Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,615,092 times

Advertisements

I need to vent. The company I'm contracting with has zero boundaries when it comes to employee solicitations.

In my 6+ months of working here -

A co-worker sent around Paypal links asking everyone to pay for her honeymoon, jet-skis & airfare.
Another e-mail went around asking for donations for her pre-bridal lunch (she isn't even a friendly person!)
Solicitations for Girl scout cookies
Another employee wrote his birthday on my calendar and asked for $50 so he could attend a concert!
Another co-worker asking for funds for her charity runs
Miscellaneous crafts for sale - sweaters, scarves, ect
Pampered Chef being promoted!

Does anyone else find this totally inappropriate in the workplace?! I fight urges not to e-mail HR. This by far is the tackiest, classless company I've worked for. I would never think of ever asking for such things from co-workers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,466,234 times
If you complain to HR and it gets back that you are the complainer you could find yourself in a bad situation with your coworkers and even boss. If it were me I'd just say no.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you complain to HR and it gets back that you are the complainer you could find yourself in a bad situation with your coworkers and even boss. If it were me I'd just say no.
That's exactly what I've been doing. Thanks to CD boards, I know better than to contact HR. They obviously don't care anyways to let this crap fly!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,063,024 times
I can say that other than the rare charity run I've never encountered any of these things in my 20+ years of working as an adult.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,304,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I need to vent. The company I'm contracting with has zero boundaries when it comes to employee solicitations.

A co-worker sent around Paypal links asking everyone to pay for her honeymoon, jet-skis & airfare.
Another e-mail went around asking for donations for her pre-bridal lunch (she isn't even a friendly person!)
Another employee wrote his birthday on my calendar and asked for $50 so he could attend a concert!

Does anyone else find this totally inappropriate in the workplace?! I fight urges not to e-mail HR. This by far is the tackiest, classless company I've worked for. I would never think of ever asking for such things from co-workers!
I agree with you 100%. Apparently these days (at least in Florida) schools send students out to sell everything possible. There are always "catalogs" in the kitchen area for wrapping paper, household knicknacks, candy, cakes, popcorn, etc. and these are only the student sales. Then we also have the Girl Scout cookies, Pampered Chef, etc. Since these are friends' and coworkers' kids who are selling all the wares, you feel like a grinch if you do not buy anything. I also find it incredible that schools can't afford supplies without sending kids out to sell stuff--it's kind of offensive and reflects our society's disinterest in investing in education. Public schools should have enough funds to operate (we do pay taxes for schools) without turning schoolkids into shills.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I can say that other than the rare charity run I've never encountered any of these things in my 20+ years of working as an adult.
Me either! It's like I've stepped into some weird twilight zone portal since day one! I worked with blue collar, tatt'd up engineers at an old gig and none of them behaved the way these tacky, clueless and classless people behave!

Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM
WDJ

286 posts, read 790,020 times
The only solicitations I get around my office is for Girl Scout cookies and coupon books, which are totally fine with me. Other than the charity run maybe, everything else on that list above is really tacky. Co-workers should never be asking for funds for their own personal usage.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:00 AM

19,591 posts, read 9,591,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post

Bolded text - Wow, is that ever a TACKY move on their part SMH

Can you wear t-shirts to work? Maybe carry placard sign whenever approached: [simple: cut and paste character onto cardboard; fancy: go to one of those craft stores, get something like the hand up and maybe glitterize it, neon, or,...].

People sure like to press their luck and sounds like they get away with it at your office more so than other work locations.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,611 times
I'd do one of two things:
1) Reply back with a request equally or even crazier then what was submitted, such as
"Sure I'll contribute if you submit a donation to my keg party Friday night"

2) Reply back " Sorry but I'm saving to build a pool in my back yard. Also, please remove me from future correspondences not work related"

Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM

19,591 posts, read 9,591,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I agree with you 100%. Apparently these days (at least in Florida) schools send students out to sell everything possible. There are always "catalogs" in the kitchen area for wrapping paper, household knicknacks, candy, cakes, popcorn, etc. and these are only the student sales. Then we also have the Girl Scout cookies, Pampered Chef, etc. Since these are friends' and coworkers' kids who are selling all the wares, you feel like a grinch if you do not buy anything. I also find it incredible that schools can't afford supplies without sending kids out to sell stuff--it's kind of offensive and reflects our society's disinterest in investing in education. Public schools should have enough funds to operate (we do pay taxes for schools) without turning schoolkids into shills.

I don't experience this too much - people coming to ring doorbell and asking but when I go out to the stores... seems everyone is in some kind of racket or another. School kids in front of Walmart selling whatever. Had one lady walking up to me while shopping in store to sell something similar to the Pampered Chef, Girl Scouts selling cookies - Boy Scouts selling popcorn, raffle tickets for church baskets, etc., ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment