Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 01:30 PM

48 posts, read 140,494 times

Advertisements

I'm an 18 year old male attending classes at the local community college.

Right now I'm on the track for an associates degree but I feel like this is just a dead end street. It seems like in today's world it's either have a Bachelor's or you're bound to be "unsuccessful".

So my question is, what associates degree would be the best for later on in life? I do plan on transferring to a university eventually but I may need to work in between then. The only one with a guaranteed employment seems to be Nursing. I thought about it, but nursing doesn't suit my personality.

My school has an Associates in Fire Science and an Emergency Medical Services. Although they're technically not academic degrees, they are something. I like fairly okay living. I grew up in a middle class home with normal things, nothing extraordinary. I don't mind living in a part of town that's perceived as "rough" to the rich white folks. I would just like gainful employment with enough money to do my own hobbies. I think I heard my dad say something about getting an HVAC cert or maybe plumbing.

I've honestly thought about joining the military for a few years and becoming an Air Traffic Controller.
Let me know what you think guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDip View Post
So my question is, what associates degree would be the best for later on in life?
Wrong question.
Later in life comes later.

Quote:
I do plan on transferring to a university eventually but I may need to work in between then.
The only one with a guaranteed employment seems to be Nursing.
I thought about it, but nursing doesn't suit my personality.
Then find something that does.
Because 99.99999% of the utility in an Associates degree
is the job it qualifies you to get **immediately** upon graduation.

Quote:
Let me know what you think guys
Almost all companies and other employers used to have "tuition reimbursement programs".
A lot of them still do. Find the best program near you and then which jobs within that company
are either easiest to get, or pay the most, or that you may find most satisfying.

Get the Associates degree appropriate to that job and --THEN--
let the company help you get the next degrees.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment