Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,716 times

Advertisements

I've been at my job for 5 months (since July 2011) and I'm itching for a raise! I took this job because at the time I was unemployed and decided to accept the same salary I've been making for the past 3 years. I've been working my ass off, and they know I've been performing well. It just kills me that I haven't upped my salary for so long. Kind of a morale killer.

I feel like a new year is a good time to ask for one. Is that too soon? Should I just tough it out for a full year first? I'm kinda pissed I haven't received a Christmas bonus yet either. After all the hours I put in and impossible deadlines I've overcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,704 times
We all think we are incredibly valuable. Reality? A lot really depends on how easily you could be replaced. I'd wait for a one year evaluation. That's what I'd expect from one of our employees.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,299 times
Tell your boss what you do and how much it impacts the bottom line. If you can't quantify then you don't qualify :P

Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,548,933 times
Five months is too soon. Just keep working hard and wait until your first performance evaluation. If you get a good/excellent evaluation, ask for the raise that point.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
I agree that it's too soon. Unless this happens to be the annual review time when everyone is getting a raise and it was discussed when you were hired that you could be eligible for a raise at this time, it's too soon.

Even if you do decide to ask for a raise, you should be aware that you'll likely be 'robbing peter to pay paul' as the saying goes. That is, if you ask for a raise now and show them the value you bring, you may convince them to give you a raise. But a few months down the road, when the company is considering raises for everyone, they'll say to you 'but we just gave you one' and you'll get nothing. So at best you're merely changing the schedule a bit.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,847,430 times
Don't bother. It will just make your boss mad.

If you want a raise, you will have to find a better paying job. That will be your raise.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,691 times
I've never heard of one expecting a raise within five month's time unless he/she was specifically promised one within that timeframe at hiring. One year is the rule and asking beforehand will scream "unprofessional" and make you look like an ass when other subordinates -- your peers -- have not asked for a thing. Even after a year, in this economy, many people are not receiving raises.

If you want to make more asap, you'll need to start over and find a higher paying job.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,427,685 times
Honestly, I have never asked for a raise before.
I was always in the service industry and raises and promotion offers came before I even thought to ask for them.

Now i'm doing something so different and the company I work for is partly State funded.
The cows will come home I think before get a raise offer..

I have no clue how to ask someone for a raise, I do feel confident of a minor promotion in the future though.

Honestly, I think for me anyway the thought of asking would be a bit nerve wracking..
But then again I have always though about stuff too much

Old 12-17-2011, 08:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
We have the possibility of a raise after 6 months, then at one year, and every anniversary date of hire after that. They are performance based
so the amount, if any, is up to the supervisor up to a maximum defined in the budget. I can't say I ever heard of anyone at any job getting a raise in less than 6 months. Seems like you should have been told or asked about their policy on raises when you were hired. We do that at the new employee orientation the first day.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:36 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I've been at my job for 5 months (since July 2011) and I'm itching for a raise! I took this job because at the time I was unemployed and decided to accept the same salary I've been making for the past 3 years. I've been working my ass off, and they know I've been performing well. It just kills me that I haven't upped my salary for so long. Kind of a morale killer.

I feel like a new year is a good time to ask for one. Is that too soon? Should I just tough it out for a full year first? I'm kinda pissed I haven't received a Christmas bonus yet either. After all the hours I put in and impossible deadlines I've overcome.
Go ahead and ask for it so you can be fired and home for the holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment