Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times

Advertisements

Personally, there is nothing that I have ever liked or loved that I would be all into getting emblazoned on my body for.. well.. the rest of my mortality.

I mean, I love my mother dearly-- but I don't need anything that is tattooed on me to say that. Same with if I had any kids. I have too many friends who now have leopards, or tribal things, or other ink on them that now in their mid 30s.. not as "cool" anymore or desired.

I personally dont care about tattoos-- not for me. I have seen some men where they look incredible on them, but as an expression of art-- I just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:25 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,781 times
Default This could be a problem.

Seems like an appropriate place to post this.
Attached Thumbnails
How piercings and tattoos hurt your career........-ismaelambrosio.jpg  

Old 11-11-2011, 06:28 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
Will you be working in that job or industry in the future where people think your tattoos are cool? Maybe not. Is it possible that you may end up working in a more conservative field in the future where you will interact with people who think your tattoos are stupid and will discriminate against you for your youthful indiscretion without telling you they are?

To me tattoos are too permanent and what seems cool at age 25 will be a "how could I have been so stupid back then twenty years from now!"
This is not the 1950's. Managers who discriminate against tatoos are on their way out. In 10 years this probably won't be a topic.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
This is not the 1950's. Managers who discriminate against tatoos are on their way out. In 10 years this probably won't be a topic.
No, it's wishful thinking on your part. That is unless the rich and famous remove the social stigma from tattoos to make them fashionable main stream.

Women with tattoos may have the hardest time gaining social acceptance since in today's world female tattoos are considered as form of disfigurement by many people. I can't imagine a face makeup commercial with a model with face and/or upper body tattoos.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:35 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
No, it's wishful thinking on your part. That is unless the rich and famous remove the social stigma from tattoos to make them fashionable main stream.

Women with tattoos may have the hardest time gaining social acceptance since in today's world female tattoos are considered as form of disfigurement by many people. I can't imagine a face makeup commercial with a model with face and/or upper body tattoos.
If you looked into the history of how tattoos became popular in Western societies, you'd discover that tattoos were found highly interesting by the wealthy and the aristocratic before "common" people started getting them. Tattoos are only a social stigma because when the aristocrats noticed commoners getting tattoos, they stopped doing it because they didn't want to be unfashionable.

I respect your opinions but we've been over this already in Fashion and Beauty, a long time ago. As far as women having tattoos and modeling, there are plenty of actors and actresses who have tattoos... and they are typically covered over by makeup for whatever it is they are doing, so imagine away.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
I wonder what his SAT score was.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:07 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
I used to draw on myself when I was a child. Then I grew up.

Sorry, I had to say it!

But I do have a general curiosity as to what people gain from having drawings on their body. Is there a psychological factor involved? There has to be some sort of theory that tries to understand this.
I never understood it either ... Looks like graffiti on the body ...

Old 11-12-2011, 12:11 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
WOW! That's not very bright to have that tattooed on his face ... I've seen two males that had every inch of their face and bald head covered completely in various tattoos ... That's very short-sighted of them to disfigure themselves without any regards to their futures.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:37 AM

511 posts, read 2,451,325 times
Quote:
Maybe, but do you know for sure? MAYBE the opposite will happen and in 10 years people will look at tattoos with laughter like many fashion trends from years ago that seemed so cool at the time.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:28 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
If tattoos are so great why are people hiding them?
Its not a matter of "hiding them" as much as knowing what are and are not acceptable ways to present oneself in one's professional environment. Yes my tattoos are covered when at work or at a work-related function. I also don't wear my ripped jeans and old Ramones t-shirts in those environments either and I no longer have blue Manic Panic dye on the tips of my hair. Much in the same way I don't wear a jacket and tie when out and about on weekends (unless I'm dressed up for a nice dinner or something).

Quote:
Will you be working in that job or industry in the future where people think your tattoos are cool? Maybe not. Is it possible that you may end up working in a more conservative field in the future where you will interact with people who think your tattoos are stupid...
Quite possible. In my current position, many people in my current company know I have tattoos and have seen them (and I'm not the only one in our office either). But as a company we are pretty laid back in general. But, but the same token, we often interact with clients on a very professional level and I (like others) have mine where they are invisible to anyone I interact with in such settings. So its a non-issue.

By the same token, there are many things that many people choose to do in their personal lives that others may think are "stupid." Not every facet of one's personal life comes into play in the corporate environment.

Quote:
To me tattoos are too permanent and what seems cool at age 25 will be a "how could I have been so stupid back then twenty years from now!"
Totally cool - that's your opinion and I can respect that. Different strokes and all that. Although I got my most recent tattoo last year and it seemed (and still seems) pretty cool to me....at age 40.

Quote:
I tend to disagree to an extent. I think they are not looked down on by as many people as they may have been in the recent past, but there will always be some people who have an issue with them. And, along with that, depending on the position, yes they can be seen as unprofessional. It may not be by a manager, they may have no problem with them whatsoever, but that manager may know that others that you could interact with may not feel the same and, as a result, cannot allow someone with visible tattoos to represent their company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment