Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM

6 posts, read 26,984 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

I'm a newbie here and I could really use some good advice. I have been at my current job for about 3 months now. I like my job and I get along well with most of my colleagues. I work for a large Corporate company as an executive assistant/office administrator. I have never had a job quite like this and I make a good salary. My issue is concerning my boss/manager. I never get told anything positive. I never get told I did a good job on something or a "thank you"...nothing. I don't need to be coddled on a daily or weekly basis but just hearing something positive sometime would be nice. She doesn't have an issue when it comes on telling me about a mistake or short fall. I work my tail off and the majority of my work is done well.

There are alot of times she doesn't answer my emails in a reasonable amount of time or even at all. When I order supplies the approval needs to go through her and people end up waiting on their supplies because she took days to approve the order and then people are mad at me they had to wait. I have to reminder several times to please approve it. She asks me to do things or work on reports (that I have never worked on before or something I dont have experience with) and then she says she will sit down and we can go over it, but then that never happens. So most of the time I ask someone else for help. When I do have to ask her a question, I feel like I'm "bothering" her. I get nervous and sometimes have even stuttered! ugh

Then last Friday she had me work on one of her projects and its my job to assist her on some things. But this particular project was due Friday (to her boss) and she gave it to me to work on Friday at noon! So it took me until 5 to complete it and I forwarded the spreadsheet it to her before the left for the weekend (or so I thought)

Then I come into work today and find out I actually sent her a incomplete copy of the spreadsheet. Not the one I actually worked on! My fault obviously. She ended up taking today off and I'm not sure why because she is always there on Mondays. But via email she told me "I had to do it myself because it was due on Friday". I wish she had called or emailed me and I could have come back to work and sent her the correct one.

So I guess my question is, how to I deal with a boss that is so "hands off" and a bit unapproachable. And also I'm dreading going into work tomorrow because I know I'm going to hear it about this mistake on Friday. How do I deal???

I'm praying I don't get fired over it. That me be a bit dramatic but she makes me very nervous. Even with this, I do like my job..

Last edited by Carly031; 08-19-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 PM

sorry but anybody?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,593 times
i notice these types of issues almost always involve a female manager

tell her she looks good.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
i notice these types of issues almost always involve a female manager

tell her she looks good.
Um..no. thats all you got? smh.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:51 PM

156 posts, read 447,582 times
These can be really difficult bosses to work for. Just realize that some people don't give much praise. Do you see her lavishing complements on other employees? If you do, there might be a problem with your performance. If not, you're dealing with a personality issue.

Don't be afraid to be a bit forceful with your requests for help. Sounds like she isn't best through e-mail, so in the future, go up to her and say, "I need about fifteen minutes to go through this assignment with you. What time works for you?" When you go to this meeting, don't come and say, "How should I do this?" Figure out what you can and have a list of a few specific questions about the rest of it. I find people like the one you're discussing appreciate this approach.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPHL View Post
These can be really difficult bosses to work for. Just realize that some people don't give much praise. Do you see her lavishing complements on other employees? If you do, there might be a problem with your performance. If not, you're dealing with a personality issue.

Don't be afraid to be a bit forceful with your requests for help. Sounds like she isn't best through e-mail, so in the future, go up to her and say, "I need about fifteen minutes to go through this assignment with you. What time works for you?" When you go to this meeting, don't come and say, "How should I do this?" Figure out what you can and have a list of a few specific questions about the rest of it. I find people like the one you're discussing appreciate this approach.

She doesn't really have anyone else that works "for" her. She manages sales people and I know nothing about her interactions with them. Her door is always closed whenever someone is in her office.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM

132 posts, read 294,632 times
Yea I had a female manager who was the same EXACT way! She always kept her door shut, didn't answer my emails, and was unapproachable. She didn't know my job and therefore couldn't mentor me. She gave me projects that were way over my head and expected everything done right of way.

Oh I'm a guy and I firmly believe the majority of women make terrible managers. Yes now call me a sexist pig.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watusi View Post
Yea I had a female manager who was the same EXACT way! She always kept her door shut, didn't answer my emails, and was unapproachable. She didn't know my job and therefore couldn't mentor me. She gave me projects that were way over my head and expected everything done right of way.

Oh I'm a guy and I firmly believe the majority of women make terrible managers. Yes now call me a sexist pig.

I have always liked male managers much more. I don't dislike her but working for her has proved difficult and I can never figure out where I stand. smh

Old 08-19-2013, 05:12 PM

132 posts, read 294,632 times
She laid me off after 5 months. She was the worst of the WORST!

Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
Hun your first post and second post weren't even half an hour apart! RELAX. BREATHE

I feel for you, that is tough, I guess all you could do from that is apologize and then tell her it won't happen again.

I really wish I could tell you what is best to do, if I were in your situation I would ignore her behavior of making you feel like you are bothering her. Be nice and cheerful and don't let her get to you.

As for emails, my boss, a male, is terrible at looking at emails. If I were you, if you don't get a response from an email, then walk over and cheerfully say "oh hey I sent you an email for the order, can you please send me approval? So and so is really needing something ASAP but I told him we didn't have approval yet- THANK YOU!" Then walk away. Either she'll start approving things faster or you'll have to just go ask her each time

Also, if people complain you can say "oh I sent her the email with the order, but she hasn't approved it, maybe go ask her if she is waiting to approve for some reason?" that makes it clear the ball is in her court

Worst case scenario you could also continue looking for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment