Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
Most people make lateral moves. They go from one place to the next doing the same thing and keep getting the same exact result.
Actually most people DO NOT make lateral moves. What would be the point? There has to be some benefit (substantial at that) that overcomes the insecurity of walking away from a grounded job. There are three basic human needs that aren't taken lightly...the need for food, the need for shelter, and the need for security/safety. Humans by their very instinctual nature do not give these needs up willy-nilly. In fact, to give any one up for any period of time is a very VERY calculated move weighing all risks and benefits...even by the most dimwitted of us.

Bill making $9.00/hr working at McDonalds isn't going to jump ship to work at Burger King making the same. There is no point. Even if Burger King paid him $10.00/hr he still might not go. Even if the working conditions were just a little bit better, he still might not go. EVEN if it was ten minutes closer, he still may very well not go. Why? He has three years security at McDonalds and by human nature, one does not give up known security.

And I doubt the OP is in any position of management. This is just basic management and understanding your employees 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Employees are the greatest expense of any business and turnover is a huge drain on profits. Any minimally competent manager knows this. And if your employees leave, guess where they're going to go? That's right, your competition.

In this case, an entire team has voiced their dissatisfaction. OP may be glad to see the back of them, but all of them all at once? That might not be such a pretty picture--if for no other reason that if an entire team leaves, then the manager has no one left to manage, and guess what happens next?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:20 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I never complain about my salary; I never threaten to quit; and I never bring offers from other companies to the table. If I'm unsatisfied, I'll talk to my boss and explain why I should be better compensated. If it's a no go and I feel severely underpaid, I'll quit.

Using this method I've managed to keep a good working relationship with all my former employers. When I leave, I let it be known that there were no personal issues or hard feelings and it's just business.
you're really selling yourself short if you get a bigger offer from another company and don't at least mention it to your boss.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM

58 posts, read 56,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Employees are the greatest expense of any business and turnover is a huge drain on profits. Any minimally competent manager knows this. And if your employees leave, guess where they're going to go? That's right, your competition.

In this case, an entire team has voiced their dissatisfaction. OP may be glad to see the back of them, but all of them all at once? That might not be such a pretty picture--if for no other reason that if an entire team leaves, then the manager has no one left to manage, and guess what happens next?
Thats one of the biggest fallacies people seem to have on here, and elsewhere about employees.

Yes, Turnover is a pain in the rear, but guess what... So is having three negative cancers affecting your morale.

The problem on here, is that some of you guys have an unrealistic, "kumbaya " sense of what an employee is worth to a company.

A company of 30,000 such as the one OP works for, DOES NOT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT 3 GUYS. PERIOD.

As the other managers on here have pointed out, its a ploy, theyre trying to catch OP in a " gotcha " situation.
Neither one of them is going to quit.

They more than likely have seniority, its an employers market, and good luck collecting unemployment when you quit a job for salary issues.

I wish you guys would start looking at business like what it is, BUSINESS.
Its all about the bottom line.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
you're really selling yourself short if you get a bigger offer from another company and don't at least mention it to your boss.
Not a good idea and especially in this economy to go telling your boss you have better offers. You better make sure you do as they may tell you "good luck in your new position", or down the road if layoffs are ocurring guess who is going to get cut first?

Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I worked at a non-profit a number of years ago and there was no extra cash to go around. This was even before the economy tanked.

There was a group of my co-workers who each worked there for several years and they always complained in meetings about the pay. They wanted to be paid more.

In that situation, I thought they were very foolish. These were people who could have found jobs elsewhere, but they were too stupid to do that, so instead they just kept whining about why the salary level was so low.

The pay scale actually wasn't that much lower than other comparable non-profits. But if they went to those other places, they knew they would also be forced to work harder.

The trade off at this place was lower salary, but a super low pressure environment.

They essentially just wanted more money for low level of work. Funny though it was all women who did that. I noticed the men just quit and took better jobs elsewhere when they did leave. Never heard them b*tching about the pay scale.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
frizzo100"Management doesn't necessarily pay you what your worth."

No problem; if they didn't, you will find a much better paying job in no time at all. If you cannot, you're being paid what you are worth.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 PM

220 posts, read 475,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

My entire team is 11.

One of them said with confidence, he could get $3-$4/hourly more--I told him to "go and get it". If you CAN get more elsewhere, why are you here?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:19 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
frizzo100"Management doesn't necessarily pay you what your worth."

No problem; if they didn't, you will find a much better paying job in no time at all. If you cannot, you're being paid what you are worth.

Well I guess they didn't pay what they were worth. The other job offer was much better paying. Although thier current employer did offer a raise, it did not even come close to the starting pay of their new job. After 2 years on the new job (when they reached the top of the pay scale) they were making double their previous hourly wage.

This just goes to show you they were worth more than what they were being paid. Even though they couldn't match the pay, they did offer them an extra 2 dollars an hour. My question is, why didn't they offer them that money before they had put in their notice?

If they had, they may not have bothered looking for better paying opportunities in the first place.

I guess that is the chances you take when you are a cheap ass.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I've read many of the posts in this thread and I'm being very general on purpose. Are the folks in the real world as stupid about business and employment as the folks in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment