Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 AM

11 posts, read 124,002 times

Advertisements

I started a new job two weeks ago on the first day of a new pay period (the biggest reason I started on a Thursday). I was told that I would receive my first paycheck today. I didn't due my paper work not being processed on time. I was told that hopefully I would be paid in the next paycheck and that it may be for only two weeks. Is this legal? I have never worked for a large organization before. I work in nyc if this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
I've had paycheck delays before, but never more than a day or two until they cut me a check.

I wouldn't wait 2 more weeks... without at least making my opinion known.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:29 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Could it be that you were given incorrect info? I used to get paid every 2 weeks, but the check wasn't for the pay period that just ended, it was for the one that ended 2 weeks ago. So it took 2 weeks of working, then 2 weeks of waiting for the first check. Is that the problem?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 AM

224 posts, read 546,135 times
I know my husband has had that happen.

They didn't get him 'in the system' in time, so they said he would be one check behind and get an extra one at the end of employment.

Sorry you have to go through this!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Unfortunately, this also happens frequently with new hires where I work. But we always offer them the option of having us cut a check for a percentage of what they earned (to approximate their net pay after taxes) out of petty cash and then have them sign a promissory note. When the actual paycheck is issued, they then pay back the advance. Maybe your employer could do something similar?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,075,469 times
It most cases you will not get your first paycheck until the second pay period, whatever that may be.
How can they pay you for the week(s) you just worked? It takes time to do the paperwork.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
The only people who could be paid current to date are the fully exempt. As others mentioned, hourly requires processing time, and its not possible to pay to date.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:19 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The only people who could be paid current to date are the fully exempt. As others mentioned, hourly requires processing time, and its not possible to pay to date.
^This! Otherwise, you are paid in arrears, sometimes a week back, sometimes two, sometimes 15 days, depending on the company's policy. When you are paid hourly, payroll has to validate actual hours worked and then gets sent for processing. Exempt people can be paid in real time (or even forward into the weekend depending on check issuance cut offs) because they are not docked for absences. Vacations and other absences may be reclassified into a separate wage line and reflected in the next pay period without affecting the net salary paid.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
I am not an expert in payroll issues by any means, but I don't think some of the statements being made here are totally accurate. My son is a truck driver and is paid by the hour; his pay period ends on a Wednesday and he is paid on the first Friday after that Wednesday for the hours he works that week. Two days later - no week in the hole - no delay. It appears that Beckyfan25's employer told him or her that their first pay period would be today, so how can someone who doesn't work there and is going by their own experience question that? With computerized payroll systems it does not take time to enter the data and have the check issued - it's instantaneous. You punch the clock and the information is entered. The calculations are done by the computer and all the payroll person does is print and distribute the check - or with direct deposit - not even that. It may take time to enter the employee's information into the payroll system when they are first hired and that could cause a delay in the first check, but after that it's pretty much automatic.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:54 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Oh... got confused with the post. For sure, if the OP just worked the week they most definitely will be holding back a week (or two weeks in this case) on the paycheck. Every place I've ever worked paid weekly, and if I worked M-F, I got paid the following Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment