Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM

44 posts, read 66,316 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in doing a 20 month PTA program (45K) now that I'm expecting a baby in 2 months. I think eventually I will want more autonomy, flexibility, money, and less physical demands as I get older. I would have to finish my BA and do a Masters in OT (27 k total). I should mention why I hesitate to go straight for the OT program. It is highly impacted meaning I may not get in on the 1st or 2nd tries and for the sake of my baby I would like to start working for a high wage sooner than later. However, incurring that much debt will not help my baby or me either so hmmmmm.

Another fact is that I currently work a job, for very low pay nonetheless, that is willing to be flexible with ANY schedule changes I need so it could easily take me through grad school.

I understand the differences between the fields having worked at a PT rehab clinic and my brother has MS so I have seen from the patient side as well. I like both fields a lot but I can see myself in OT for the long haul.

I am really interested in way down the line becoming a Certified Hand Therapist which I think assistants cannot become.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Is that the cost of the program or the expected salary? Around here, that would be an abnormally low salary for either position, but I cannot imagine paying that much to a public university for a program. Please don't go into hock for a private school, many of them are scams.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,028,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Is that the cost of the program or the expected salary? Around here, that would be an abnormally low salary for either position, but I cannot imagine paying that much to a public university for a program. Please don't go into hock for a private school, many of them are scams.
^^^^ A good community college should offer the basics and if you need to transfer so be it. Don't spend that kind of money on a course. You'll be paying it off for years.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM

PTA program is private school and the tuition is 45k. The only benefit here is getting in right away as PTA programs at community colleges are highly impacted and if I am to wait I might as well do OT which is what I really want at the end of the day.

BA at my current school plus Masters in OT will cost me about 27K total, public state schools.

I think I have answered my own question but more replies and thoughts ARE welcome

Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
That's a ridiculous amount of money for tuition! If it was Harvard, OK. But it isn't. Ask around how their graduates are perceived. In my field, I know of several directors who won't even consider a grad from a professional school.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
You'd be crazy to spend 45k for an associates in PTA.

Slow and steady wins the race in this situation.

If you want to be a phsyical therapist, go to school for your BS and MA

Stop looking for the fast way. You won't make a high wage sooner. PTAs don't make as much as OT.

If you go the PTA route, you could end up a PTA for the rest of your life.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 AM

Around here there are only DPT programs and they are 75K plus. It's horrible and the reason why I won't be doing PT.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
As a previous pre-DPT preparing for entry into one of these programs attempting to reconcile the massive debt required for a Certification that is dependent upon social programs which are failing, I can't recommend Therapy at all.

Look up RC 3-11. We may have PTAs and PTA instructors at schools looking for work real soon if not taking a huge paycut. 45k for a community college? That sounds exorbitant for that type of school.

PT is no better. They'd like to think with their DPT it's going to do something, but the reality is neither Payors or the Public recognize their Market value at what they have priced themselves at. I think the APTA is in fantasy acadamia land. It's not a good sign when grads are graduating with over $100K debt and the target population complains about $20 copays. It's an ancillary (secondary) service. No way no how does this justify the Physician-type loans kids are getting themselves into.

The APTA is helping inflate the higher education bubble that looks to explode real soon. I see PT education dropping in price significantly when Medicare goes the wonky because NO ONE is going to jump through the hoops they set up for Volunteer service. Great service yes, but many people are still on Idealistic / Ignorance Island.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
As a previous pre-DPT preparing for entry into one of these programs attempting to reconcile the massive debt required for a Certification that is dependent upon social programs which are failing, I can't recommend Therapy at all.

Look up RC 3-11. We may have PTAs and PTA instructors at schools looking for work real soon if not taking a huge paycut. 45k for a community college? That sounds exorbitant for that type of school.

PT is no better. They'd like to think with their DPT it's going to do something, but the reality is neither Payors or the Public recognize their Market value at what they have priced themselves at. I think the APTA is in fantasy acadamia land. It's not a good sign when grads are graduating with over $100K debt and the target population complains about $20 copays. It's an ancillary (secondary) service. No way no how does this justify the Physician-type loans kids are getting themselves into.

The APTA is helping inflate the higher education bubble that looks to explode real soon. I see PT education dropping in price significantly when Medicare goes the wonky because NO ONE is going to jump through the hoops they set up for Volunteer service. Great service yes, but many people are still on Idealistic / Ignorance Island.
As you posted "we may have". I am looking for potential program directors in all Allied Health programs. Some need just five years clinicals and the respective certifications. They are not easy to find.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
As you posted "we may have". I am looking for potential program directors in all Allied Health programs. Some need just five years clinicals and the respective certifications. They are not easy to find.
I think the writing is on the wall really. I was trying to give an easy blow. I think the PTA profession as we know it is a thing of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment