Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times

Advertisements

At my place of work, we have what's called PTO (paid time off) days instead of it being categorized as sick/vacation/personal. This past year I was done with my PTO days and took an unpaid day off due to being sick. When I returned to work the following day, I was asked to fill out a Leave Of Absense Request Form. In my 6yrs with the company I have never been asked to fill out this form when taking unpaid leave once my pto days were finished and nor is it documented as a company policy. I told my manager that I never requested a leave of absense and therefore will not fill out the form. My question is, it is even legal to force someone to fill out such a form after the fact given that I never requested a leave of absence, nor is it documented as a company policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Why wouldn't it be legal?

If you don't fill it out, they will probably use it as a reason to fire you. It sounds like you might be on shaky ground already.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Sounds like the company is getting tired of you taking off more days than allocated by PTO each year. This is a sign they're sending a message to you that you're taking off too many days. They give you those PTO days to cover vacation AND sick days. You shouldn't be using up your sick days before the year is over. You need to save days or drag yourself in there sick. If you end up too sick to go to work after PTO, such as needing surgery, that would fall under disability and family leave. I think you're crazy for outright refusing to fill out the form. Talk about making yourself a problem employee. You better not take off any unpaid days anymore or they will fire you. Then again, you might not last that long because they could fire you for refusing to fill out the form.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sounds like the company is getting tired of you taking off more days than allocated by PTO each year. This is a sign they're sending a message to you that you're taking off too many days. They give you those PTO days to cover vacation AND sick days. You shouldn't be using up your sick days before the year is over. You need to save days or drag yourself in there sick. If you end up too sick to go to work after PTO, such as needing surgery, that would fall under disability and family leave. I think you're crazy for outright refusing to fill out the form. Talk about making yourself a problem employee. You better not take off any unpaid days anymore or they will fire you. Then again, you might not last that long because they could fire you for refusing to fill out the form.
Well I asked my H.R dept if this was a new policy and if so, can I see it in writing. They said there is no policy against taking excess days off after PTO days are used up, but if they notice a pattern or excessiveness, then it will be an issue. This issue wasnt only for me. It was for quite a few co-workers who also took unpaid days off after using up all their PTO days. I'm just confused as to how they can ask someone to fill out a Request form if the employee never requested a leave of absense. Wouldnt that make it a false document?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Why wouldn't it be legal?

If you don't fill it out, they will probably use it as a reason to fire you. It sounds like you might be on shaky ground already.
Because it would be a false document given that I never made a request for a leave of absense.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM

Hopes is spot on. We expect our employees to manage their PTO so they don't run out, and allow them to rollover a certain number of unused days every year.

We had one employee that needed extra time last year to deal with his spouse's critical health problems (that included a major surgery and long term post op care) and we were flexible with him because he put in extra hours whenever he could and is a very valuable human asset. It was a FMLA type issue, although our company is too small to be required to comply--however we do our best to be reasonable and accommodating when it's the right thing to do.

But we fired another who would call out because he got a paper cut. I think he had run through his PTO for the year by mid-July and then just tried to take unpaid time off. It just got ridiculous. And when he was at work he spent half his time causing drama and the other half screwing around on the Internet. Buh bye. Not a difficult decision to make.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Because it would be a false document given that I never made a request for a leave of absense.
You asked for unpaid time off. Same thing.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hopes is spot on. We expect our employees to manage their PTO so they don't run out, and allow them to rollover a certain number of unused days every year.

We had one employee that needed extra time last year to deal with his spouse's critical health problems (that included a major surgery and long term post op care) and we were flexible with him because he put in extra hours whenever he could and is a very valuable human asset. It was a FMLA type issue, although our company is too small to be required to comply--however we do our best to be reasonable and accommodating when it's the right thing to do.

But we fired another who would call out because he got a paper cut. I think he had run through his PTO for the year by mid-July and then just tried to take unpaid time off. It just got ridiculous. And when he was at work he spent half his time causing drama and the other half screwing around on the Internet. Buh bye. Not a difficult decision to make.
Well in this case, it just seemed as if you had an all around bad employee on your hands! lol. In my case, I took 1 day off after my PTO days were finished.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Well in this case, it just seemed as if you had an all around bad employee on your hands! lol. In my case, I took 1 day off after my PTO days were finished.
The point is that you need to be responsible enough with your PTO that you don't run out. Like I said, it sounds to me like you might be on shaky ground.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:

Sure you did. You took time off without having time on the books. It is very reasonable for them to have a paper trail of why you were off and not being paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment