Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 10:32 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times

Advertisements

have a job offer at brother in laws accounting firm in ny. its a small tax/accounting practice on eastern long island and i am a recent accounting grad but older career changer. I certainly cant afford to live there nor do i really want to but i have no job prospects in florida. if i go i need to stay for a number of years to show job stability as my work history is currently awful. going to be tough to turn down a job and remain unemployed but maybe i can find something in florida in early 2012. i guess at some point u just need to work? would u move anywhere regardless of circumstance for a job?

Last edited by JSnFla; 12-19-2011 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:02 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,424,223 times
In a word, yes. If your job history is not the greatest, you need to set yourself up for your next move. Your life is not a practice inning, and it sounds like you're currently only marking time. You are lucky you have the opportunity, and foolish to quibble, IMHO. Best to you - and whatever you do, do it like the boats have been burned and there's no going back.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:40 AM

11 posts, read 19,467 times
I agree. You need to take this opportunity.

I was offered a great job in DC back in 2008, but my family was living in St. Louis at the time. I thought, you know, DC is so much more expensive... My kid's already in school... Maybe I should just make do on my job here...

Well, three years later, I was laid-off from my job in St. Louis and hired at another one for less money with an even worse commute. My rent at our ripoff townhouse went up from $950 to 1250 in two years. Turned out my kid didn't even like the local elementary school.

We ended up moving to DC in the end. I would so much better off careerwise today if I'd taken that opportunity, but now I'm starting at the rock bottom once again.

In this economy, you can't afford to miss out on an opportunity like that.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I agree with everyone else. This is a great opportunity being handed to you on a platter. That doesn't happen much these days. Take it!

I get the COL difference. I would be asking the relatives if anyone has a room or a basement to rent for cheap!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:14 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
have a job offer at brother in laws accounting firm in ny. its a small tax/accounting practice on eastern long island and i am a recent accounting grad but older career changer. I certainly cant afford to live there nor do i really want to but i have no job prospects in florida. if i go i need to stay for a number of years to show job stability as my work history is currently awful. going to be tough to turn down a job and remain unemployed but maybe i can find something in florida in early 2012. i guess at some point u just need to work? would u move anywhere regardless of circumstance for a job?
I'm facing this issue. I live in Louisville paying $400 for a 1 bed apt and I'm applying for post college work (graduating college in May) in the DC area where I lived two years ago and know how expensive it is. I'm facing a layoff at my current job eventually and not really gonna miss Louisville that much. I had spent half of 2010 unemployed and underemployed and trying to prevent that.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Reality check, jobs are hard to get, anywhere these days, let alone what you want, where you want. Take what you can get. Then, save money, apply for a job where you want to live, see what happens.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
Go wherever the job is.

Given the state of the economy and your problematic work history, there's no telling when you might get another offer. You cannot afford to pass this up.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:05 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
Years ago, a relative kept trying to get us to move closer to her, where pay was much lower, citing the cheaper "COL". As I told her then, "COL" only affects groceries, gas and rent. My credit cards and car payments weren't going lower, nor would my car insurance (UP, in fact), and a 25% paycut and 15% off my rent didn't add up.

Maybe COL is more expensive, but will it really be? You may not be able to afford to buy right now, but can you buy right now where you're at unemployed?

Old 12-21-2011, 04:50 PM

475 posts, read 1,371,105 times
It sounds like someone is trying to do you a favor and they are family, so it is not as easy as just moving. First, where would you stay? Do you get a couch or going to go in debt just trying to share an apartment in Queens with a stranger? Are they going to pay you at least entry level or are they going to use the "favor" as an excuse to lowball it? I'm assuming you already know that answer since you said you can't afford it, which means, you can't afford it on what this guy will pay you. But then if you say no and take a risk and stay where you are, family will know and have perfect hindsight, like the above posters and say, well JsNFla, you should have taken this offer!!

But only you know how much time you have. 3 months, not that great. 6 months is better but still what's the plan if you don't go? Your sister will probably be asking you. There seems to be a lot more to this than just "go where the job is" and really should be thought through.

Last edited by peet111; 12-21-2011 at 04:59 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 10:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Yes I would.

Counting on unemployment for the rest of my life would not be an option I would consider. I would hope I always have options to live where I'd like to live and where the cost of living is what I like, but I would want to work.

Also you can usually find something to like about anywhere you live, at least until you can relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment