Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 PM

281 posts, read 713,270 times

Advertisements

I'm only now realizing this is more of a philosophical question and that I had a similar sort of dilemma when I was hired five years ago. I was offered a job teaching at what is considered the best school in the area but turned it down to take a lower paying position in the lowest performing, highest poverty and most diverse school. I remember the looks I got from friends and family, and my own apprehension and doubt, thinking I must have made a huge mistake. But after getting to know the staff and students I work with, I have never questioned my decision. At the same time, this decision won't just effect me, but my wife and three kids. Lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
I think you need to distinguish between "shabby" and "dangerous". There is a correlation between poverty and crime but that's the extent of it. Correlation. Just because the neighborhood looks run down and it's residents aren't wealthy doesn't mean your safety is an issue. In fact, many upscale neighborhoods have worse crime--if you're going to burglar a house or mug someone, even pretty dumb criminals know they'll score better if they go to a richer neighborhood where people actually have something of value to take than trying to hit a poor neighborhood.

Instead of going by perception, contact your local police department for the crime stats in the neighborhood you are considering. And be sure to get a breakdown between violent crime and property crime.

Personally, I've chosen to live in a neighborhood that happens to be mixed-income and outside perception is that it is dangerous. In fact it has some of the lowest crime stats in my city. My commute time is 15 minutes, the neighborhood is quiet, and the amenities--parks, pools, restaurants, etc. aren't overcrowded as they would be in a 'nicer' neighborhood. And on top of that, I get to have more money in my pocket because the neighborhood isn't 'in demand' and housing costs are cheap.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:55 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
I would always choose the nicer area, especially for the children. I wouldn't want my family, or myself, exposed to any avoidable dangers.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
Thanks again for all the advice. Without getting into too many specifics, I will say that I'm very familiar and comfortable with the schools and the people who live there because I'm a teacher. But, at the risk of sounding like a snob, it's one thing to work someplace and another to live there.

I have been pouring over the local crime statistics and there's no question the area has issues. In fact (I probably shouldn't even admit this since it will be an automatic disqualification for most) but on our way back from looking at houses we saw a guy wearing a ski mask entering the local mini-mart (I called the police).

On the other hand, it's not like I'm talking about Detroit or Baltimore. And we will never be able to afford a house where we currently live. For example, the house we're looking at next to my work would cost about 150-200K more where we currently live, so I don't know . . .
Living a life on "what could happen" is a hollow way to live.

More than one crime ridden area has been cleaned up by stubborn good hearted people who decide that they don't want crime where they live.

It happens one day at a time and one family at a time.

All it takes is someone to show the others the way.......

Old 01-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Living a life on "what could happen" is a hollow way to live.

More than one crime ridden area has been cleaned up by stubborn good hearted people who decide that they don't want crime where they live.

It happens one day at a time and one family at a time.

All it takes is someone to show the others the way.......
It sounds like someplace, somewhere is benefiting from having Grandpa Pipes living in the neighborhood. Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-16-2012, 04:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
I would always choose the nicer area, especially for the children. I wouldn't want my family, or myself, exposed to any avoidable dangers.
As kodaka says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
... if you're going to burglar a house or mug someone, even pretty dumb criminals know they'll score better if they go to a richer neighborhood where people actually have something of value to take than trying to hit a poor neighborhood..
Really. I'm betting that the crime stats for home invasion, burglaries, child abduction, auto theft and much more are WAY lower in a less affluent, slightly "shabby" area than in its higher-income (read, "better") counterpart!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Really. I'm betting that the crime stats for home invasion, burglaries, child abduction, auto theft and much more are WAY lower in a less affluent, slightly "shabby" area than in its higher-income (read, "better") counterpart!
STT Resident,
I understand your point.

However, in the more affluent area, it isn't just a matter of safety. When you have children, you want them exposed to as many good things and have as many opportunities as possible. An affluent area is more likely to have better schools, a wider variety of activities, and people who will expose your children to great experiences and enhance their childhoods. I, like most people, would want my kids to have the best life I can possibly give them.

A 45 minute commute is a small sacrifrice to make to have this happen.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
STT Resident,
I understand your point.

However, in the more affluent area, it isn't just a matter of safety. When you have children, you want them exposed to as many good things and have as many opportunities as possible. An affluent area is more likely to have better schools, a wider variety of activities, and people who will expose your children to great experiences and enhance their childhoods. I, like most people, would want my kids to have the best life I can possibly give them.

A 45 minute commute is a small sacrifrice to make to have this happen.
You also should want your children to be exposed to reality and not shrouded in a fuzzy cloak of white picket fences and basketball hoops in every driveway. There's a balance to be made and there's no indication that that less affluent neighborhood the OP is interested in moving into equates to lesser anything.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM

These are all good points, and they're issues my wife and I have been discussing. In regards to opportunities, the house we're looking at is only a few blocks from a community center with indoor pool, large park with playground, elementary school, and public library. Where we currently live, all these places require a bus trip, and the pool costs much more. In fact, everything costs more here, from groceries to home improvement items. I also have to consider the cost of my absence every day. That's an extra hour and half I would be able to take my kids to practice or lessons or just to spend time with them. Like every parent, we care about our children's safety, but we also don't want to delude ourselves into thinking that we're safe simply because of our location.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
there's no indication that that less affluent neighborhood the OP is interested in moving into equates to lesser anything.
In the OP, he said that the less affluent neighborhood is considered "questionable," which, to me, sounds like a less desirable neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest View Post
the area around my work is considered a little shabby and questionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment