Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

For those of you that are looking, read this report.

I've been on my gig for 1 year now but I do want to relocate now and I'm going to use LI and Twit for my search this time around. I've used LI for other business related projects and it's very effective.

Using LinkedIn and Twitter to Find A Job.

A word of warning: You Are What You Think About.

that being said, if you have nothing but doubts and negitivity in your mind than you are just that-a nergitive and doubtful person. Spare your remarks about the posted info.

Keep doing the same stuff and you'll keep getting the same results. Instead of crying about the economy, concerned about running out of UE benefits and following unemployment numbers, do something about your situation. Most of you will: make excuses and do nothing about your situation. Why? Because it take work and effort. You have to crawl from out of your comfort zone.

LI has over 120 million professionals on the website. That's where everyone is now. It's the facebook of networking.

Before anyone says it, NO you do not need a paid account to contact people. The way you do it is, you join the user groups. Once you're accepted, you than have access to contact the group members at no cost.

Also, be sure to join 15-20 groups for your desired industries.

This is coming from a very expereinced LI user. Don't spam begging for a job. take this very serious and you'll will get replies. You will.

I've sold servies to people via LI, so I know what I'm talking about.

Folks bottom line, if you're not using social media for your job search you're living in 1997. The days of mass submiting resumes are OVER!

It's all about relationships. Don't think for one minute that its only for those of us with degrees, it's not. It doesn't matter what you want to do, a recruiter is on LI looking for YOU.

Stop with the crybaby excuses and take care of business.

You're a busines, it's up to you to increase the value of the business. You own your career.

If you have any questions about anything, ask in this thread. I know how to use LI very well.

Ron

Last edited by Ron.; 12-02-2011 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
To be fair, a job I currently have an offer for and an upcoming interview all originated via LinkedIn.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:16 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
To be fair, a job I currently have an offer for and an upcoming interview all originated via LinkedIn.
good for you, that's the whole point of this thread. To show people that LI is powerful and it works.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
good for you, that's the whole point of this thread. To show people that LI is powerful and it works.

Good luck.

Thanks-- I am dithering. There are a lot of pros for my present company, but a lot of cons too.

The offer is a very good one and fair. Just need to do some further analysis.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

Good luck.
LinkedIn can work. It was a tool that helped me in my last job search. But it works best if you use at as on on-going networking tool to help you build and maintain relationships. It is likely going to be less useful to someone who is unemployed and then decides to open a LinkedIn account and start trying to contact old colleagues out of the blue.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Isn't Linkedin charging a fee for an account upgrade?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Isn't Linkedin charging a fee for an account upgrade?
You did not read what he posted.

Yes to upgrade there is a fee, but you do not need to upgrade. If you join a particular group you have access to contact those members for free.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
You did not read what he posted.

Yes to upgrade there is a fee, but you do not need to upgrade. If you join a particular group you have access to contact those members for free.
But if someone was to upgrade what changes on the site?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:02 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times
I just joined Linkedin, but I don't know anyone on the site. So I just join user groups in fields I want to work?

Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I just joined Linkedin, but I don't know anyone on the site. So I just join user groups in fields I want to work?
You can do a search for names of people you know (current/former colleagues, people you've volunteered with, professional associates and so on), and send them a request to connect. Also, if you don't find anyone you know already on LinkedIn, you can send a request to people you know both suggesting that they join and that they connect with you as part of your network. That's how I joined, in fact; a colleague on a volunteer committee sent me a connection request.

I will say that it seems to me that people who are either sole proprietors or who own a small business are the biggest users of LinkedIn. I see people from all walks of life and all business models, but the people who are most active and have the most connections are usually those who are using LinkedIn as part of their marketing strategy to connect with new customers or clients.

At the same time, I've connected with a lot of current and former co-workers through LinkedIn, including a number who work for major corporations. I think it can be a useful thing to be able to get the word out to a wide and disparate group of folks who know you that you're on the lookout for new opportunities, because you never know when one of your connections might tell you about a great opening at their current employer.

As far as using LinkedIn specifically as a job-hunting tool, I didn't find it particularly useful in my last job search, but that may be due to my field rather than to the site itself. I think it certainly has potential, and I've suggested it to people that I know are job-hunting, but it wasn't really relevant in my search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search