Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Should I Do?
Stay at Job 19 35.19%
Quit and Travel 35 64.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Add: I just looked and didn't see any indication of how much or if the OP has traveled before. Does he want to backpack around in hostels and ride the local bus at night to sleep somewhere? Is he thinking of developed countries (Australia, Europe) or the unknown back ways of poor countries? Has he done either and liked it?
If going the developed countries idea (capitals of Europe, etc.) it's no cheap thing. OP hasn't said what the idea of "travel" really involves. Hiking? Urban European culture? Landscapes? Staying in village with local people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 10:08 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That does it! I want to go too!

OP, one of my biggest regrets in life is that I didn't travel the world before settling down to have a family and work the rat race.

I didn't even realize it was something I wanted to do until it was too late.

I think you'll regret it more than me since it's something you know you want to do.
It's not too late! You can do it with kids and it's more rewarding than you'd think. The kids get quite an education and the family bonding opportunities are quite valuable. You just have to make sure that everyone's voice gets heard and that you don't go too overboard on strictly kid or adult activities--you have to mix it up to keep from getting bored and really, this keeps everyone from getting bored--how many of you travelers have done the ABC tour--ABC means "another bloody cathedral," lol. It means homeschooling on the road, which isn't as bad as it sounds, since they are learning so much from traveling and talking to people and reading books while waiting for planes, trains, and automobiles. You could take worksheets, but I swear it's not necessary. It is kind of fun to do geometric constructions while on a greek ferry, using the Pythagorean theorem. Really, I swear. And imagine taking the family out to the beach in the middle of the night in Bundaberg Australia to watch mama turtles lay their eggs on the beach--this is after a lengthy educational session, which is interesting in its own right. And while you're touring the temples in Thailand, it would be silly for you all to not learn about Buddhism, right?

Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When I did "crazy" things in the name of living life fully (didn't have a cube farm life to deal with, but did once tank a fantastic job at PBS), people all said "Go for it." I have noticed that a lot of people who say "Go for it" are often those who wouldn't dream of doing so, and hope to see someone else act out their unrealized dreams. They are not there if things go 'thud' and you see what "go for it" can mean- that taking a risk can mean genuinely failing in some way, and it can cost yo big-time, no matter what stage of life you are in.
I again say that I don't see three months as a life-changing event or a reason to blow up a stable life. It's just not long enough for the risk, especially in the current economy. Now, if OP was talking about a longer period of time, more open-ended, with a vague hope of making a new kind of life along the way, sure (and the risk might equal the change). But for a three-month stop-out? I don't think those of us who think that's not worth it are all cube farmers to the core. In fact, I'd say that three months isn't enough to be going for it.
Also, to those who seem to think OP will inevitably be "tied down" with wife and kids, maybe he'll meet someone who wants to life the same kind of adventure, maybe someone who doesn't have or want kids, maybe someone who might want to "settle down" way into the future.
I think "now or never" thinking can be counter-productive. "If I don't do it now, I'll never do it," is only true if that's how you want it to be. You can always make a life change (again, not a three-month stop-out) and meeting up with parents in Australia seems like a weak reason to do it now or never. There is no never unless you want there to be. (Been there, done that).
I have known people who have done this during a worse recession than this and their lives weren't destroyed. Another example not mentioned is I know a couple who quit their corporate jobs and backpacked throughout the United States in the early 80s. While they were out there, they decided they didn't want the corporate life. When they returned, they got student loans and both went for masters degrees and teacher certifications. They've been earning darn good money as teachers (close to 100k each) and have summers off to travel.

You do make excellent points. After my first post in this thread, I forgot the OP said it was for only 3 months. I also agree that meeting the parents in Australia is a weak reason. He can do that with his weekly vacations. It really would be more pressing if he were setting out to find himself or contemplate another career.

I'm not one of those people who are encouraging but would never go for it. I'm a risk taker. It was simply something that never occurred to me until later. I fully supported my son taking a break in college to go off to be a ski instructor. You only live once. His life won't be ruined. He can pick right back up where he left off. I believe life is meant to be lived and for a few years I had forgotten that about myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
It's not too late! You can do it with kids and it's more rewarding than you'd think. The kids get quite an education and the family bonding opportunities are quite valuable. You just have to make sure that everyone's voice gets heard and that you don't go too overboard on strictly kid or adult activities--you have to mix it up to keep from getting bored and really, this keeps everyone from getting bored--how many of you travelers have done the ABC tour--ABC means "another bloody cathedral," lol. It means homeschooling on the road, which isn't as bad as it sounds, since they are learning so much from traveling and talking to people and reading books while waiting for planes, trains, and automobiles. You could take worksheets, but I swear it's not necessary. It is kind of fun to do geometric constructions while on a greek ferry, using the Pythagorean theorem. Really, I swear. And imagine taking the family out to the beach in the middle of the night in Bundaberg Australia to watch mama turtles lay their eggs on the beach--this is after a lengthy educational session, which is interesting in its own right. And while you're touring the temples in Thailand, it would be silly for you all to not learn about Buddhism, right?
My children are adults now. We traveled all the time. For most of their lives, we took four vacations a year, except for the past few years after hubby started a new career that was very time consuming and our old dog became too old to be put in a kennel.

Since our son will be able to watch the dog for us this summer, we're hoping to go on a nice long vacation. It's the first time in our lives we both will have months free to do something like this.

I didn't miss out on travel, I missed out on going out there into the world without a plan, to be aimless, to not have a schedule, etc. That's what I loved about your posts! We're finally heading into a place in our life where we can be nomads for extended periods of time and make that happen. Just hope our health holds up.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:03 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I again say that I don't see three months as a life-changing event or a reason to blow up a stable life. It's just not long enough for the risk, especially in the current economy. Now, if OP was talking about a longer period of time, more open-ended, with a vague hope of making a new kind of life along the way, sure (and the risk might equal the change). But for a three-month stop-out?
I do agree with this--that's why I'm trying to talk him into a year--you can see so much more in a year and fit in things that you can't otherwise and it's just not worth the money or trouble to go to Oz for less than 3 months--in my opinion of course.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 AM

88 posts, read 159,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I do agree with this--that's why I'm trying to talk him into a year--you can see so much more in a year and fit in things that you can't otherwise and it's just not worth the money or trouble to go to Oz for less than 3 months--in my opinion of course.

I believe an article on Bootsnall (or one of those travel websites) I ran across a while back said the same thing...that going for longer (say, a year) would be better than three months. I think it's largely about the psychological shift one has to make, there are real-time factors to consider, but... the mental shift makes considerable difference. This isn't the best analogy, but it's kind of like having children I think there is information out there that makes the case (pretty convincingly) that having children can be one of the worst financial decisions one can make, but people who want children don't typically think of it in terms of the financial risk/loss...rather, the intangible rewards that come with raising a family....so it is with travel, I think. You make the decision as best you can, and take steps to mitigate the financial risk, but that feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment you can gain from it is not something you can buy. So, you make the decision accordingly.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:32 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coder80 View Post
Hi, 30 year-old here working as a Senior Software Engineer. I make mid-$70k, 4 weeks vacation per year, pension, good benefits, etc. I have no debt and rent an apartment. Two master's degrees, five years experience. I'm thinking of leaving my job and traveling for approximately three months, taking an additional 1-2 months off to improve in areas where I believe I'm lacking in my field, and then re-entering (or attempting to re-enter) the job market. Note that in doing so, I would lose the pension because I haven't worked at the company for five years. Am I crazy for thinking of doing something like this? I have enough money saved to support this trip and for approximately six months of living expenses after. I'm just trying to get some unbiased opinions on this.

Thanks
My vote is to travel the world...you're only 30! Have FUN and take TONS of pictures with a good full frame camera and an awesome L glass lens from Canon.

I am sure with your experience so far, you may find another job later...or may find a better job overseas you never know! The world is really beautiful, so you should not miss out on it.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:53 AM

706 posts, read 1,309,098 times
Most people in this thread are nay-sayers. Lots of excuses how this person is irresponsible. It is sad and depressing. Man, my mother died at a young age, you never know when your time is up.

Do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment