Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the below scenario normal?
Totally standard 27 81.82%
A little weird, but not too bad 5 15.15%
Strange, there must have been more to it 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:38 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times

Advertisements

Hi guys.....

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but this was the first time I resigned from a company. I'll make a long story short, and add a poll, because polls are fun.

I worked at a company for the last 5 years, first job out of college, and recently accepted a position at a competitor for more pay, better benefits, better work/life balance (sorry for the buzz word) etc. So I drafted a letter of resignation and gave it to my manager with my last day being 2 weeks from then. The meeting went smoothly, and she asked where I was going to be working and I said I would rather not say (which I know is my right).

The next day, 4:30 rolls around and the two big managers come in my office and close the door. They say that they heard rumors that i was going to work for a competitor and thought it would be best if yesterday was my last day, BUT they said they would still pay me for the next two weeks.... Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with the arrangement I just thought it was a bit odd as I was in good standing with everyone as an employee.

So, CD, is this standard procedure? Did I do something wrong by not disclosing where I was going and allowing them to hear it via a "rumor?"

Again, I'm def not complaining, just more curious if this is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
It is standard for certain positions that might open up the possibility of you taking information to your competitor. Many IT positions are subject to this. It is up to the department or company's discretion how long to allow you to be physically present at your workstation and still reflect your termination date at the end of the two week period. Usually, they will turn off your access to your company's servers immediately, disable your e-mail, remove you from the corporate directory, etc. etc. I wouldn't really take it as something personal.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM

802 posts, read 2,265,405 times
Yes, that often happens when you make it known that you are going to a competitor or if they think that you are going to a competitor.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 AM

Interesting, I do know that I had about 5 of my coworkers who are also unhappy talk to me about where I was going, if they were hiring, what they pay etc, so I figured they were worried about me basically selling the other company. I just thought it was funny as those employees can still use the internet, at work, to find the same info.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
It's standard. You're lucky they paid you for the two weeks.

You didn't tell your boss where you were going, but you told your coworkers.

They might have been more comfortable keeping you around if you had been open about where you were going.

That might have made them a bit paranoid, but you left on good terms so it's nothing to worry about.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's standard. You're lucky they paid you for the two weeks.

You didn't tell your boss where you were going, but you told your coworkers.

They might have been more comfortable keeping you around if you had been open about where you were going.

That might have made them a bit paranoid, but you left on good terms so it's nothing to worry about.
Yes, I feel like I did make a mistake by not playing my cards closer to the vest OR going the full disclosure route. I had made friends with a lot of my coworkers though and didn't think much of telling them where I was going. Lesson learned.

I like the two weeks pay, but the thing I was most worried about was if it would go down as a "firing" or a "resignation" for my future references. They assured me it was still going down as me resigning.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I like the two weeks pay, but the thing I was most worried about was if it would go down as a "firing" or a "resignation" for my future references. They assured me it was still going down as me resigning.
It's definitely going down as a resignation. You gave them a letter. And it's so common for people to be asked to leave sooner. Often times people are asked to leave immediately. What's amazing is you got to stick around for an extra day.

So now you know. Before you give your resignation, clear our your desk of your personal stuff ahead of time and take it home. That way you're not packing up while security or management is standing there watching you and your coworkers aren't watching you walk out with a box in hand.

They're always afraid employees will grab their client contact list, etc. It's silly really because someone can copy all that stuff before they turn in their notice.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,942 times
On a brighter note, congrats on the new job!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Yes it is quite common. I gave my two weeks notice and the following Friday my boss came into my office and said we need go up to the 26th floor.

He was very quiet in the elevator. Well we go into a conference room and a woman from HR is there, they inform me today is my last day. I was a little shaken up at first as I felt as I was being fired instead of quitting.

They took my cell phone, company credit card, and my parking structure card. Which with all that was going on left me no access to get out of the parking structure, so I had to go back in after saying my goodbyes to get someone to let me out.

They did pay me(under CA law they have to pay you when you resign in writing). What was funny I had ordered airline tickets through our travel dept as I was taking a week off before starting the new job.

The tickets weren't ready that Friday so I had to come back in on the following Monday, I saw a note attached to the tickets telling the receptionist to "ask for ID"....LOL. I had worked there 3 years. I asked the receptionist "do you need to see ID", she just rolled her eyes and we both laughed.

The good news was I got two weeks off instead of the one I planned on before starting the new job.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:00 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,814 times
How did you actually go about resigning? Did you hand deliver the letter to your boss, or send an email? I'm trying to figure out HOW to get the resignation letter to my boss. What makes it more difficult is that my boss is not in my office but another one across town. He also has a busy schedule and is hardly ever just sitting in his office. Should I send an email setting up a meeting and then deliver the letter in person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment