Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times

Advertisements

IndustryWeek : Shortage of Skilled Workers Taking its Toll on U.S. Manufacturers

Here's an idea. Learn to accept some people who aren't trained and train them. It's called on-the-job training. Employers need to stop complaining they can't find anyone who already has X number of years experience and education and lower their sights a little.
When desperate people are out there taking whatever jobs they can find, lowering their expectations and taking huge pay cuts from what they used to make, the least these whining manufacturers can do is be willing to train people and give them a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
IndustryWeek : Shortage of Skilled Workers Taking its Toll on U.S. Manufacturers

Here's an idea. Learn to accept some people who aren't trained and train them. It's called on-the-job training. Employers need to stop complaining they can't find anyone who already has X number of years experience and education and lower their sights a little.
When desperate people are out there taking whatever jobs they can find, lowering their expectations and taking huge pay cuts from what they used to make, the least these whining manufacturers can do is be willing to train people and give them a chance.
I agree and stop berating applicants who didn't have a linear corporate career over the past 2 years (but otherwise were employed)... Seems to me that the poor job market & economy and companies preferring to in some cases use temps/contractors for a project doesn't resonate with many employers..

Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 AM

475 posts, read 1,371,369 times
While I agree with your responses, this doesn't sound like reality when other people post that they lost 60k jobs in manufacturing in their own state last month. These are the "opinions" of CEOs of 1100 companies who can't even determine exactly what they are looking for according to the 2nd paragraph and and is an "estimate" of 5% from some report from an Institute and a Deloitte LLP (why an LLP?) extracted to 600k. And suddenly we have headline ready, "600,000 jobs unfufilled". But after entire industries have been decimated here by exporting jobs, who can blame anyone from avoiding it entirely? Note the word "efficiency" in the article. Normally, this means lay-off.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
While I agree with your responses, this doesn't sound like reality when other people post that they lost 60k jobs in manufacturing in their own state last month. These are the "opinions" of CEOs of 1100 companies who can't even determine exactly what they are looking for according to the 2nd paragraph and and is an "estimate" of 5% from some report from an Institute and a Deloitte LLP (why an LLP?) extracted to 600k. And suddenly we have headline ready, "600,000 jobs unfufilled". But after entire industries have been decimated here by exporting jobs, who can blame anyone from avoiding it entirely? Note the word "efficiency" in the article. Normally, this means lay-off.
Efficiency means producing more, or the same with less. You want a good paying manufacturing job? Learn the technology, learn the programming, accept the fact that in order for manufacturing to survive in this country, you have to produce quickly, accurately, and efficiently. As a result, manufacturing will never employee 25% of the American population again, but at least it will employee some American's, instead of none. Beside, most young people have no interest in manufacturing anymore. Won't hurt their feelings.

The workers who don't learn new things will be stuck with old skills that will be of no use to an employer. I have definitely seen this happen. 50 year old guys that didn't want to learn anything new because they didn't think they had to. Well, a lot of those guys are no longer working. In every other line of work, updating you skills is expected, but many manufacturing workers felt they did not have to. Now they are "retired".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post

The company I work for brought me in along with 5 other people. We were all "trained", but I am the only one still working in the department. Very typical. Also, it's hard to "train" when young people are coming into these jobs with subpar math skills and bad attitudes. K-12 used to graduate students who were ready for the shop floor, but those days seem to be over. Most college grads have no interest in working on the shop floor, because they went to college so they didn't have to do those kinds of jobs. They don't want to start on the bottom. That has been changing to an extent though due to the terrible economy, so maybe things will be looking up once they suck it up and swallow their pride. Once they realize what kind of $$$ a production manager makes, they usually change their tune real quick.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
we decided the trades of our grandparents were not good nuf for our children. big mistake.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we decided the trades of our grandparents were not good nuf for our children. big mistake.
Yup. And people wonder why the Mexicans are buying up property here in Chicago while everyone else is loosing theirs...

Old 10-18-2011, 06:44 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
This is what happens when you make everyone fearful for their jobs. Lets use an example:

Company says they need "welders" so people go out on a limb to get welding certs. Then a few years later the work is done and the companies chew them up and spit them out. The welders go home and say wow, I did not even get enough work to get my school loan paid off and a nice little house for my wife and kid and a nice decent car paid off so his friends say well we dont want to be welders then.

Thats how it played out with petrolium engineers about 10-15 years ago and after the corporations left them all out to dry no one majored in it for a long time and when it came time to need them again there were only a hand full and they refused to work for less than 300-400$/hr and I say it serves the company right.

People dont want to go into areas of special interest if they are not going to be supported, especially since training in thoes fields is extremely difficult. If your going to get laid off anyways why not deliver pizzas and play video games, sleep in and enjoy life and go protest a little, maybe apply for some food stamps.

Corporations are the most abusive entities in modern history and they have free reign over the gov. It is the govs job to even things out for the social benifit of thoes that work hard. The republicans keep zeroing in on these hobo's sponge bathing in bathrooms but the truth is there are alot of skill tradesmen out of work because there are no contracts for their trade, people can only get so many licences and degrees you cant just plug a thumb drive into your head every time some corporation crys like a child that they dont have people to build turbines, maybe if they had supported thoes trades years ago they would not be having these problems.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
This is what happens when you make everyone fearful for their jobs. Lets use an example:

Company says they need "welders" so people go out on a limb to get welding certs. Then a few years later the work is done and the companies chew them up and spit them out. The welders go home and say wow, I did not even get enough work to get my school loan paid off and a nice little house for my wife and kid and a nice decent car paid off so his friends say well we dont want to be welders then.

Thats how it played out with petrolium engineers about 10-15 years ago and after the corporations left them all out to dry no one majored in it for a long time and when it came time to need them again there were only a hand full and they refused to work for less than 300-400$/hr and I say it serves the company right.

People dont want to go into areas of special interest if they are not going to be supported, especially since training in thoes fields is extremely difficult. If your going to get laid off anyways why not deliver pizzas and play video games, sleep in and enjoy life and go protest a little, maybe apply for some food stamps.

Corporations are the most abusive entities in modern history and they have free reign over the gov. It is the govs job to even things out for the social benifit of thoes that work hard. The republicans keep zeroing in on these hobo's sponge bathing in bathrooms but the truth is there are alot of skill tradesmen out of work because there are no contracts for their trade, people can only get so many licences and degrees you cant just plug a thumb drive into your head every time some corporation crys like a child that they dont have people to build turbines, maybe if they had supported thoes trades years ago they would not be having these problems.
How come I hear of so many people who tried to 'retrain' in Welding, HVAC or XXX trade and found they couldn't get an interview let alone a job.. Yes, they were probably consider too "Old" at age 45....

Corporations would rather hire the 20 something and let these bad attitudes & subpar math & communication skills slide because they are seen as hip, "fun" to be around

Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,231,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
How come I hear of so many people who tried to 'retrain' in Welding, HVAC or XXX trade and found they couldn't get an interview let alone a job.. Yes, they were probably consider too "Old" at age 45....

Corporations would rather hire the 20 something and let these bad attitudes & subpar math & communication skills slide because they are seen as hip, "fun" to be around
I am not sure. Another good example is technically the military is allowed to not pay you but thats a one time deal. If they ever did that it would take a generation or 2 before anyone would ever trust the military again. You could not even draft people into the military at that point and thats exactly what is happening now with alot of skilled trades and other difficult specialty training.

The nature of specialty training is it is only needed on some projects some of the time but when its needed its critical. Corporations think they can hang people out to dry when the work is done and now that is casading down to the next generation who dont want to get thoes certs for the debt, work and heart ach that comes with it.

The handfull of smart tradesmen that are left in the in demand fields are probably commanding 100$/hr and you cant blame them, they have no idea when the next contract is comming down the pipe and they will still be exposed since they wont have medical bennies after the contract is up.

This is how whole trades and bodies of knowlage are lost, just look at the fall of egypt and the library at alexandria or the fall of the roman empire and with thoes falls all the knowlage that went with it. The same thing will happen here it will just take a little longer and will be due to social issues rather than military issues or maybe a combination of the 2 in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment