Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:50 PM

51 posts, read 362,494 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be graduating this coming May and as the "end" approaches the feeling of my major (psychology) being useless continues to fester in my mind. I wanted to see if taking any useful classes would help my job search. For example, I have a strong interest in Accounting and would like to know if taking an intro financial accounting class would help me at all or if I am pretty much ****ed for my job search. If not accounting, are there any classes in any department which might help me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:45 PM

379 posts, read 813,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit Knots View Post
I'm going to be graduating this coming May
Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit Knots View Post
as the "end" approaches the feeling of my major (psychology) being useless continues to fester in my mind.
I've seen a book that speaks about the different things each degree could be used for. For example, not only could you be a psychologist, but maybe in a corporate setting, an hr department might like someone in your field to weed out those that might have undesirable tendencies, such as ax murdering, pilfering and pillaging.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:58 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
Do you have any plans to continue your education and earn a doctorate or masters degree? It seems like a bachelors degree in psychology is a worthless degree if you don't follow up with it.

My cousin and two friends have a bachelors in psychology. My cousin has been working as a physical therapy assistant, one of my friends is working in landscape and the other was working at McDonald's and is now unemployed.

In some areas there is a demand for day and night shift workers in psychiatric hospitals and those only require a bachelors degree, so you could try there if interested in that type of work.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
You cannot call yourself a psychologist in most states without a Ph.D. Masters level folks are counselors. Bachelor degree folks can be psych techs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
You can also work as a caseworker with a non-profit or social service department in the government. If you're brave, the government also likes psychology majors for parole and probation. Like others have said, psychology really only becomes useful at the master's level when you can become a counselor or psychotherapist. The terminal degree (where you can call yourself a psychologist) is a PhD or PsyD.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:24 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
You can also work as a caseworker with a non-profit or social service department in the government. If you're brave, the government also likes psychology majors for parole and probation. Like others have said, psychology really only becomes useful at the master's level when you can become a counselor or psychotherapist. The terminal degree (where you can call yourself a psychologist) is a PhD or PsyD.

From what I have seen, the chances of getting a position like that without an LSW or MSW are pretty slim.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:26 AM

To answer the OP's question, I really doubt that taking a class or two at the end of your degree program is going to help you out at all.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:38 PM

51 posts, read 362,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
Congratulations!

I've seen a book that speaks about the different things each degree could be used for. For example, not only could you be a psychologist, but maybe in a corporate setting, an hr department might like someone in your field to weed out those that might have undesirable tendencies, such as ax murdering, pilfering and pillaging.
I was thinking about HR. I've done a few informational interviews and it seems like a lot of fun. The only issue is that it will be harder to get a job in HR if I didn't do an internship. However, I still plan on applying left and right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Do you have any plans to continue your education and earn a doctorate or masters degree? It seems like a bachelors degree in psychology is a worthless degree if you don't follow up with it.

My cousin and two friends have a bachelors in psychology. My cousin has been working as a physical therapy assistant, one of my friends is working in landscape and the other was working at McDonald's and is now unemployed.

In some areas there is a demand for day and night shift workers in psychiatric hospitals and those only require a bachelors degree, so you could try there if interested in that type of work.
That's whats scaring me. At my school we have a lot of career fairs and it seems as if the only jobs I would be elligible for are becoming a store manager at Macy's. Talk about fun. Anyway, I plan on going to grad school. Just not straight out of college. I need at least a year off. I like the idea of working at psychiatric hospitals. Seems like a unique experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
To answer the OP's question, I really doubt that taking a class or two at the end of your degree program is going to help you out at all.
That's what I figured. I secretly wanted to do it because I've always wanted to work in the FBI (be a police officer for 3 years ---> apply to FBI) and one of our career counselors said that the FBI looks for applicants who follow the rules, are meticulous, and look for discrepancies. All of which are qualities of accountants.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
From what I have seen, the chances of getting a position like that without an LSW or MSW are pretty slim.
No, it's not. Job ads are pretty clear about requiring an MSW or LCSW or whatever they call it in your state. Child Protective Services in Texas only requires a bachelor's degree in anything. I have applied to dozens of open positions with non-profits and the government only requiring a bachelor's in psychology, sociology, social work, counseling, or a related subject. People just have to search, search, search and not make any assumptions. Making assumptions is how people end up falsely believing they can't do anything with their degree. Go to Indeed and type in psychology or social/behavioral science(s). You might be surprised at how many positions only require a bachelor's degree. It all depends on your job market. Where I live, there are plenty of caseworker positions only asking for a bachelor's degree.

My problem is that I haven't graduated yet, but I've been applying anyway since I'm only two months away from having my degree conferred. Since the unemployment rate is high, I'm competing with people who have years of experience for entry level jobs.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:46 AM

Like you said, it depends on the local job market. Also, bear in mind that posted requirements are the minimum accepted by the company and that preferance is frequently given to those who exceed the minimum requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment