Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,157,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I have a couple tattoos and it has not hurt my chances at work. I make sure when I get ink it is in areas I can conceal. When I am at work no one knows I have a tattoo unless I show them.
Agreed. Many people have tattoos, As long as it's under clothing, No one knows.
Easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,393,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
I don't think it's anything to worry about. In some cities in the US , the number of people who have tattoos is probably greater than the number who don't now. Some weird visual piercing locations are still pretty unpopular.

But I sadly predict in the next 8-13 years, more than half of the us pop above 18yrs old will have tattoos

you will be the minority if your clean cut

... AND you will be the boss.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,712,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
But I sadly predict in the next 8-13 years, more than half of the us pop above 18yrs old will have tattoos

Why is this, "sad"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I have a couple tattoos and it has not hurt my chances at work. I make sure when I get ink it is in areas I can conceal. When I am at work no one knows I have a tattoo unless I show them.

Same here. I know a fair number of people, like myself, who are in management or higher positions (and we're talking in corporate environments) who do have tattoos and who do very well in terms of job, salary, etc. But these people all have tattoos that are easily covered by a suit and tie, or even just a shirt for that matter.

Yes, if you put a big ol' tattoo on your forehead - that may be problematic in the professional world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
... AND you will be the boss.
You would be surprised.

Funny how discussion of that poorly written "article" that all people have focused on is the tattoos - not on all of the other personal hygene and dress factors mentioned.

Last edited by Tober138; 11-10-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,978,123 times
I used to draw on myself when I was a child. Then I grew up.

Sorry, I had to say it!

But I do have a general curiosity as to what people gain from having drawings on their body. Is there a psychological factor involved? There has to be some sort of theory that tries to understand this.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 PM

511 posts, read 2,453,370 times
Two questions:

If tattoos are so great why are people hiding them?

If 25% of people hate tattoos and find out you have one that is a good number of people who will not hire or promote you. In today's economy we need the respect from as many people as you can find.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:41 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,157,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Two questions:

If 25% of people hate tattoos and find out you have one that is a good number of people who will not hire or promote you. In today's economy we need the respect from as many people as you can find.
Good question. Tattoos are an art form, and self-expression. We should be free to be ourselves, And our private lives should be just that, Private. They can be easily covered up in most day to day work environments. And you would be surprised how many people we assume don't have them do as well.

I have NO tattoos for the record. We should be judged by the effort and performance we put in, Rightfully so.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,407,327 times
I have a tattoo, it was symbolic of my freedom. I love it. But, since I don't wear backless gowns or halter tops to work, it is not an issue. I also have a small dragon on my leg, someone commented on it the other day, when I was wearing a skirt...I don't think the dragon will get me fired. As for piercings, I have several, ears only, I think it looks sort of cool.

But, I also have an unconvential job. Looking high fashion and quirky is sort of part of the game.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:33 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,489,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Two questions:

I have mine because I can show them when I want.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:35 PM

535 posts, read 586,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I used to draw on myself when I was a child. Then I grew up.

Sorry, I had to say it!

But I do have a general curiosity as to what people gain from having drawings on their body. Is there a psychological factor involved? There has to be some sort of theory that tries to understand this.

Z3 my pal, you just came up with the next reality style show on the history channel!

It's not about hoarding, or pawning, or picking, or intervening, it's about people who hoard on to memories by picking out pictures to draw on their bodies to symbolize intervening times in their life and selling their valuables to pay for their tattoos.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 AM

511 posts, read 2,453,370 times
Will you be working in that job or industry in the future where people think your tattoos are cool? Maybe not. Is it possible that you may end up working in a more conservative field in the future where you will interact with people who think your tattoos are stupid and will discriminate against you for your youthful indiscretion without telling you they are?

To me tattoos are too permanent and what seems cool at age 25 will be a "how could I have been so stupid back then twenty years from now!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have a tattoo, it was symbolic of my freedom. I love it. But, since I don't wear backless gowns or halter tops to work, it is not an issue. I also have a small dragon on my leg, someone commented on it the other day, when I was wearing a skirt...I don't think the dragon will get me fired. As for piercings, I have several, ears only, I think it looks sort of cool.

But, I also have an unconvential job. Looking high fashion and quirky is sort of part of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment