Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:14 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,911,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
I currently work retail and had a load of crazy mean people during the holiday rush.

One woman was beyond irritated that she had to wait in a line. She started yelling about how she had to wait in line and how we opened more lines after she was at my register and blah blah blah. She was so irritated that she tried to throw my credit card machine (the little keypad attached to the register) at me. The funny thing was, there wasn't even that many lines at the time. I really wanted to tell her that she needed to seriously re-evaluate her priorities since there was no reason to be that irate for waiting an extra ten minutes tops. Those kind of customers make me appreciate my own decency towards other people I share the earth with.

I've had a handful of customers like her, one even ten times worse. Then I had one customer who was just dumb. While she was waiting, she stuck her unwanted items in crazy places like a shirt and slippers on top of the candy rack. I usually don't like when people hand me a ton of things they decided that they didn't want, but discarding things right in front of me is not too swift. Her only currency was charity gift cards and after the gift cards, she was $110 short, so she didn't count anything ahead of time.

"Well, now I guess I'll put stuff back." So then I had to void the eight gift cards I had already scanned and start voiding items. She also didn't keep track so she had no idea how much she needed to put back after I voided a few items. Instead of putting back expensive items, she decided to give me milk and eggs and other perishables to put back, things she could actually use, but would probably buy later with her food stamps.
I see people leave merchandise all over the place too. Some of them I've actually said something to like "Please give that to me and I'll see that it gets put where it belongs".

I had a lady the other day who had a $250 purchase. She used her food stamp card which only had $168 on it. That's no big deal because most just use a debit/credit card or cash for the remainder. This lady had none of those things so we had to to start voiding things. By the time I was done I had half a basket full of things and, yes, it was the meat/produce/perishable/frozen things she put back. And then she decides she doesn't want ANY of it and insisted that I put her $168 back on her card. I had NO idea how I could do that but since the transaction was never actually completed I wasn't sure it had even been taken off. Finally had to get a CSM to take over. You would think that people would know how much they have left on their card before they start. Because of this woman I actually had a customer yell at ME and that was first for me. She was ticked because it was taking so long. Not MY fault!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 02:04 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotwhoyouthinkiam View Post
so there's been a lot of stories so far... and I think I only laughed at one..

Please post some good ones!
Geez... first people think we're making stuff up to get laughs... and now you want MORE laughs?

After 15 years at the bank and finally getting fed up... I went to work for five years in a funeral home.... Actually saw a brother walk up to the casket and punch his deceased brother right in the kisser? Is that more what you had in mind? Try handling that in a polite and customer service style manner...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:05 PM

38,906 posts, read 22,900,003 times
I really have to hand it to those of you who deal with the public, especially in retail, restaurants and the airlines. You really do meet all kinds!

I used to work in insurance claims talking to mostly irate people on the phone. After that job, I made sure I worked where I didn't have to deal with the public.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM

593 posts, read 1,412,064 times
This isn't my story, but is a friend's story that he told me from working on Christmas.

He works as a hotel desk clerk at a fairly large hotel and a lady called down to the front desk on Christmas and asked if he could send 1 of the Christmas trees from the lobby up to her room. She asked this as if it was no big deal! So he told her that those were the HOTEL'S decorations and that he could NOT send one up to her room (not to mention it probably wouldn't have even fit in the elevator). She became irate and said well what were they supposed to do, they had presents to open and no tree!?!? So he suggested that she go to a Christmas tree lot and purchase a tree. She was so angry she hung up on him!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM

399 posts, read 855,143 times
People are mean to the clerks in the stores because they know that the clerks at the register or on the floor cannot say anything for fear of losing their job. It's the same on the phone. Most of the people complaining are so miserable to themselves and they probably need a box to stand on to reach the phone. It makes them big shots like driving a car which does the same thing to them. You would like to find out where they work and show up there. Maybe then they would learn. I am always nice to any customer service person or cashier, clerk etc.. I do business with on the phone or in person. You get a lot more that way.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I really have to hand it to those of you who deal with the public, especially in retail, restaurants and the airlines. You really do meet all kinds!

I used to work in insurance claims talking to mostly irate people on the phone. After that job, I made sure I worked where I didn't have to deal with the public.
I worked in restaurants and the front desk of hotels for over 30 years. There's not much about people that surprises me anymore and it was great training for working in retail. You either learn to deal with it, laugh it off, ignore it or pop someone in the nose! lol One thing for sure, you don't need to study psychology to learn about people if you work with the public very long. There are good ones, bad ones, terrific ones and really gross ones but they are all human beings. Remember...rich people are 'eccentric' the rest of us are 'crazy' but it TAKES all kinds!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Geez... first people think we're making stuff up to get laughs... and now you want MORE laughs?

After 15 years at the bank and finally getting fed up... I went to work for five years in a funeral home.... Actually saw a brother walk up to the casket and punch his deceased brother right in the kisser? Is that more what you had in mind? Try handling that in a polite and customer service style manner...
Whoa!! Not much shocks me anymore but that might!!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
This isn't my story, but is a friend's story that he told me from working on Christmas.

He works as a hotel desk clerk at a fairly large hotel and a lady called down to the front desk on Christmas and asked if he could send 1 of the Christmas trees from the lobby up to her room. She asked this as if it was no big deal! So he told her that those were the HOTEL'S decorations and that he could NOT send one up to her room (not to mention it probably wouldn't have even fit in the elevator). She became irate and said well what were they supposed to do, they had presents to open and no tree!?!? So he suggested that she go to a Christmas tree lot and purchase a tree. She was so angry she hung up on him!
He should have told her to go to Walmart and get one of those little prelit trees. lol

Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 PM

38,906 posts, read 22,900,003 times
True story from a friend of mine who worked the returns desk at a now-defunct FedMart discount department store in Houston, TX when he was going to college. He told me the story of a lady who returned a box of tampons because "they didn't work." I can't remember what my friend did to resolve her issue (exchange or refund).

Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
I liked the foot fetish guy who somehow always knew when we had a new employee in a particular department. He'd always make the same phone call and ask for the department the new girl was working in.

"Hi, do you carry shower shoes, the flip flop kind?"
"Yes, we do."
"Would you look and see if you have a mens size eight?"
"Yes, we do."
"Would you bring a pair to the phone with you and describe how they're made?'
"Uhhhh, okay I guess."
"Are they made of rubber?"
"I think so."
"What color are they?"
"Black"
"Do they have that little piece that goes between your toes?"
"Yes"
"Would you slip one on and tell me how it feels?"

Once we caught on we alerted the new girls and occasionally we'd have a little fun with the guy.
"Oh! It feels n-i-i-i-i-ce, Mmmmm."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment