Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

It's very unprofessional of them to tell you the reason the previous person left, and borders on illegal since it may have been "fishing" for your response to show that you would never do such a thing.

In our office we have staff in HR devoted to ergonomics, and any employee may ask them to do a full study of their workspace and get recommendations for changes. With only 16 people there that's obviously not going to happen, in fact with under 50 employees there are many employment laws that do not apply.

If you need the money, I'd suggest taking it and then keep looking for something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 PM

379 posts, read 813,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free106 View Post
the last job I had the worst office in the whole place. All my co-workers knew it and mocked me about it. It was awful.
If you think your last place of work was bad, this scenario sounds worse. Will it be? Good thing you even asked about where you'd be working or you would have been in for the big surprise,

Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Quote:
I do need a job but, the last job I had I had the worst office in the whole place. All my co-workers knew it and mocked me about it. It was awful.
Why would you care if co-workers mocked you about something so stupid? It sounds like you may have been a little overly sensitive?

And just so you know, I've worked for major companies where they sometimes stuck a new worker in the conference room temporarily. And that new worker didn't have to go hide out in the bathroom when there was a meeting - they would usually take over someone else's desk if they weren't involved in the meeting. When you're new, you may not get the choice spot and the best chair and the the corner office in your first week - you may have to give them time to fit you into their corporate culture and space.

So to turn down a job - a job you need - without even asking if it's a permanent or temporary solution? I don't get it?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 AM

54 posts, read 162,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
If you think your last place of work was bad, this scenario sounds worse. Will it be? Good thing you even asked about where you'd be working or you would have been in for the big surprise,
I agree. Mental sanity is important, at the end of the day. My last job I worked hard for 8 hours or more a day, dealt with catty co-workers, micromanaging and demeaning bosses, I could go on....

But, I think I will say I got another offer. Although, I really haven't yet. Should I do that?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,212 times
Quote:
I interviewed for an accounting job. The interview went well however, they said the last person left abruptly after four years to be a "stay at home mom." We interviewed in their conference room which had dark blue almost black depressing walls. I asked where my office would be and they said in this room the "conference room" in a corner with no windows or proper lighting... The desk was there with a printer and file cabinet etc.,

At the close of the interview they asked for my references. Should I give them references and accept this job if offered? I also hate the location.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is how bad are you hurting for work? Does this job pay more than you you currently have coming in?

If you are out of work and out of unemployment then take it and keep looking. If you are living ok then keep looking. Sounds to me like this is a poorly run company by having someone working in a conference room but I have seen worse.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
I guess the question you need to ask yourself is how bad are you hurting for work? Does this job pay more than you you currently have coming in?

If you are out of work and out of unemployment then take it and keep looking. If you are living ok then keep looking. Sounds to me like this is a poorly run company by having someone working in a conference room but I have seen worse.
I agree with you 100%. I believe they are offering less money than I was making on my last job. They also do not offer vision care which I need (I wear contact lens). I just don't want to deal with all of these negatives right off the bat. When I walked in the place the energy seemed so unprofessional. The bosses I interviewed with wore jeans and a fleece walmart sweater and it was a Monday, lol.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:32 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Why would you care if co-workers mocked you about something so stupid? It sounds like you may have been a little overly sensitive?

And just so you know, I've worked for major companies where they sometimes stuck a new worker in the conference room temporarily. And that new worker didn't have to go hide out in the bathroom when there was a meeting - they would usually take over someone else's desk if they weren't involved in the meeting. When you're new, you may not get the choice spot and the best chair and the the corner office in your first week - you may have to give them time to fit you into their corporate culture and space.

So to turn down a job - a job you need - without even asking if it's a permanent or temporary solution? I don't get it?
From how it sounded in the original post the "office" was already set up in the conference room so it wasn't temporary, that was the office.

It sounds easy enough to say just get up and sit somewhere else anytime there is a meeting that the OP wouldn't be involved in.

It becomes problematic when you're working on your computer and you're right in the middle of something and you have to move.

Or if you're under a deadline and you have to leave for an hour due to someone having a meeting.

Depending on how often the conference room is used this could be a major hassle.

It's always easy to tell someone else just take the job, when it isn't you that has to deal with obstacles.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
From how it sounded in the original post the "office" was already set up in the conference room so it wasn't temporary, that was the office.

It sounds easy enough to say just get up and sit somewhere else anytime there is a meeting that the OP wouldn't be involved in.

It becomes problematic when you're working on your computer and you're right in the middle of something and you have to move.

Or if you're under a deadline and you have to leave for an hour due to someone having a meeting.

Depending on how often the conference room is used this could be a major hassle.

It's always easy to tell someone else just take the job, when it isn't you that has to deal with obstacles.
Again, I agree! People love to say that when it is not them. It could be why the previous person abruptly left.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Again, I agree! People love to say that when it is not them. It could be why the previous person abruptly left.
Exactly. When people are giving advice they should try and consider how they would feel in the situation. Not just tell someone take the job.

If they use that conference room a couple times of week that would be disruptive enough. Even if you didn't have to leave while they had a meeting it would be awkward to be sitting there, and especially when you're a new employee.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. When people are giving advice they should try and consider how they would feel in the situation. Not just tell someone take the job.

If they use that conference room a couple times of week that would be disruptive enough. Even if you didn't have to leave while they had a meeting it would be awkward to be sitting there, and especially when you're a new employee.
At this point, as I think about it this is downright ridiculous, lol. Why in the hell would someone have the audacity to interview people for a job if their office was in the conference room? It just goes to show how you they CARE about their employees. I don't care if meetings were once in a blue moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment