Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 06:11 AM

845 posts, read 1,348,941 times

Advertisements

Let me just say first that this post is NOT intended for bashing either Man or Woman at the workplace.

Anyways, I work constantly work with the assistant manager. For some reason, she always likes to bring up that women are more efficient workers than men are. Not to say men are bad workers, but just women are more efficient. I like to think I'm a hard worker, too; keeping busy and making sure things get done before my shift ends.

So for the reason above, I want to know some things men and women alike bring to a workplace. I understand both can do things at the same speed, intelligence, and efficiency, but what are some things they bring in specifically.

I just want to know for when the next time she decides to bring women up, I can agree with her in my mind but also rebuttal her comment about how we are different. Also, maybe bring up the guys at work a couple pegs.

Let's keep this from bashing the opposite sex. So, please be careful what you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:17 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Women: more attention to detail. Keep work space neat and tidy. Gentle and caring nature, and reflects often in their work. Work life balance. Helps balance the workplace. Do not show off, to the point of good work sometimes going unnoticed. Reasonable negotiators, and give and take attitude. Always nice to have something pretty running around

Men: Muscle and a get the job done attitude. Willingness to burn the midnight oil. More career driven, sometimes to the point of even jeopardizing family life. Blunt and direct. Willingness to accept blame and move on. I would venture to say more pride, but not always earned or deserved. Women are more subtle about this.

These are (over) generalizations, and just some things I have observed in the workplace. I'm not going to get into any disadvantages though.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 PM

379 posts, read 813,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
she always likes to bring up that women are more efficient workers than men are.
You could say, I wonder why I've never seen a woman U.S. president then.

But preface everything you respond to her snide comment with, "I don't like to gender bash" or something like that, to let her know that she's gender bashing. Also what she's doing may be sexual harrassment, besides being immature.

It would be funny if one day someone asked you, "So how's it going over here?" and you respond with, "No complaints. I like to think I'm doing a good job but Linda always says to me that women are more efficient workers than men. Gee, I hope I am doing a good job.

If someone else happens to hear about what she's doing, they hopefully will put an end to it. Having to endure that must be pretty sad.

Last edited by mash potato; 11-02-2011 at 09:08 PM..

Old 11-03-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Women: more attention to detail. Keep work space neat and tidy. Gentle and caring nature, and reflects often in their work. Work life balance. Helps balance the workplace. Do not show off, to the point of good work sometimes going unnoticed. Reasonable negotiators, and give and take attitude. Always nice to have something pretty running around

Men: Muscle and a get the job done attitude. Willingness to burn the midnight oil. More career driven, sometimes to the point of even jeopardizing family life. Blunt and direct. Willingness to accept blame and move on. I would venture to say more pride, but not always earned or deserved. Women are more subtle about this.

These are (over) generalizations, and just some things I have observed in the workplace. I'm not going to get into any disadvantages though.
Thanks for this. I've been wondering what to say against her comments. Not so much to her, but just in my head, or so much as a, "OK, women are more efficient, but men are..." I don't take them in a demeaning way, but trying to bring myself back up or wonder what she actually thinks of guys in the workplace, it just gets me thinking.

She does send a good challenge, though. I haven't worked so hard in my life trying to keep up with her >_<.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Tell her that you find her overgeneralized, sexist remarks offensive and that you fail to see how they build teamwork and a positive working environment.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
I have found that some men make quicker decisions than some women. Women and their details (that's me!) can get slowed down but the payoff is in the details. Men and their quicker decisions may overlook a detail but the payoff is accomplishing a lot of work. In the end, the work gets done, but it takes a different path to get there.

I used to have a female boss who never hired a man in our department (I know, very sexist) b/c she said they just didn't get it and wouldn't pay attention to the details which was important in those positions. Years later, after many changes, two men were hired. Guess what? Personalities aside, they did just fine. I helped train them and it wasn't too hard or too complicated...details still important but they were smart and "got" the job. Now I say "personality aside" b/c as individuals, they could be annoying about wanting to change every procedure that they thought was stupid.

I don't know how you handle little comments about "men" this and "women" that...I know we can generalize but I still look at the individual. I'd personally want to set the supervisor straight...but I'd probably get in trouble!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I don't know how you handle little comments about "men" this and "women" that...I know we can generalize but I still look at the individual. I'd personally want to set the supervisor straight...but I'd probably get in trouble!
She's a little weird. Most of these conversations happen after work or on the phone, as we like to talk about work and other things and how we can improve them. I like to think this is a way of recognizing herself being a good worker, too, because no one else will. We do have a system at work to show recognition. I've posted her name, as well as others, to show them they do good work.

However, I do see her covering my butt a lot, or finishing things she wants me to do herself. She doesn't give me a lot of room to really even do things she asks me to do. This will be a conversation for another time between me and her.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:27 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitopcat View Post
I've been wondering what to say against her comments. Not so much to her, but just in my head,
Yeah, don't say it out loud! Because you know how you feel when she says women are more efficient? Sort of offended and irritated? Well she'll most likely feel the exact same way about whatever you were to say men are better at - and do you really want to irritate your boss?

Some things are just better off left unsaid. Yes, she's totally in the wrong, and her assertion is a ridiculous stereotype - and not true. But if you join in with your own ridiculous stereotypes, that will only make things worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment