Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I have to wonder how today's kids are going to turn out when they grow up and work. Because so many of them are being put on Ritalin. I have to wonder if they'll be dependent on meds as adults too.
They'll probably be no different from kids who suffer from asthma or some other physical condition which requires them to take medication all of their lives. Then again I don't know much about ritalin. ultimately that's an issue that should be taken up with their parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,999 times
My brain says "NO!!!" I had a great paying job working for the telephone company in ca and again the pay was unbelievable.
However because of the micro managing and stress they put everyone thru pretty much everyone was on some sort of medication either legal or illegal each and every day, and personally when I was working there every night I would come home and drink so much it was very unhealthy.
However now that I make $12 less a hour and I am part time my stupid part of my brain keeps looking back and wondering why I am sad I was laid off.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:38 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,073 times
The last full-time job I worked paid decently, but the schedule was horrible. I'm a die-hard night owl, but my job had a 7 a.m. starting time! Ack! Undrugged, it's always taken me several hours to fall asleep, no matter what time I go to bed. In order to wake up at the ungodly hour of 6 a.m. (the absolute latest I could've woken up with minimal time to get ready for work and make the short drive there), I would've had to force myself to fall asleep at 10 p.m. the night before. I can't do that without a little 'help'. So I was on Lunesta, which is fast-acting. Thing is, that stuff is ridiculously expensive, and we had very stingy prescription drug coverage (generics only...Lunesta doesn't have a generic form), so I paid out of pocket for my habit, in addition to the doctor visits required to get the stuff in the first place. Sometimes, you have to wonder how much of the money you make at a well-paying job goes to meds that get you through the day (or night, as was my case) that you might not need to be spending if you had a job that you didn't need psych meds for, even if that job paid less than the former.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,423 times
well great news!!!, i passed the background check and drug test!!!!!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,534 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011
This is a great thread, thank you. The past 4 weeks on my contract assignement have been hell. The only thing that helps me get through it (barely) has been natural 5HTP. So anyone out there not wanting toxic chemicals perscribed from a doctor might want to check it out at Whole Foods. (No, I'm not advertising it or trying to sell it on these boards, just sharing what works.)

I know my situation is related to my job and where I live. My predicament is that I want to move back west ASAP and if I can just hang in a few more paychecks, I will have the funds to get out of this foresaken state and job. It is physically affecting my health - headaches, backpain, upset stomach and crying everyday - before and after work. If I was going to stay in this city, I would just quit and look for something else, but it's taken so long to find something here!

Omg, please don't tell me you live in NYC and you're looking to move back to California..because that's MY story! No lie I could have posted this myself!
BingCherry - No, I wish I had the experience of living in NYC. I live in Dallas and can't stand it. (Part of my misery was the 45 minute commute!) I used to live in Las Vegas and CA and MISS IT! I am well traveled and have lived a bunch of other places, but there is NO PLACE like living out west!

I ended up quitting the job and am doing SO much better. I got hired at Costco and although it's a pay cut, I needed to do something because I was scared of myself and who I was becoming - someone unrecognizable. If I can give any advice out there, I'd quit your miserable job and cut unnecessary expenses. You'll thank yourself for it!

Old 02-25-2014, 04:33 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,901,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
...just to get through the day?

I feel like at least half of the people that I know are on some kind of psychiatric medicine to help them cope with their crappy jobs. People I sometimes wouldn't even suspect. I've even had many men admit this to me.

I was just thinking about this topic and decided to search it... I suspect more than half of the folks in the offices where I've worked have been on meds. We're an overmedicated society, and polypharmacy is a real issue.

To me, it's not worth it. But folks have to do what they have to do.

It's the misuse and abuse that's scary. The zombie like state... the lack of affect. The numbness....

That's not life

...Or living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Are we really an overworked "1st world" country?
Definitely 1st world problems.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:09 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Or maybe its because too many people in our society want a "quick fix" instead of trying to find a real solution. Blood pressure too high? Its easier to take a pill than to stop eating Big Macs and start eating a few more salads.
This is a bit of a tangent, but since blood pressure medication keeps getting brought up: I hope people here realize that plenty of people suffer from a genetic/hereditary predisposition towards hypertension that doesn't respond much to changes in diet and exercise and need ("need" as in they will will live longer) medication to manage their blood pressure.

I'm a 36 year-old, 130 lb, 5'11" vegetarian who leads an active lifestyle and yeah, I'm on medication for hypertension.

Last edited by BATCAT; 02-25-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 03:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,528 times
The OP's chart sums it up nicely.

That's where the money is going, and the jobs are vanishing as well.

No, most of the population does not have to be miserable and ill, but to provide a decent, stable work environment would mean some soulless jerk at the top might not be able to afford a weekend yacht, and we just can't have that... Also, there's money to be made in making people ill and then selling them overpriced drugs to make them "feel better" without addressing the causes of the problems, and this nation is all about the money - and not actually fixing the problems.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,857 times
Re the original question: no.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:43 PM

154 posts, read 307,885 times
I am allergic to practically everything so while I needed an anti-anxiety med at my last job, I couldn't take one. However, the stress (hostile work environment, crazy workload, sexual harrassment, high pressure) manifested in other ways.... First I dropped a ton of weight (from a healthy 125 at 5'3 to 95lb), then gained a bunch, then lost again; my marriage was adversely affected; I had attendance issues for the first time; nightmares, insomnia, a perpetual feeling of dread, acid reflux... But! I suffered through 2 years to get high level experience and now I have a job I thoroughly enjoy. I couldn't have gotten here without that experience, and I'm tougher as a result.

However, big pharma is making a killing. I work in the medical field and it seems like every other kid is on a psych med. crazy. I have no idea what the implication may be for our society's future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment