Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times

Advertisements

I am no talking about the usual things like wardrobe,hairstyles,and hygeine.

I'm talking about missing front teeth,a balding man,and other things beyond a persons control. I am going to include someone with an annoying voice.

I think my voice can come across as annoying,but I cant change it. I can't talk loud,and it sounds kinda "raspy" like a smokers voice but I don't smoke.
I also know someone who thinks they don't get call backs after interviews because he is missing front teeth due to an accident.
I'm in nursing,and with the missing teeth thing I guess some would be taken aback by seeing a nurse with missing teeth,but he has excellent skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

I'm talking about missing front teeth,a balding man,and other things beyond a persons control. I am going to include someone with an annoying voice.

I think my voice can come across as annoying,but I cant change it. I can't talk loud,and it sounds kinda "raspy" like a smokers voice but I don't smoke.
I also know someone who thinks they don't get call backs after interviews because he is missing front teeth due to an accident.
I'm in nursing,and with the missing teeth thing I guess some would be taken aback by seeing a nurse with missing teeth,but he has excellent skills.

I'm a smoker and I do not have a 'raspy' smokers voice whatever that is.
The easy fix is to get a partial or dentures to replace the missing teeth and no one knows the difference.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I'm a smoker and I do not have a 'raspy' smokers voice whatever that is.
The easy fix is to get a partial or dentures to replace the missing teeth and no one knows the difference.
That's easy to figure out. Its actually going to cost him $2000,money he doesn't have.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
Quote:
That's easy to figure out. Its actually going to cost him $2000,money he doesn't have.
Dentures don't cost that much and many places have payment plans. Remember this is an investment in your career and future no different than paying for college. The teeth thing is a HUGE deal and worth every penny he can do to fix it. No one wants to talk to someone with no teeth or poor oral hygiene and that's the message. If it's the only imperfection that's one thing, but when you add it to others it paints a bad picture.

The things you are mentioning deeply depend on the job this person is seeking as well. I remember interviewing sales reps once and I'd seen everything. I remember this one girl who did okay until she walked out of my office and had this HUGE snag run down the back of her sweater. It's attention to detail when representing herself relative to representing a company that cost her.

One company I worked for had a black sales manager (so no nasty grams please) and she was interviewing sales reps and came in my office across the hall and shut the door. She was laughing so hard she could hardly talk and asked me if I had seen the show "In Living Color" the night before and I had. On it was a skit about this dude with this exagerated geri curl. She said, "Go look in my office." So I casually went to the copier and walked back and shut the door. The guy had this dripping geri curl exactly like the skit in the show. She said, both of us laughing, "I don't even know if I can go back in there." She couldn't stop laughing. It was an old hairstyle and believe me there was no way she could have hired him.

So, do all the things you mention matter - you bet they do.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,031 times
I don't think the balding thing would affect a job offer. I lost my hair very young and always had job offers before this economy.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:57 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,637,428 times
Quote:

Do you medically have a condition? Or is this more psychological? There are folks who through stress and psychological causes present as having larynx issues but actually are "fine" and don't really have vocal chord paralysis. My suggestion would be to have this medically reviewed by an ENT and if you do not have an underlying problem then to work with a counselor/therapist to figure out the underlying issue.

If you just *think* you can't talk loud-- or feel uncomfortable doing so than work with folks like toastmasters to overcome fear of speaking out loud.

Lack of teeth in the front is something people will make judgements on- I would take out a loan or take out a payment plan to at least get some dentures or something for the front until I could afford a better alternative.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Where was the accident? What type of accident was it?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,180,768 times
Balding is fine but get rid of the comb overs and if you have one then make sure it's clean.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Balding is fine but get rid of the comb overs and if you have one then make sure it's clean.
Right on! Seriously, there are some very attractive totally bald men out there, but those who attempt to leave "some" of it, DO make it worse.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,809 times
Quote:

Things beyond a person's control... We can all find ways to fix our teeth. I agree about things such as height perhaps, but weight can be controlled. A decent appearance can be created, and we can all put on a confident air.
But yes, I do think it matters depending upon the position applied for. If you will be sitting around and not interacting witht he public, maybe not so much.
And seriously, I am not saying I think this is right necessarily, but there just are positions that are better held by more alpha people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment