Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,535 times

Advertisements

After spending entirely too much time reading this engaging forum I have a question to ask of everyone.

When is it appropriate to go to Human Resources (HR) to complain about a boss, co-worker, work environment or whatever it is that has gotten you upset?

Have you ever been called odwn to HR and if so, what for and what was the outcome?

I am new to the corporate world and I have heard all kinds of stories since I started my job and I am appalled at what I am hearing! (Noooo I am not at work now. )

From what I can make of it thus far, it would appear that the people who are going to HR are going for one or two reasons. The first to get fired, the second to complain about someone to get them fired!

When is it appropriate to go to HR to complain about something, and what should one expect when they go?

Thanks, I don't mean to sound guileless, but I've never worked at such a large place before where they've ever needed an HR department!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinusOneForever View Post
When is it appropriate to go to Human Resources (HR) to complain about a boss, co-worker, work environment or whatever it is that has gotten you upset?
Never. No, you do not talk to humourous resources ever with respect to a complaint. However, you can buy the HR girl a flower or a bouquet, provided she is pretty with humongous resources. No complaints, yeah, you got that right! Nada

Quote:
Have you ever been called odwn to HR and if so, what for and what was the outcome?
Never called down. I always made a pit stop. For reasons mentioned above.

Wait, I take it back. She would call me once in a while for a coffee break. But then she was on the lower rung, she never really was HR to me. That H no, this H, big time, way up there

Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Realize that HR works for the company. They are out to protect the company, especially legally.

Anything you say can get back to the person you are complaining about, especially if a manager. It can also get to several other folks in mgmt.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:57 AM

231 posts, read 814,142 times
Quote:
After spending entirely too much time reading this engaging forum I have a question to ask of everyone.

I am new to the corporate world and I have heard all kinds of stories since I started my job and I am appalled at what I am hearing! (Noooo I am not at work now. )

From what I can make of it thus far, it would appear that the people who are going to HR are going for one or two reasons. The first to get fired, the second to complain about someone to get them fired!

When is it appropriate to go to HR to complain about something, and what should one expect when they go?

Thanks, I don't mean to sound guileless, but I've never worked at such a large place before where they've ever needed an HR department!

not sure how long you have been working for the company but I would wait until after your probation is up then make a call to HR, if you are in probation and start complaining, they might just let you go

make a complaint on a boss when you think its in the companies best interest to have the problem resolved

Old 12-02-2011, 06:18 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times
You go to HR when there is a problem that HR needs to be concerned about, such as contract violations, failure to pay OT, employee theft issues, practices that will get the place sued, etc. You don't go to HR and tell them that your boss is mean or you think your boss doesn't like you, unless you boss displays his/her feelings by engaging in actions that violate work rules or will get the place sued.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:58 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,101,735 times
Generally the boss got his job from nepotism. His boss who likes him will hear your complaint to HR and squash you. HR is not there to protect you.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:49 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Unless your boss is doing something illegal, like that breaks labor or sexual harrassment laws, going to HR is complain about him or her will most likely result in your unemployment.

Grown-up people don't run to somebody to tattle about what someone else is doing or because they don't like what they are doing or how they act.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Unless your boss is doing something illegal, like that breaks labor or sexual harrassment laws, going to HR is complain about him or her will most likely result in your unemployment.

Grown-up people don't run to somebody to tattle about what someone else is doing or because they don't like what they are doing or how they act.
as an HR professional for over 30 years, I say never, never, never. And if you quit you job over this issue, be careful about what you say in the exit interview too. Better yet don't go to the exit interview if you can avoid it.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:54 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
HR is not your friend. As posters have said their concern is to proctect the company.

I used to work at a well known university in CA. I was walking with a coworker with one day and they pointed to a woman and said "there goes the most hated woman on campus"....LOL.

She was the Director of Employee Relations. He said "you go to her about an issue about your dept. and before you get back to your office they (your dept) know about it."

This was my first real job out of college but I learned don't stir the pot.

It sounds from your post you want to "tattle" on someone as MightyQueen said, really bad idea.

Worry about your own work and not what others are doing.

You will be viewed as problematic if you start going down to complain about others not thanked by HR. Which I think in your mind is what you think they want you to do.....they don't.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
As stated above, HR is really a legal department, and their job is to protect the company.

If you have an interpersonal issue with a coworker, you really shouldn't be going to anyone unless it is affecting your work performance. That is, if a coworker is simply snippy and unpleasant with you, that's irrelevant. Figure out how to deal with that. If the coworker is not only disagreeable but refuses to share pertinent information with you that is essential to your job duties then you need to speak to your direct supervisor.

Really the only time you would go to HR in such a situation is if you then feel that your supervisor is doing something inappropriate from a legal standpoint. For example if you complain to your supervisor about your coworker's interference with your job duties and their response is that they agree the coworker is impeding your work but they can't do anything because of the coworker's race or gender, then you should talk to HR because the supervisor is basing disciplinary decisions on statuses that are protected. Or if the company has a written policy stating that interpersonal complaints must be dealt with by holding a mediation meeting to resolve the situation and the supervisor refuses to do so, then that should be reported to HR because they are violating a company policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment