Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times

Advertisements

Well, it seems I've done every job under the sun. Moved out here to work on some of the latest manufacturing technology, which has been exciting. Kinda bored with it now though, and don't particularly find the COL worth what you get. Too crowded, and I love outdoor activities too much to enjoy the city. Now thinking of a complete change. Found a guy in central Florida, basically in the swamp, who happens to own a pretty old school, yet profitable mold making shop. Thinking of packing all of my belongings once again and movin south. Figure it won't be the last time. Life is a journey

I think this is the perfect time for us younger folks to be taking these kinds of risks though. It was a risk for me to come here, yet I couldn't have made what I make here back where I came from. In about a year, I gained a new skillset that may serve as something to fall back on in the future. Saved enough to make a pretty hefty down payment on a house to boot. I know it's hard for some folks, but Americans have always been resilient. I guess we gotta pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and take some chances once in awhile.

Going from city to swamp... It'll be interesting should I decide to go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 PM

87 posts, read 249,469 times
I agree 100%, andywire. It's a whole different ballgame these days, and the rules that applied even 10 years ago no longer do. People need to be willing to relocate and go in different directions if they want to survive. I've lived in CA, MA, FL, PA, NJ, and NY. I've been a bouncer, bartender, painter, landscaper, customer-service rep, spent five years working as a wall street trader at a big investment bank, and I'm about to completely switch gears and reinvent myself as well. I'd like to go back to school for PT or PA, but I'm trying to decide how much of adverse effect Obamacare will have across all medical fields. I have family In Texas, Florida, and Georgia, and since the COL and tuition are lower there than where I am currently, I'll be looking to relocate soon.

As far as Florida is concerned, I lived in Palm Beach County for a little while after college and loved it. I was willing to deal with three months of brutal heat and humidity in exchange for sunny and 70 in February. People love to hate Florida, but there are much worse places to live. Some people will be miserable no matter where they live it seems. I say go for it and best of luck! Life truly is a journey...

Old 02-21-2012, 04:46 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer71 View Post
I agree 100%, andywire. It's a whole different ballgame these days, and the rules that applied even 10 years ago no longer do. People need to be willing to relocate and go in different directions if they want to survive. I've lived in CA, MA, FL, PA, NJ, and NY. I've been a bouncer, bartender, painter, landscaper, customer-service rep, spent five years working as a wall street trader at a big investment bank, and I'm about to completely switch gears and reinvent myself as well. I'd like to go back to school for PT or PA, but I'm trying to decide how much of adverse effect Obamacare will have across all medical fields. I have family In Texas, Florida, and Georgia, and since the COL and tuition are lower there than where I am currently, I'll be looking to relocate soon.

As far as Florida is concerned, I lived in Palm Beach County for a little while after college and loved it. I was willing to deal with three months of brutal heat and humidity in exchange for sunny and 70 in February. People love to hate Florida, but there are much worse places to live. Some people will be miserable no matter where they live it seems. I say go for it and best of luck! Life truly is a journey...
I'll take the heat over the winter any day Sounds like you've lived quite a life yourself. There is a world of opportunity out there for adventurous folks. I'm 25, and wish I would have found that out sooner! Besides, I love gator tail! As for Obamacare... I'm getting sick of seeing American's have to plan their lives around what the government is going to think of next! Buying a house is gonna be a trip in 2014, when that 15% sales tax is tacked on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment