Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM

12,794 posts, read 15,059,271 times

Advertisements

I finally got hired & am working my dream job that I worked very hard in school for (& still am in school for it) & make about $3200 gross, but after almost $1000 in paycheck deductions, my take home pay's only about $2200!

Is there any way to cut down on the amt of deductions that I have being deducted from my paycheck? I never dreamed my take home pay would be that low!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
Take two dependant deductions on your paperwork in HR instead of one. You will get more money per month/week in your paycheck, but less on a tax return. You can take up to three and get even more, but then you could end up owing money to the gov't at the end of the year. Two is safe. You still have to file one on your taxes at the end of the year. It just depends on whether you want your money now or later.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,748,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I finally got hired & am working my dream job that I worked very hard in school for (& still am in school for it) & make about $3200 gross, but after almost $1000 in paycheck deductions, my take home pay's only about $2200!

Is there any way to cut down on the amt of deductions that I have being deducted from my paycheck? I never dreamed my take home pay would be that low!

I propose that NO deductions be taken from your paycheck for taxes and people should have to mail in their tax liability every quarter. Once people see how much government costs them they will quit asking for more.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,812,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I propose that NO deductions be taken from your paycheck for taxes and people should have to mail in their tax liability every quarter. Once people see how much government costs them they will quit asking for more.
Once people see what such a proposal would cost in additional government work ...

Thursday's solution was on the mark.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,210,759 times
Good advice above on the deductions, but really unless you tell us exactly what the deductions are for it is very hard to give a good answer.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,933,603 times
Probably a better question to ask is what else is being deducted? Taxes aren't the only thing that reduce your take-home pay. Too often, new hires do not ask specifics about health insurance plans and don't realize how widely they vary--I've known some people to pay as much for their health insurance premiums as they do in taxes. The cost can be substantial. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to reduce that cost after you've accepted the job offer.

Aside from that, how much are you contributing to your 401k and health savings account? Both are deducted pre-tax so they reduce the amount upon which your tax deductions are calculated. If you are single or married with no children, the best way to reduce your tax burden is to contribute the max to your 401k. Also, be sure to take advantage of the health savings account, at the next enrollment period, if you aren't already (don't over contribute).

If the rest of your deductions cannot be improved, I would strenuously advise you to take the time to calculate your particular tax burden before you change your exemptions. It's not really that hard. You can look at this year's tax tables here. And do a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation of what you will owe or be refunded based on your current exemptions and withholding here

It's certainly possible that you can increase your deductions without ending up owing at the end of the year. But it would be unfortunate to to increase your exemptions only to find out that you didn't pay enough in each paycheck to cover your bill at year's end. Remember, each exemption is only worth $3700 a year. Increasing your deductions by 2 as Thursday007 says would only increase your paycheck by $300 (assuming you are paid bi-weekly). That's not much to benefit from if you end up with a huge bill in April.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,228,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Probably a better question to ask is what else is being deducted? Taxes aren't the only thing that reduce your take-home pay. Too often, new hires do not ask specifics about health insurance plans and don't realize how widely they vary--I've known some people to pay as much for their health insurance premiums as they do in taxes. The cost can be substantial. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to reduce that cost after you've accepted the job offer.

Aside from that, how much are you contributing to your 401k and health savings account? Both are deducted pre-tax so they reduce the amount upon which your tax deductions are calculated. If you are single or married with no children, the best way to reduce your tax burden is to contribute the max to your 401k. Also, be sure to take advantage of the health savings account, at the next enrollment period, if you aren't already (don't over contribute).

If the rest of your deductions cannot be improved, I would strenuously advise you to take the time to calculate your particular tax burden before you change your exemptions. It's not really that hard. You can look at this year's tax tables here. And do a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation of what you will owe or be refunded based on your current exemptions and withholding here

It's certainly possible that you can increase your deductions without ending up owing at the end of the year. But it would be unfortunate to to increase your exemptions only to find out that you didn't pay enough in each paycheck to cover your bill at year's end. Remember, each exemption is only worth $3700 a year. Increasing your deductions by 2 as Thursday007 says would only increase your paycheck by $300 (assuming you are paid bi-weekly). That's not much to benefit from if you end up with a huge bill in April.
Increasing exemptions works particularly well with people who are property owners and personal business expenses and can itemize over their standard deductions. I always took 2 exemptions. One year the Controller did 3 and wasn't suppose to and I ended up with an I owe you $3000, however, I did itemize my taxes and ended up with a refund anyway. It's why I suggest to not go over 2.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:13 AM

12,794 posts, read 15,059,271 times
I get paid only 1x/month & I'm trying to rent a nice apt in the high cost of living that my city is & no, moving to another city/state is out of the question. The rent's a good $1300+/month, but even with regular basic bills & zero debt, zero credit cards to pay on, etc., my grand total is about $2000/mo in rent & bills, so as you can see w/ me taking home $2200/2300, I'll only have a couple hundred or so left over every month & that's cutting it way too close. I didn't even count fun spending such as shopping or travelling.

kodaka, thank you for the two links. I'll look at those. I'm aware about my health insurance plan & what's taken out for that. The taxes are the main bulk of it for me being taken out. I work for a school district (but not technically a teacher), & there's $100/mo being taken out for this union thing that's mandatory that I don't give a hoot about, but they're taking it out!

Anyone else have any comments/ideas? Anyone have any ways to cut down on the basic bills? I DO want my internet, cable TV, & cell phone. That's about the only extras I want/need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Take two dependant deductions on your paperwork in HR instead of one. You will get more money per month/week in your paycheck, but less on a tax return. You can take up to three and get even more, but then you could end up owing money to the gov't at the end of the year. Two is safe. You still have to file one on your taxes at the end of the year. It just depends on whether you want your money now or later.
Yes, I've heard about this & my tax preparer even said to put "2" on my W4 form. My mom said to alternate & turn in the W4 form w/ "1" on it for 1/2 the year, then "2" the other 1/2 of the year, so I hopefully won't owe when it comes to be tax time. I've never put "2" yet. I'm a tad worried that I'll get caught & in trouble, but I guess I could try it for a few months.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-25-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,210,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Anyone else have any comments/ideas? Anyone have any ways to cut down on the basic bills? I DO want my internet, cable TV, & cell phone. That's about the only extras I want/need.
There is a frugal living forum here on CD. There are tons of ideas about how to live cheaply.

//www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/

You may also want to post on the personal finance forum about tax issues.

//www.city-data.com/forum/personal-finance/

Old 01-25-2012, 08:59 AM

16,375 posts, read 22,536,474 times
Consider a part time job on weekends or evenings to get more income. Not sure if have time for that if you are still in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment