Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 AM

8,100 posts, read 12,830,851 times

Advertisements

I have an interview on Monday for a job that sounds as if it is what I have been looking for over the past six months. I have been getting the occasional call from employers but the jobs would not have offered the experience I am looking for.

On one hand the thought of driving that far every day is daunting. I could make it work and could use the time productively taking audio courses in career related subjects. I have run the costs, if I used the standard mileage rate of .51 cents a mile it doesn't make sense to do it. If I use my actual cost it would work dependent on the pay rate offered.

I hate to pass on this opportunity due to the distance with no other alternatives in sight. I don't have the option of moving for several reasons. 1) My house is paid for and the market stinks. It would be very difficult to sell and if I moved closer to town any cost savings from driving would be eaten up by a mortgage payment. 2) I have six dogs and they are not negotiable. I can't move to town and rent.

Is 56 miles one way too far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 10:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I have an interview on Monday for a job that sounds as if it is what I have been looking for over the past six months. I have been getting the occasional call from employers but the jobs would not have offered the experience I am looking for.

On one hand the thought of driving that far every day is daunting. I could make it work and could use the time productively taking audio courses in career related subjects. I have run the costs, if I used the standard mileage rate of .51 cents a mile it doesn't make sense to do it. If I use my actual cost it would work dependent on the pay rate offered.

I hate to pass on this opportunity due to the distance with no other alternatives in sight. I don't have the option of moving for several reasons. 1) My house is paid for and the market stinks. It would be very difficult to sell and if I moved closer to town any cost savings from driving would be eaten up by a mortgage payment. 2) I have six dogs and they are not negotiable. I can't move to town and rent.

Is 56 miles one way too far?
Vanpool? I vanpool and it is great.
Carpool?
Rail?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,220,904 times
If there are no other options then I don't think 56 miles is too far. I have colleagues at work that commute to Boston/Cambridge from Connecticut. Their commutes are 2 1/2- 3 hours one way since they take the train. If I don't leave at 6am my commute is still an hour. Then we have to pay for parking, tolls, etc.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Vanpool? I vanpool and it is great.
Carpool?
Rail?
I will have to look into the options. I know there is a "park & ride" but the location of this business would probably involve multiple bus transfers in order to get to the destination.

Thanks for the suggestion- I am going to have to see if it is a viable option.

This will not be a "permanent" situation, I will probably only do it for two or three years and then move on.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:56 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
You have mentioned your dogs in your other posts, and I think that's great that you love them so much.

Are they in the house most of the day? And is there someone who can let them out?

You're going to be gone probably an extra 2 1/2 to 3 hours everyday.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 AM

19 posts, read 64,945 times
One word:

motorcycle.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,927,678 times
This is where you have to play devil's advocate. What are the alternatives? Say you turn this job down. Is the next offer likely going to have less commute? Probably not. You're in Wartrace, TN, after all. So if you're going to end up commuting either way, that isn't really a deciding factor on whether or not to take the job, is it?

My opinion is, take the job. And keep looking for something closer. You might find something better, and if you do, you can always quit this job and take the other one. And if not, you haven't lost the opportunity.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have mentioned your dogs in your other posts, and I think that's great that you love them so much.

Are they in the house most of the day? And is there someone who can let them out?

You're going to be gone probably an extra 2 1/2 to 3 hours everyday.
I have an acre fenced yard and no neighbors so it isn't a problem. The reason I mentioned the dogs is that they are preventing me from getting an apartment or something closer to this job.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromartie View Post
One word:

motorcycle.
Two words "Nashville drivers". I have witnessed too much idiocy on the highways around here to even think about a motorcycle.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:47 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,135,200 times
the motorcycle idea and the car pool idea are worth looking into but if that doesnt pan out i would look at how long of a commute it is in traffic at the hours you would be on the road - then i would base my decision on that - im glad you said your dogs are not negotiable you made my day i feel the same way - any life without my pets is a deal breaker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment