Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Visualize, fantasize and thoroughly enjoy the reactions the creative letter would bring. Then turn in the one that says you appreciate the opportunities the company has afforded you and that you have accepted an offer for a position that is more in line with your career objectives.

Burning bridges is never beneficial, IMO.
This is the professional way. You never know~~the boss that you hate may end up being your boss at your new place some time in the future. As they say, it's a small world. So the moral of the story is to never burn your bridges. You have learned something at your current place of employment, even if it is just that you did not like that work environment. Good luck on your new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 05:23 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
I wouldn't WRITE anything but "I quit as of...". But if asked why, I'd tell the tubolard exactly what I thought of him.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:33 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
I'm thinking about discussing my boss's occasional body odor problems, as well as his obesity. There are four fatties in the office where I work and I'm thinking about comparing his size to the other ones (a-hole boss is the largest). Then maybe I will talk about how he needs to get on a treadmill and stop cramming twinkies down his throat.
It's not humiliating to your boss, it's humiliating to you. And there could be some negative consequences for you if you do this. They could terminate you immediately rather than accepting your notice, and mark your file as 'ineligible for rehire'. That you were fired for cause would be reported to any employer in any of your future job searches.

Or they could show your new employer your true colors. Even if you don't tell them who you are going to work for, they can find out. It's not that hard. The business community is remarkably small and even rival employers often talk to each other. Your new employer could very well withdraw your job offer on the basis of such writings.

There's no advantage for you telling your boss what a douchebag you are. That doesn't mean you have to lie either. Just write a simple note: "I hereby tender my resignation effective X/X/XX. Thank you."

Old 10-01-2011, 10:52 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I just received a job offer from a different company, and to be honest I'm just leaving an a-hole boss. Anyway, I have only worked there for 6 months and I don't really care about the reference that much. I have better ones from the place I worked before.

So, I'm thinking about being creative with my resignation letter and forwarding it to the rest of my co-workers (who hate working there too, we have had discussions about my evil boss when he is out sick or on vacation). I'm thinking about discussing my boss's occasional body odor problems, as well as his obesity. There are four fatties in the office where I work and I'm thinking about comparing his size to the other ones (a-hole boss is the largest). Then maybe I will talk about how he needs to get on a treadmill and stop cramming twinkies down his throat.

Or.... should I do the "professional" thing and say how much I loved working there, yada yada.. all lies of course. I don't know. I just like the idea of publicly humiliating my boss.
Whatever you say in your resignation letter - KEEP IT POSITIVE! I would not be so quit to burn bridges as you never know if you will need a reference from this place of employment. The satisfaction you get from writing a nasty letter about your boss will be short-lived and you will wind up regretting putting negative stuff in writing as it will bite you in the butt.

Old 10-01-2011, 04:35 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Other than emotional catharsis there is little to be gained by burning this bridge and much to loose. You are leaving, they will have to spend time and money to replace you. That should be sufficient revenge.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
I work for a real donkey too. He's been on a rampage for a couple weeks, it's a long story. He has threatened to fire me again and again... but the thing is, I'm not only good, but the vendors and clients love me.

It's a real hostile work environment at this point. I am always thinking "Today is going to be my last day" - I'm stressed from it all, but I can't quit just yet (not doing that without another job in the pocket). One of our vendors 'caught me' just as my boss had an episode. It's a long term vendor - known the boss for years - boss didn't realize I was on the phone, waiting for this guy to look something up and started in on me. His tone changed when he realized it. He's talking to a friend of his this weekend that told him he was about to post a job, and see if the guy will interview me before posting it. PRAYING!

That said, I fantasize about quitting in a grand fashion. My best idea is to just write a sign that says "I quit", tape it to my chair and leave it facing my computer. As no one else (especially on a Monday) gets into work on time - I get in 8:20am, everyone else between 9:05 and 9:30am (boss telecommutes in the morning, rants about the others not answering their phones, skypes, etc - called me a 'tattletale' when he asked me where they were and I explained they weren't in yet - I'm 39 - way past 'tattletale' name calling) it would be funny. My mornings are hectic, to say the least - he usually starts texting, emailing and skyping me before 7am - I used to answer, sometimes do work from home, before last week.

Though I've decided not to give notice, I'm not going to quit like that. I'm going to email him. Politely. I'll clean out my desk/office the night before after everyone else has left for the day- which is usually about 30-45 minutes early, and leave my keys with the building manager.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:23 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I work for a real donkey too. He's been on a rampage for a couple weeks, it's a long story. He has threatened to fire me again and again... but the thing is, I'm not only good, but the vendors and clients love me.

It's a real hostile work environment at this point. I am always thinking "Today is going to be my last day" - I'm stressed from it all, but I can't quit just yet (not doing that without another job in the pocket). One of our vendors 'caught me' just as my boss had an episode. It's a long term vendor - known the boss for years - boss didn't realize I was on the phone, waiting for this guy to look something up and started in on me. His tone changed when he realized it. He's talking to a friend of his this weekend that told him he was about to post a job, and see if the guy will interview me before posting it. PRAYING!

That said, I fantasize about quitting in a grand fashion. My best idea is to just write a sign that says "I quit", tape it to my chair and leave it facing my computer. As no one else (especially on a Monday) gets into work on time - I get in 8:20am, everyone else between 9:05 and 9:30am (boss telecommutes in the morning, rants about the others not answering their phones, skypes, etc - called me a 'tattletale' when he asked me where they were and I explained they weren't in yet - I'm 39 - way past 'tattletale' name calling) it would be funny. My mornings are hectic, to say the least - he usually starts texting, emailing and skyping me before 7am - I used to answer, sometimes do work from home, before last week.

Though I've decided not to give notice, I'm not going to quit like that. I'm going to email him. Politely. I'll clean out my desk/office the night before after everyone else has left for the day- which is usually about 30-45 minutes early, and leave my keys with the building manager.
ooohhhh sounds juicy, keep us posted and let us know how it goes

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
[quote=Z3N1TH 0N3;21098118
[B]Quite honestly, I don't feel that a lot of managers care why you're leaving. Their mentality tends to be "on to the next one".[/[/b]QUOTE]

Yup, that's all that matters. Most of the companies talk about how important the "people" are, nonsense. Managers could careless why you're leaving.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:00 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Write the fantasy letter but don't hand it in. I'm sure everyone is already well aware of the problems and HR will just find a way to make you the bad guy. If you do have an exit interview you can say things like, "My former job might be better filled by . . . " or "My former job would be better handled by someone who . . . " and then find a euphemistic way of telling them what you think.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
It's a great fantasy but don't do it. Never burn a bridge you can leave standing. I did mine in an e-mail.

Dear, XXX

This email is to confirm our earlier conversation.

I have secured another position and my last day of work here will be 10/09/2011.

I have enjoyed working here and knowing all of you. I wish everyone the best in the future.

Sincerely,
Yellowsnow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment