
telling a company you are interested because it's close to your kids school is wacky
It only sounds 'wacky' to someone who either 1) doesn't have kids or 2) isn't involved with their children's school.

I do a lot of volunteer work at my children's school and working full time now, I haven't cut that back - being close to their school means that when I teach art for an hour, I only need to take an extra half hour (to get there and back) for lunch, which means I only need to extend my workday by that much. When I have a meeting for the carnival mid-day, need to make copies and bring them to the teachers, have lunch with my kids on special days, organize the parties, drop stuff off for teacher appreciation, etc; it's very convenient. When interviewing for my current job, my employer's wife did the second interview (she owns an employment agency) and expressed their admiration that I am so dedicated to my family, and wasn't willing to back out of the commitments I have made to volunteering on their behalf.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:25 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
Quote:
You've never heard of climate control? I wear sweaters a lot. There's something known as black/grey/brown tights. Big freaking deal.
Sometimes I see homeless people wearing sweaters and dark colored tights in the Summer, not gainfully employed people. It looks like one poor choice has to be covered up, by another poor choice. Most people in their right mind don't wear opaque tights in the Summer. Even nuns show a little leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment