Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
This is where you have to play devil's advocate. What are the alternatives? Say you turn this job down. Is the next offer likely going to have less commute? Probably not. You're in Wartrace, TN, after all. So if you're going to end up commuting either way, that isn't really a deciding factor on whether or not to take the job, is it?

My opinion is, take the job. And keep looking for something closer. You might find something better, and if you do, you can always quit this job and take the other one. And if not, you haven't lost the opportunity.
That is part of the consideration. I will have to drive regardless of the job unless something opens up in one of the nearby towns. I was hoping to find something in Murfeesboro which is about 25 miles away but nothing has come up yet.

You have a point. Is the commute going to be any less for the next job opening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 12:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Is it the kind of job where you could telecommute for part of the week?

Old 10-23-2011, 12:46 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Take the job.

I took a similar job my first job out of college, it was about a 50-mile trip one way. It took about 2.5 hours each way, and gas was at a then all time high. I lived at home with my parents so expenses were flexible.

I took the job to get going. I got sick of hearing no experience---no job. I considered it sort of a paid internship. within 6 months I got another offer 3 miles from home---it paid off!

One thing, they will be leary of you doing just that---ditching the job for one closer. They kept asking me if I planned to move closer to them. Just string them along, say something to the effect of you would consider moving closer to the job, but most landlords want to see one year employment before renting. that usually satisfies most nosy inquiries. Whatever you do, DON'T say your home is paid for, you can't sell it due to the market, blah, blah, its none of thier business.

You might want to consider either renting a room near the job, or small apt. Or at least scope out nearby hotels and travel with an overnight bag in case of bad weather, etc.And do make sure to get roadside assistance with a good towing package, you never know being on the road that much. and keep your car on a strict maintenance schedule.

Consider this job to be a break-even or even a loss financially just to get you on track. Or, who knows, you might like the job enough to move there! You could rent out your home and rent something in the job location---but you have your dogs---well, keep your eyes open, something might come up.

Just don't turn this job down, it might not provide money, but gives you the experience you need. Good luck

Old 10-23-2011, 01:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
It's not a great situation but it's doable. I lived in MN and had a 100 mile commute every day for 15 years. I learned to pay close attention to the weather because there were many days I had to leave really early. I also had backup plans and always kept a bag with extra clothes and emergency supplies in the car. After you get to know a few people at work you may have a place to stay in bad weather, and scope out the local motels too.

You'll have to make some backup plans for your dogs too. You can buy one of those plug in things to keep their water from freezing. Maybe you have a neighbor who would feed them if you couldn't make it home? I bet they already have a comfy house.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Don't take the job because if you do then you are stuck with a long commute and won't be able to quit because you won't get unemployment. Not only that you wouldn't be able to go on interviews because it would be too early to take off for a interview.

So i would pass on this opportunity

Old 10-23-2011, 01:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Amazing that the one negative input comes from the professional "employment counselor" who's about to be laid off once again. Yes, oh great guru, this is a job which YOU would pass on without hesitation because you can't even figure out how to catch a morning train for a 10 minute commute without creating a forum thread about it.

Hope everything works out for you, Wartrace. I did a 45 mile each way commute for a couple of years and it really wasn't that bad after a while. I had animals at home too (a dog and a couple of cats) but they adapted to the schedule!

Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Is it the kind of job where you could telecommute for part of the week?
It is a job that could be done remotely on occasion but I have to feel them out on how comfortable they would be with it.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Amazing that the one negative input comes from the professional "employment counselor" who's about to be laid off once again. Yes, oh great guru, this is a job which YOU would pass on without hesitation because you can't even figure out how to catch a morning train for a 10 minute commute without creating a forum thread about it.

Hope everything works out for you, Wartrace. I did a 45 mile each way commute for a couple of years and it really wasn't that bad after a while. I had animals at home too (a dog and a couple of cats) but they adapted to the schedule!
When you did you 45 mile commute that was 50 years ago so times have changed.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Take the job.

I took a similar job my first job out of college, it was about a 50-mile trip one way. It took about 2.5 hours each way, and gas was at a then all time high. I lived at home with my parents so expenses were flexible.

I took the job to get going. I got sick of hearing no experience---no job. I considered it sort of a paid internship. within 6 months I got another offer 3 miles from home---it paid off!

One thing, they will be leary of you doing just that---ditching the job for one closer. They kept asking me if I planned to move closer to them. Just string them along, say something to the effect of you would consider moving closer to the job, but most landlords want to see one year employment before renting. that usually satisfies most nosy inquiries. Whatever you do, DON'T say your home is paid for, you can't sell it due to the market, blah, blah, its none of thier business.

You might want to consider either renting a room near the job, or small apt. Or at least scope out nearby hotels and travel with an overnight bag in case of bad weather, etc.And do make sure to get roadside assistance with a good towing package, you never know being on the road that much. and keep your car on a strict maintenance schedule.

Consider this job to be a break-even or even a loss financially just to get you on track. Or, who knows, you might like the job enough to move there! You could rent out your home and rent something in the job location---but you have your dogs---well, keep your eyes open, something might come up.

Just don't turn this job down, it might not provide money, but gives you the experience you need. Good luck
That's what I am running into, lack of experience. If I look at it the way you suggest, as "tuition" it does seem worthwhile. I am hoping that since this is a smaller business they will allow me to be flexible during weather events. (People in Nashville don't do snow very well)

Old 10-23-2011, 01:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When you did you 45 mile commute that was 50 years ago so times have changed.
Indeed. The buggy made for rough riding and the turnover of horses was pretty high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment