Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,966 times

Advertisements

It wasn't an official screening but left a voicemail after missing the call and now I'm waiting because I don't want to miss the call again, as I'm sure phonetag gets annoying to employers. So I just said, thanks for the call about the position, look forward to hearing from you, phone number with moderate enthusiasm, nothing too desperate. 2 hours ago now. It's like I know, it isn't about me but I just want to eat lunch now but I feel I need to wait right here. So if you were calling out, how many attempts would you make? That's the concern, I'm thinking two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 PM

370 posts, read 1,366,003 times
Sorry to say but you may not ever get a call back if they called you about a job.

Some places just move on to the next available person.

This is very frustrating but it happens.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:13 PM

154 posts, read 524,669 times
MP, if you don't have anything positive to say...

I don't think it would be inappropriate to call back twice a day - once at the beginning and once at the end of the day. If they didn't want to speak to you they would not have left a voicemail.

Definitely don't tone down your enthusiasm or interest in a job for fear of sounding desperate. If you sound dis-interested or subdued, that would be worst.

Good Luck

Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM

It's realistic now for them to pass you by if you are not available when they call. Phone tag DOES happen...you can't keep chasing down people who have moved on.

HR/job agencies are notorious for this. They have other clients and may be too busy to check back in with you.

I can't tell you how many times I was called by someone who was trying to tell me this is the greatest job in the world, and I rang them back after I composed myself and they just never returned my calls.

I hope the OP has better luck.

She/he left a message. That's about all you can do or you look desperate if this is just to set up an interview. If you went on a job interview already, then be more aggressive.

I do hope they call you back, peet. However, don't dwell on it.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
If you're interested I'd call back several times. This is the age of the cell phone; there are laws against using your cell phone while driving all over the country now. I don't think its unreasonable of a caller to suspect it may have been unlawful for you to answer their call; they have no idea what you are doing when they called!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarysPoppins View Post
It's realistic now for them to pass you by if you are not available when they call. Phone tag DOES happen...you can't keep chasing down people who have moved on.

HR/job agencies are notorious for this. They have other clients and may be too busy to check back in with you.

I can't tell you how many times I was called by someone who was trying to tell me this is the greatest job in the world, and I rang them back after I composed myself and they just never returned my calls.

I hope the OP has better luck.

She/he left a message. That's about all you can do or you look desperate if this is just to set up an interview. If you went on a job interview already, then be more aggressive.

I do hope they call you back, peet. However, don't dwell on it.
That's not always true. It depends on the type of job.

The more higher up the position is the less likely that they're going down a list of names calling 100 people and you better be there to answer the phone.

If you're talking about going to work at Walmart or the Dollar Store, then yes the OP might have missed the boat. Or a temp agency.

But that's probably not the type of job the OP is talking about.

OP, if you didn't hear back today then call again in the morning.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I almost always miss calls for interviews and it has never resulted in me not getting the interview scheduled.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 AM

475 posts, read 1,370,966 times
No worries guys, person called back and I have interview tomorrow. I just get jumpy at this point as I've been out a while. i don't want to get too excited but it would be a great job and company. Plus, definitely a bit of future-proof in their services, even better.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet111 View Post
No worries guys, person called back and I have interview tomorrow. I just get jumpy at this point as I've been out a while. i don't want to get too excited but it would be a great job and company. Plus, definitely a bit of future-proof in their services, even better.
I'm so glad!! Good for you...and good luck...

Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
Personally I would call about 3 times. It is so frustrating, I understand I received a call from a HR dept at a company while I was in the shower and the call was from a blocked number and they didn't leave a call back number, and they said they would calll back - well they did 1 minute later.
When I got out of the shower 2 missed calls, 1 voicemail from the same department and I can't find a single number for hr where I can talk to a person. I guess I chose the wrong time to shower that day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment